Welcome Rookie Draft Pick #31 - Jono Beech

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the point of having a 25 yr old on the rookie list whom is not good enough for main list and u know is not going to develop much further. Rookie pick should be used for young players with talent that can be guided under an afl system. Oglvie iin my opinion is too obsessed with good news stories ie drafting bros, people from other codes, people battling adversity and callinan

Not sure about that.
A rookie drafted player is only guaranteed a 1 year contract. That young player has to show he's got talent immediately or he's under the pump to hold his spot. Curnow was a classic example of a young bloke having some bad luck, a bad fit with a team and not grabbing his chances.
Wilson was only 22 years old and lasted a year,they have to show something straight away or they're gone.
(Not talking Cat B rookies.)
I like the idea of one or two mature players being there as back up, who can step in immediately if we have a bad run with injuries.

The main draft is where kids are given time to work their way through the system as the minimum contract is 2 years. Clubs will normally extend their contract by another year even if it's a drop to a rookie year. All up they're given time on a main list.

The point with Beech is he is good enough (maybe not glamorous enough). Does everything well, he'll be a handy swingman.
He just never got given an opportunity.
Porps got dropped off the rookie list once, before being picked up again at a more mature age and he was a success.
People who never watch the SANFL or for that matter saw West a couple of games a year would have thought Porps getting a second try was a bad move and a wasted pick. How wrong they were.
Definitely a place on the list for one or two mature players who proved themselves over multiple seasons.They cover unexpected circumstances, put pressure on team selections and know it could be their one and only chance. Desperation works!
If they've got talent it's a good use of the rookie draft for one or two picks.

At least we are not putting 30 year veterans on the rookie list

IMO the AFL needs to review the rookie list as it is not being used for its intent and purpose

The AFL either have a rookie list and restrict the drafted players by age and games or they get rid of the rookie list and in doing so increase the senior list

Perhaps the current rookie places should be on an 'inactive' roster than can be switched between the main/senior/active list.

Whatever happens, a change needs to be made.

Well done Jono,
I could see him getting an AFL game next year.
He is clearly a step above sanfl and better than quite a few on our list at the moment.
With Hunter joining as a rookie, the playing list looks very balanced for the first time in a long while.

LC40 NFGKizza and any other Westies supporters…do you feel Beech has the engine and ability to play predominantly as a big-bodied mid in the AFL or is he limited to being a forward/swingman?
eh maybe. he played on the wing a bit but i doubt he could play there at afl level. half back/forward the most likely. but he'll work his arse off no matter what they ask of him.

Not sure about that.
A rookie drafted player is only guaranteed a 1 year contract. That young player has to show he's got talent immediately or he's under the pump to hold his spot. Curnow was a classic example of a young bloke having some bad luck, a bad fit with a team and not grabbing his chances.
Wilson was only 22 years old and lasted a year,they have to show something straight away or they're gone.
(Not talking Cat B rookies.)
I like the idea of one or two mature players being there as back up, who can step in immediately if we have a bad run with injuries.

The main draft is where kids are given time to work their way through the system as the minimum contract is 2 years. Clubs will normally extend their contract by another year even if it's a drop to a rookie year. All up they're given time on a main list.

The point with Beech is he is good enough (maybe not glamorous enough). Does everything well, he'll be a handy swingman.
He just never got given an opportunity.
Porps got dropped off the rookie list once, before being picked up again at a more mature age and he was a success.
People who never watch the SANFL or for that matter saw West a couple of games a year would have thought Porps getting a second try was a bad move and a wasted pick. How wrong they were.
Definitely a place on the list for one or two mature players who proved themselves over multiple seasons.They cover unexpected circumstances, put pressure on team selections and know it could be their one and only chance. Desperation works!
If they've got talent it's a good use of the rookie draft for one or two picks.
If we have to play beech this year then we won't be playing finals (suggests too many injuries to key players). In that case we may as well play a kid who may develop into a 8-10 year prospect rather than a guy who might get 2 or 3 years as he is already at his peak

If we have to play beech this year then we won't be playing finals (suggests too many injuries to key players). In that case we may as well play a kid who may develop into a 8-10 year prospect rather than a guy who might get 2 or 3 years as he is already at his peak

Forget Beech, (although he's only just turn 25 you'll get 5 years out of him and there's no development period ).
Young blokes on rookie lists obviously weren't first choice picks when the draft was on otherwise they would be taken in the main draft.
To me they're the speculative pick. eg ruckman whom have some ability Sandilands, Cox, Brogan, but the recruiters aren't sure and are there as a back up just in case.
The backmen whose not overly quick but shows a bit and has a big body or came off an injury. Or like Wilson has an X factor in speed but his game isn't rounded.
They might or might not develop so you have a look.
A way of managing, long term injuries.

Then there's Barlow, Porps,Pods,Peverill,Prittis, Patfull who have time in the lower league system and can be called upon at a moments notice.
One or two spots with mature players makes sense to me. Gives balance to your list and a safety net approach, your not left scrambling hoping a kid can step up when the unexpected happens.
Guess it's a personal preference on what you think the rookie list is actually there for.
I like this approach myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we are not putting 30 year veterans on the rookie list

IMO the AFL needs to review the rookie list as it is not being used for its intent and purpose

The AFL either have a rookie list and restrict the drafted players by age and games or they get rid of the rookie list and in doing so increase the senior list
I understand your argument, however the fact is whatever rules are put in place, the clubs will exploit them

IMO let free market run and clubs choose how they wish to use the draft tools available to them ......some will choose players like Adcock .....some will choose OKeefe ......some will choose Hunter

1. The Rookie Draft allows clubs to offer 1 year contracts over standard 2 year contracts on the main list :thumbsu: .......this allows for a quicker turnover of players if they don't progress in the year, or upgrade

2. Most players are not ready at 18YO ....apart from basically first round players

I'd like to see an increase in draft age by a year .......let 18 YO experience a year in the workforce to learn about the "real" world ......or start their University education which they can continue through their footy years

However allow each club one pick of an 18YO (with current draft age qualifications)

In this way i believe the clubs would effectively still have a first round draft on currentage qualifications, yet allow "most" players that extra year to mature and consequently clubs are able to make better choices

Happy with this pick. If we had a player in the crows reserves side posting the same stats as Beech and playing as well as he has been for Westies the last few years we would all be demanding he gets picked in the league side... he has shown he is one of the best players in the comp so what's the harm in putting him into an AFL environment to see if he can take the next step.

Happy with this pick. If we had a player in the crows reserves side posting the same stats as Beech and playing as well as he has been for Westies the last few years we would all be demanding he gets picked in the league side... he has shown he is one of the best players in the comp so what's the harm in putting him into an AFL environment to see if he can take the next step.
Vb and McKay now have significant competition compared to 2015. I think they will struggle to get games. No question we have improved our overall depth this off season. Competition for spots will be fierce

Vb and McKay now have significant competition compared to 2015. I think they will struggle to get games. No question we have improved our overall depth this off season. Competition for spots will be fierce
Yeah exactly, having so much depth can only help improve the league side. If players aren't performing there is someone else ready to take their spot.

I'd like to see an increase in draft age by a year .......let 18 YO experience a year in the workforce to learn about the "real" world ......or start their University education which they can continue through their footy years

However allow each club one pick of an 18YO (with current draft age qualifications)

In this way i believe the clubs would effectively still have a first round draft on currentage qualifications, yet allow "most" players that extra year to mature and consequently clubs are able to make better choices

Best thing you've written in ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back