Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

3 Vic club supporting blokes I had a beer with tonite were all impressed with 5 kids out of our system getting rookied = as well as 2 getting drafted elsewhere. Good vibes for the academy/

This is a great outcome for Qld football, and I think is being understated somewhat. The amount of kids coming from Redlands etc must be great for the local scene up their.

I am involved with a club in one of the strongest local competitions in Melbourne and for the first time am considering contacting some people I know involved in the game up North to explore some ideas. While it is easy to disregard the QAFL scene the sheer numbers of those being identified as good enough to make some type of AFL lists, let alone those floating around within the VFL should be turning heads in the football heartland. Hopefully this will be used for good & not evil, if you know what I mean (Fat Ed, etc).

Declan Watson

I understand that Watson got a mention at the draft function for the Lions as one to watch for next year. I haven't seen a heap of him but I thought I would give a bit of a run down from what I have seen.

Watson is a KPD who is listed at 192cm and looks about that height. So slightly undersized at the moment and ideally you would like him to grow 2 or 3 cms in the next year or so. Whilst Hipwood was the focus of the defence and they were a lot better down there with him playing loose, Watson got the hard jobs of actually matching up on the forwards. Generally he did very well in that role although I did think he was beaten by Himmelberg in the game against NSW.

I like Watson in a defensive role. He is disciplined and will play a close checking role. He spoils very well for a junior player and gets a fist in nicely. His big feature when I saw him play was his closing speed. He can give a couple of metres and still get there to make the spoil. He judges the ball very nicely in the air and will drop off on occasions to help out teammates. He is tenacious and will keep going at the ball even when outnumbered. I like his attitude at the back and his determination to influence the play.

I have not noticed his skills much but into he notes I have on him there are a couple of comments about him needing to tidy up his kicking. I don't think it is terrible but just needs some work. When he is out in space he is a nice mover and balanced in the way he gets around the ground.

So a quick, old school defender who is slightly undersized at the moment for a key role. So a fair bit like Gardner except a bit quicker.

Declan Watson

I understand that Watson got a mention at the draft function for the Lions as one to watch for next year. I haven't seen a heap of him but I thought I would give a bit of a run down from what I have seen.

Watson is a KPD who is listed at 192cm and looks about that height. So slightly undersized at the moment and ideally you would like him to grow 2 or 3 cms in the next year or so. Whilst Hipwood was the focus of the defence and they were a lot better down there with him playing loose, Watson got the hard jobs of actually matching up on the forwards. Generally he did very well in that role although I did think he was beaten by Himmelberg in the game against NSW.

I like Watson in a defensive role. He is disciplined and will play a close checking role. He spoils very well for a junior player and gets a fist in nicely. His big feature when I saw him play was his closing speed. He can give a couple of metres and still get there to make the spoil. He judges the ball very nicely in the air and will drop off on occasions to help out teammates. He is tenacious and will keep going at the ball even when outnumbered. I like his attitude at the back and his determination to influence the play.

I have not noticed his skills much but into he notes I have on him there are a couple of comments about him needing to tidy up his kicking. I don't think it is terrible but just needs some work. When he is out in space he is a nice mover and balanced in the way he gets around the ground.

So a quick, old school defender who is slightly undersized at the moment for a key role. So a fair bit like Gardner except a bit quicker.

I was happy to hear his name said Conale. I know the family really well.

Could somebody give some insight into some of the potential academy recruits over the next year or two? I know it is still very early, but I'd like to know who to keep an eye out for. Thanks guys! :)

Could somebody give some insight into some of the potential academy recruits over the next year or two? I know it is still very early, but I'd like to know who to keep an eye out for. Thanks guys! :)
I'll name one that everyone is excited about for next year. Jacob Allison. 193cm midfield prospect who is rated as one of the top prospects for next years draft at this early stage. He has a longggg kick on him(He kicked a 60m set shot goal in the Under 18 champs this year).

as lionshine said, jacob allison- many pundits tipping to be a top 5/10 draft rated player. +
jack rolls- have seen him at training this off season, looks to have silky skills and a smooth mover, midfielder. 2016 draft.
connor ballenden- key position forward. i have heard a few reports (i know very early) that he is a potential top 2/3 pick. 2017 draft.

Jack Clayton is another member of our academy, that was selected For the AFL Academy Level One (so 2017 draft prospect) The exciting bit is the players that really come from no where, Freeman, Andrews, even Hipwood at this stage last year. Just highlights the different rates of development, some will fall, some will rise.

Interested in seeing Ballenden next year, going up against equally developed bodies

Is Nick Weller still a part of the Brisbane Lions Academy? I was disappointed we didn't have enough rookie spots available for him last year as I believe he has a lot of potential. If he can continue to improve certain aspects of his game, particularly his disposal, he could become a very handy addition next draft.

Is Nick Weller still a part of the Brisbane Lions Academy? I was disappointed we didn't have enough rookie spots available for him last year as I believe he has a lot of potential. If he can continue to improve certain aspects of his game, particularly his disposal, he could become a very handy addition next draft.

IIRC he was already an overage participant, in which case he can't return to the academy.

Jack Clayton is another member of our academy, that was selected For the AFL Academy Level One (so 2017 draft prospect) The exciting bit is the players that really come from no where, Freeman, Andrews, even Hipwood at this stage last year. Just highlights the different rates of development, some will fall, some will rise.

Interested in seeing Ballenden next year, going up against equally developed bodies

Hipwood was in the AFL Academy and was listed in the AFL Prospectus as one of the top 25 kids in Australia. He was definitely on the radar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Declan Watson

Really like him. Stared for the Queensland team in the TAC cup. His marking is good and compared to Tasmanian Zac Beuchner is much more advanced.

So as much as I read up on our Academy kids, being in WA it is difficult to keep track of who is where and how they are progressing.

So this year we are looking at Jacob Allison and Jack Rolls (both part of AIS Academy) and potentially Declan Watson, is there anyone else from this years academy that is a legitimate draft prospect? Just so I can watch out for them during the season.

And next year (very, VERY early I know) but Connor Ballendan and Jack Clayton seem to be the names to watch? Any others?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back