Past Sam Murray - traded 2017, to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to see Sam get a chance at AFL level. I played a little bit of football at the Raiders this season and he is a ripping bloke. Copped a bit of criticism for lack of commitment and what not but it was a bit harsh in my opinion. Plenty of talent to work with and I know he's over the moon about getting this opportunity.

We are onto a good one here. Very few players on our list that would have finished top 10 in a Morris medal at 18 let alone top 5 like this lad. Only down side is he is prone to slight brain explosions and lashing out on players laying on the ground ( still a 100 times fairer player then Goodsy could every have dreamed to be)

Bloody hell his teeth are awful.

If you are reading Sam I know rookie contracts are not huge but save up for some dental work :)

Thalia's grill isn't much better, but hey, we admire them for their sporting prowess only, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody hell his teeth are awful.

If you are reading Sam I know rookie contracts are not huge but save up for some dental work :)

Haha, just watched his interview. I came here to post that I hope the Swans players get a good dental plan. Then saw this post

Collingwood rumoured to be interested. How was the kid’s 2017? AFL potential?

Every game I saw (which was only about a third to be fair) he used his speed pretty much constantly off the half back. Loves a dash through the corridor and set up some decent attacking plays but that was about it. Hard to judge because a lot of our NEAFL games afforded him the time and space that he wouldn't have at the top level. I barely noticed him when he wasn't shaking off tackles and going on a sprint, so I guess the question would be if he can add elements to his game other than being a great runner and carrier of the ball.

Like I said there would be others more informed than me since I've not seen a whole lot of him this year but I also didn't hear him being rated amongst our best in the NEAFL much either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every game I saw (which was only about a third to be fair) he used his speed pretty much constantly off the half back. Loves a dash through the corridor and set up some decent attacking plays but that was about it. Hard to judge because a lot of our NEAFL games afforded him the time and space that he wouldn't have at the top level. I barely noticed him when he wasn't shaking off tackles and going on a sprint, so I guess the question would be if he can add elements to his game other than being a great runner and carrier of the ball.

Like I said there would be others more informed than me since I've not seen a whole lot of him this year but I also didn't hear him being rated amongst our best in the NEAFL much either
The big question, and most importantly for Collingwood if they want him, is does he have elite kicking and DE...?

The big question, and most importantly for Collingwood if they want him, is does he have elite kicking and DE...?

No. His kicking can be quite comical at times from the small sample size of games I have seen.

Once saw him on the wing try and centre the ball to CHF, came 45 degrees off the side of the boot as a wobbly torp that still hit a Swans player pinpoint on the chest, in the opposite direction of where he was facing when kicking it. Was a fan after that.

His biggest strength is his toughness and aggression. Marking is also decent but kicking is very poor

In short he'd fit in quite well at the Pieville

Sam Murray

2017 NEAFL
Totals

18 games
8 goals
7 behinds
4 times in best players list
14 NEAFL MVP votes
Named to NEAFL Team of the Year on the interchange

Averages
13.2 kicks
8.8 handballs
22.0 disposals
5.4 marks
1.7 tackles
0.9 clearances
3.5 inside 50s
2.9 rebound 50s
82.28 DT points
70.2% kicking efficiency (6th for Swans at NEAFL level; min. 3 games)

2016 NEAFL
Totals

19 games
16 goals
13 behinds
2 times in best players list
0 NEAFL MVP votes

Averages
8.7 kicks
4.7 handballs
13.5 disposals
3.6 marks
1.7 tackles
0.8 clearances
3.0 inside 50s
1.1 rebound 50s
57.79 DT points

The one thing those stats don't tell you is:
- metres gained
- kicks inside 50 from rebound 50
- metres run with ball
- bounces
- tackles broken
- score assists/goal assists
- marks inside 50 from kick inside 50

Sam can be a superb wingman if he gets his ducks in a row. He's not great defensively, but uses his ridiculous pace to break the contests wide open.

He looks quicker than Jetta.

The one thing those stats don't tell you is:
- metres gained
- kicks inside 50 from rebound 50
- metres run with ball
- bounces
- tackles broken
- score assists/goal assists
- marks inside 50 from kick inside 50

Sam can be a superb wingman if he gets his ducks in a row. He's not great defensively, but uses his ridiculous pace to break the contests wide open.

He looks quicker than Jetta.

It's a big step up playing run & gun footy in the NEAFL as opposed to seniors.
The pressure on the ball carrier goes up 200%. Collingwood will chew him up & spit him out in an instant if he doesn't deliver on his 'promised' asset.

It's a big step up playing run & gun footy in the NEAFL as opposed to seniors.
The pressure on the ball carrier goes up 200%. Collingwood will chew him up & spit him out in an instant if he doesn't deliver on his 'promised' asset.

And we wouldn't?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back