Mega Thread AFL Victoria Points debate.

BrianSpeaking

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2007
@BigFootyBrian
AFL Club
St Kilda
So is it each week each team must not field a team worth over 50 points?

How are the uni clubs going to go with no under 17s and top best and fairests often changing so much every year?
Different rules for the VAFA, if a player goes to Uni or went to the affiliated school they are automatically counted as a home player, regardless of games played or if the player never even touched a footy at school.

The points system was designed to stop clubs in the WRFL and EDFL buying their premierships and to help country clubs survive, frankly the fact that it's being introduced into our competition says more about the lack leadership of VAFA HQ IMHO.

On another point, if I put my club hat on, it's the greatest rule ever bought in as we are one of the strongest football schools in Australia, happy days!

Fish 20

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2008
In a little pond
AFL Club
Richmond
Rooster 24 , BrianSpeaking is correct. Each Uni or club will be offered a "memorandum of understanding" form to nominate their aligned school team to have the ability to make kids coming through as "home players"

Believe it or not we will have to fill one out for our Bentleigh juniors as both senior and junior clubs are seperate or have seperate constitutions

Generally if a kid plays 2 years at U/19 for De La or SKOBs then once they come through to seniors ranks they'll be 1 point anyway with the discounts

Jimmyjack

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The points system was designed to stop clubs in the WRFL and EDFL buying their premierships and to help country clubs survive, frankly the fact that it's being introduced into our competition says more about the lack leadership of VAFA HQ IMHO.

On another point, if I put my club hat on, it's the greatest rule ever bought in as we are one of the strongest football schools in Australia, happy days!

Indeed you are. So begs the question why you have spent so long in B grade and see the need to load up on outside AFL talent who have no connection to “one of the strongest football schools in Australia”

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't have a problem with a points system in any league where players are paid. Telling a player he cannot play at a club of his choice for nothing in the VAFA because if he plays the club will exceed its points limit does not sit well with me. I thinks it's pretty farcical actually. Canada's posts are spot on.

I reckon one could reasonably call that the 'can of worms' position mate.

It's apparently fine for a player to play for nothing at a VAFA club he has a strong connection with but a player in another comp be prevented from playing for nothing should his strong connection be with a club that pays some of its listed players. I'd suggest that's flawed thinking, not to mention possibly discriminatory.

There are possibly some metropolitan or country clubs who pay their entire playing list but I'm unaware of any. I do know of many who pay only at the top end and many others who have a significant number playing for nothing or very little.

Candidly, I don't see a great deal of difference between a club that is able to pay a player $70k to play and do some club promotional work and a club that secures a player a job worth $70k on condition he plays there. One case is professional. The other case is pseudo professional.

Then there are the affluent clubs who can afford to pay travelling expenses and those who can't.

It's interesting how it's spokesmen from the affluent clubs who are most vociferously opposed to the points system. One in particular!;) I'd be much more impressed hearing from a battling club who is opposed to the points system.

It could just be that a community wide points system might be beneficial to the VAFA by releasing players who fall outside the criteria in other comps.

I don't see much of a downside in the VAFA becoming part of what is likely to include all other comps.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
The proposed points system flow chart for those interested.

3H35VUt.jpg

PS. AuckMel. Can I respectfully suggest the discussion regarding the points system be moved to its own thread.

BrianSpeaking

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2007
@BigFootyBrian
AFL Club
St Kilda
Indeed you are. So begs the question why you have spent so long in B grade and see the need to load up on outside AFL talent who have no connection to “one of the strongest football schools in Australia”
In regards to the first question, SKOB just had an undefeated season. In regards to the loading up on AFL talent(which may I add is pure speculation)that has no connection to the school, are we playing in an Old Boys only competition?

Bingle_21

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2006
Tittybong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would be good to see a more detailed explanation of what would be introduced. To me at least, a few things are unclear.

For example. Do a players allocated points reduce by 1 each year (until allocation is 1) as per as I think happens in other leagues using the system? Also what happens if a player who has been at your club for a number of years (so would otherwise be rated as 1 point), wins your B&F? Do they then jump up to 4 points the next season? Or do they just get an 'extra point'? Or is this only relevant to players you are recruiting into your club?

Penski

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
It would be good to see a more detailed explanation of what would be introduced. To me at least, a few things are unclear.

For example. Do a players allocated points reduce by 1 each year (until allocation is 1) as per as I think happens in other leagues using the system? Also what happens if a player who has been at your club for a number of years (so would otherwise be rated as 1 point), wins your B&F? Do they then jump up to 4 points the next season? Or do they just get an 'extra point'? Or is this only relevant to players you are recruiting into your club?

I believe that would only come into play for players you are recruiting into your club. It would work against the idea of the points system to (for example) have to move on a B&F winner that has only ever played at your club because they are all of a sudden worth more points. They would only be worth more points if they move elsewhere, to the club trying to recruit them.

Bingle_21

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2006
Tittybong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I believe that would only come into play for players you are recruiting into your club. It would work against the idea of the points system to (for example) have to move on a B&F winner that has only ever played at your club because they are all of a sudden worth more points. They would only be worth more points if they move elsewhere, to the club trying to recruit them.

Yep agree that makes sense and would assume that would be the case. Just didn't see that anywhere on the diagrams posted. Will look through the link posted by AM for more info (thanks AM), any one know how they assess/allocate points for players already in clubs?

On a side note. Being from a lower grade club with no Unders or direct School link does anyone know if the VAFA have thought about how those types of clubs will be affected by not having those links (e.g. not as many 1 points for 'Home Players')?

Back