Delisted Reuben William (2015-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 182cm
Weight: 74kg
Club: Wilston Grange/Zillmere
Position: Medium defender

Prelisted as an academy nomination in the 2015 Rookie Draft.

Queensland’s Reuben William is amongst the third group of players – Medium Defenders – announced by the AFL to attend the 2015 NAB AFL Draft Combine in October at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.

Born in South Sudan, William moved to Queensland at five years of age.

Described as an “Instructive player who also tackles strongly”, William showed lighting speed and good ball use from defence in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 17 possessions and eight handball receives.

http://www.aflq.com.au/william-named-in-third-afl-combine-group/

Rueben William, to the naked eye, is a line breaking, athletic, highly skilled player who can change the tempo of a game off his own boot, but his story runs so much deeper than that.

http://www.aflq.com.au/13-days-until-draft-reuben-william/

REUBEN William's beaming smile and genial nature masks a torrid, tragic upbringing.

The South Sudanese speedster has certainly come from a long way back to be in the frame for next month's NAB AFL Draft.

When William was an infant, his father Deng was among two million people to die during Sudan's civil war, which ravaged their homeland from 1983-2005.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...that-matters-reubens-remarkable-draft-journey

NO visual cue is required by Reuben William to name any player in the AFL.

Quizzed last week, the footy fanatic reeled off the names of Mitch Wallis, Allen Christensen, Luke McGuane and Jack Riewoldt after being given their club and jumper number.

William is obsessed with AFL fantasy games and barracks for North Melbourne when Andrew Swallow plays and Port Adelaide if Brad Ebert and Ollie Wines are on the field — but only when they aren’t up against his Brisbane Lions.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/3a81a7e21131426815caf77540e4891d

I am really excited to watch this young man develop. Some others have mentioned it but watching his highlights and his dash and line breaking ability from half back reminds you of a young Pearce Hanley. Exciting times in the future if he can become half the player Pearce has become:thumbsu:

Has some dash but looks a terrible kick at best, I can tell why he fell to the rookie draft.

Last edited:
Has some dash but looks a terrible kick at best, I can't why he fell to the rookie draft.

I think that's a bit harsh on his kicking. It's not great but I wouldn't have thought it will be a big issue.

Has some dash but looks a terrible kick at best, I can't why he fell to the rookie draft.
admit it's only highlights and just watched them, and they are not going to show bad kicks. but the kicks i saw showed some good talent by foot, he didn't just blaze away, picked out a target and hit them and they weren't all easy kicks.

admit it's only highlights and just watched them, and they are not going to show bad kicks. but the kicks i saw showed some good talent by foot, he didn't just blaze away, picked out a target and hit them and they weren't all easy kicks.
Agree he doesn't blaze away but surely at this point players should be able to kick a football 50 metres without it hanging in the air for 6 seconds. We have to many players already who do the same thing giving the opposition plenty of time to spoil or get numbers to the contest.

Agree he doesn't blaze away but surely at this point players should be able to kick a football 50 metres without it hanging in the air for 6 seconds. We have to many players already who do the same thing giving the opposition plenty of time to spoil or get numbers to the contest.
I suggest you cut him some slack. And he's got a brother who's even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was kicking to position...the CHF spot to talls, his kicking staets in the reserves games were very good. His action has no serious flaw. He runse in a straight line .straight through and breaks lines under physical pressure...that marks him as a fairly rare commodity in our set up !

His action has no serious flaw

Going by the above clip, it looks as though he unstraightens his leg which causes the ball to loft a bit. Should be fixable, but I can see why clubs would have been reticent in taking him. Turnovers are a killer in todays game. I think he'll benefit from improved structures and having guys to kick to - that's not always a feature of underage footy.

His ball drop needs some work, he starts his ball drop action a bit too late and pulls it up a little too much for my liking. Also his leg is already 1/3 the way through his action before he lets go of the ball... meaning he doesn't kick it in the 'sweet spot' but more on the bloated (?) part of the ball. I like his straight leg action but maybe needs to follow through a tad more.

His ball drop needs some work, he starts his ball drop action a bit too late and pulls it up a little too much for my liking. Also his leg is already 1/3 the way through his action before he lets go of the ball... meaning he doesn't kick it in the 'sweet spot' but more on the bloated (?) part of the ball. I like his straight leg action but maybe needs to follow through a tad more.
i am by no means a ball drop expert:) how long has reuben been in the academy? you would think the lions academy coaches would have addressed this issue if they saw it as a major problem, the earlier age you correct technique issues the better.

i am by no means a ball drop expert:) how long has reuben been in the academy? you would think the lions academy coaches would have addressed this issue if they saw it as a major problem, the earlier age you correct technique issues the better.
no idea if they are trying to improve his action but I suspect they would be. I'm only going by the way I used to kick the footy and saw some slight changes he can do to improve his trajectory on the kick.

I expected Reuben to be saying all he said, but the way he said it really impressed me: confident, thoughtful and articulate for a young kid.

He just seems to have a really good instinctive attacking mindset when he has the ball. The highlights suggest a bit of skill work to do but the attitude to take the game on and the desire to do so is much harder to teach especially for young defenders.

He has the look about him of not being a real string bean either. He looks like he has the frame that can put on a little muscle in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back