Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any chance Devon could move into the midfield and Pickett come into the forward line?
He'll definely see more mid field time I think. He is more likely to be seen as a mid who rests forward as time goes by. I think he wants much mid time. Depends on how quickly the likes of Ahern, Hopper and Kennedy come along. These guys are out and mids and will be pushing the likes of Smith, WHE, Pickett and Whitfield out to the wings and forward line.

I really want Tomlinson in the starting 22, but I struggle to see where he fits.

Perhaps with the reduced rotations and no sub, his running will keep him in the picture...

I really want Tomlinson in the starting 22, but I struggle to see where he fits.

Perhaps with the reduced rotations and no sub, his running will keep him in the picture...

I think he's perfect on the interchange to start. Don't place him into a spot for the game, use his mobility and utility value throughout the game.

I think he's perfect on the interchange to start. Don't place him into a spot for the game, use his mobility and utility value throughout the game.
Zackly. He's your classic utility/swingman/chop out player with the tank to go anywhere.
That's why I think he's best 22.

Regarding the Williams/Wilson debate; I think it comes down to ball use. My opinion is that Wilson is a slightly better decision maker and better by foot.

Last edited:
Zackly. He's your classic utility/swingman/chop out player with the tank to go anywhere.
That's why I think he's best 22.

Regarding the Williams/Wilson debate; I think it comes down to ball use. My opinion is that Wilson is a slightly better decision maker and better by foot.
Williams can play midfield... Wilson can't. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Exciting times ahead for you guys.

I see a lot of you left out new recruits Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy, I see both of these boys pushing for spots.

Exciting times ahead for you guys.

I see a lot of you left out new recruits Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy, I see both of these boys pushing for spots.

Rule of thumb for mine is never include someone I haven't seen play at the highest level. Can't possibly be best 22 before playing a game. Next year might be different - hell by round 17 it might be different. But pre-season? Nope. Not yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big call, I see Steele and Hopper along with Barrett competing for Treloar's spot, not Greene's
Greene won't be in the forward line anymore... Palmer, Smith, Johnson, Pickett and Ahern all better suited to that position. Greene will have to earn his spot as an inside mid.

Greene is an accumulator can pick up massive amount of disposals is a ball magnet very good player he will not be pushed out of the 22. This preseason he just needs to work a little bit harder on his foot skills

This preseason he just needs to work a little bit harder on his foot skills

This preseason, least preseason, next preseason, every single effing day of his life - that man needs to work on his foot skills.

(I've been trying to figure out which emoticon to use to end the above sentence and to sum up Tobes, his kicking, his need to do something about it and my thoughts on the matter but what I came up with was...
:mad::confused::oops::rolleyes::(;):):p:mad::eek::thumbsu::thumbsdown::cool:)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-28/your-teams-best-22-for-2016?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

B: Joel Patfull, Aidan Corr, Phil Davis
HB: Ryan Griffen, Nick Haynes, Heath Shaw
C: Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Steve Johnson, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith
F: Cam McCarthy, Jonathon Patton,Rhys Palmer
Foll: Shane Mumford, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio
I/C, Adam Tomlinson,Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams, Toby Greene

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Caleb Marchbank, Tim MohrGeneral
defenders: Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy, Nathan Wilson
Key-position forwards: Jeremy Finlayson, Harrison Himmelberg, James Stewart
General forwards: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Daniel Lloyd*, Patrick McKenna, Jarrod Pickett, Sam Reid*
Midfielders: Paul Ahern, Jake Barrett, Josh Kelly, Matthew Kennedy, Jack Steele
Rucks: Tom Downie, Matthew Flynn, Rory Lobb, Dawson Simpson

The return of ruckman Shane Mumford and the addition of three-time Geelong premiership star Steve Johnson bring immediate quality to the Giants, while academy draftees Jacob Hopper and Matthew Kennedy increase their midfield options. Versatility and consistency gave some players the nod over more talented or higher-profile teammates. On the bench, Adam Tomlinson gives fantastic support to Mumford, but can also play as a key forward or back, and with less rotations this season, his running ability will be crucial. Zac Williams (running defender), Toby Greene (small forward) and Hopper (small forward) have the ability to play through the midfield, so they keep the likes of Josh Kelly, Jack Steele and Will Hoskin-Elliott out of the side. – Adam Curley

Last edited:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-28/your-teams-best-22-for-2016?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

B: Joel Patfull, Aidan Corr, Phil Davis
HB: Ryan Griffen, Nick Haynes, Heath Shaw
C: Tom Scully, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Steve Johnson, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith
F: Cam McCarthy, Jonathon Patton,Rhys Palmer
Foll: Shane Mumford, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio
I/C, Adam Tomlinson,Jacob Hopper, Zac Williams, Toby Greene

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Caleb Marchbank, Tim MohrGeneral
defenders: Matt Buntine, Adam Kennedy, Nathan Wilson
Key-position forwards: Jeremy Finlayson, Harrison Himmelberg, James Stewart
General forwards: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Daniel Lloyd*, Patrick McKenna, Jarrod Pickett, Sam Reid*
Midfielders: Paul Ahern, Jake Barrett, Josh Kelly, Matthew Kennedy, Jack Steele
Rucks: Tom Downie, Matthew Flynn, Rory Lobb, Dawson Simpson

The return of ruckman Shane Mumford and the addition of three-time Geelong premiership star Steve Johnson bring immediate quality to the Giants, while academy draftees Jacob Hopper and Matthew Kennedy increase their midfield options. Versatility and consistency gave some players the nod over more talented or higher-profile teammates. On the bench, Adam Tomlinson gives fantastic support to Mumford, but can also play as a key forward or back, and with less rotations this season, his running ability will be crucial. Zac Williams (running defender), Toby Greene (small forward) and Hopper (small forward) have the ability to play through the midfield, so they keep the likes of Josh Kelly, Jack Steele and Will Hoskin-Elliott out of the side. – Adam Curley

It highlights amazing depth, but I don't agree with quite a number of their choices.

For me, a few interesting questions to be mulled over by GWS during the off-season:
  • In the forwards, can we achieve a workable formation with Patton, Cameron & McCarthy? We should be able to, with a full off-season, but they certainly didn't click at the end of last year. Is McCarthy able to get back to his best form? How does Stevie J slot in? I've seen the previous discussions on whether he does or doesn't replace Palmer in the 22, but am cognisant of the reduced rotations which might drive a mid to be placed in the half forward line, which to me does place Palmer under a query, even if Dev Smith does get some more midfield time. And then, how on earth (except for several injuries) do we squeeze Pickett in to give him a chance to show what he can do? (I don't mind the Stevie J trade, think he will be good for the forward line development, just like Heath Shaw has been fantastic for the backline.)
  • In defence, who are our best KPDs? AFL.com has Davis, Corr & Haynes - which is actually the same formation that started the 2015 season, so it's not a wild stab. I just find that Corr is too easily outmatched, particularly by heavier forwards. Is, therefore, Mohr (presuming he's fit) a better option as second KPD (for now), with Corr and Marchbank coming in as injury replacements to build up first grade experience? They will surely play several games apiece in 2016 even under this plan. In the rebounding/medium defenders, Leon Cameron often named/played Whitfield, Kelly or Griffen at the expense of one of Buntine/Williams/Wilson/(in 2015)Hampton - with the progress of Wilson and particularly Williams, does he keep doing that (I assume that he does so to get more mids & general run into the team, which will be no less important with the reduced rotations in 2016)? Who is going to be Patfull's replacement, presuming that he retires at the end of 2016? He's been great support in the backline to Heater and Phil Davis, so which if our young guys can step up and fill his shoes? [Sorry Kezz, just being realistic.]
  • In the mids, where does Toby fit in? I follow both sides of the preceding discussion on him (and love Toby for being feisty and so committed, so am certainly not anxious to drop him), but with pressure from Ahern, Hopper, Matt Kennedy, Steele and Barrett, if they are better kickers and equal ball gatherers he does need to improve his disposal by foot over the longer term to avoid pressure for his spot relegating him to a 'depth player'. How long before Ahern, Hopper and Kennedy get a chance? Presumably pre-season and injuries will weigh in heavily on this. Where is Josh Kelly's best position? Can WHE recapture his best form? I was hoping for 2015 to be his breakout year, but I think his pre-season injury against the Swans nixed that, because he never produced his best later on. But with Stevie J up forward, and the new gun mids, he might only tread water (at best) in 2016. I also have a question mark over Ryan Griffen. I know that given the angst over him walking out on the Bulldogs, them paying for some of his salary, that he's signed until 2018, that he's close friends with Leon Cameron and Callan Ward, former AA etc will mean it's hard to drop him, but we certainly didn't see his best form in 2015, and I feel that he does need to step it up in 2016 (and later years) to keep his spot in the face of so many good young mids. I'd hate to risk/lose guys like Ahern because they didn't get an opportunity, unless Griffen is really pulling his weight as a seasoned player.
  • Does Mummy continue to ruck primarily solo? I assume yes, so who are the backup & occasional ruckmen? I like Tommo on the bench for his utility, can play forward, back and do the backup ruck job. How often does GWS play a second ruckman, and who of Downie, Lobb and Simpson are best to get that opportunity? Do we rest Mummy occasionally, and who gets that opportunity?
Overall, so much talent and only 22 spots - will be a hard job for the coaches to choose, but hopefully it brings out the best in all of the players.

Taking into account all of those questions, and the fact that there's a lot of pre-season training & games, and the bad luck of injuries before the first round of 2016, this is how I'm thinking of the 2016 team at the moment. Like others, I have not included any of the new kids until we see how they go in training - there's too much talent at the club to just throw them in based on their junior footy performance.

B: Joel Patfull, Tim Mohr, Phil Davis
HB: Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Heath Shaw
C: Tom Scully, Dylan Shiel, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Cam McCarthy, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kelly
F: Steve Johnson, Jonathon Patton, Devon Smith
Foll: Shane Mumford, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio
IC: Adam Tomlinson, Ryan Griffen, Toby Greene, Jack Steele
Emerg: Lobb/Downie/Simpson (in rotation), Corr/Marchbank (in rotation), Ahern/WHE/Hopper/Matt Kennedy

So, for me, Davis, Mohr & Haynes are the KPDs. Corr/Marchbank next in line and rotating emergencies. (Still think GWS is short of KPD options.) Shaw, Patfull and Zac Williams the other defenders. No specific reserve defender on the bench - Tomlinson covers both front and back with height, and Griffen, Ward, Whitfield, Kelly and Steele can drop back from midfield.
Scully and Whitfield the non-stop running wingers, with Kelly the back-up. Shiel, Ward, Coniglio, Greene and Steele the ball-winners, with some back-up from Griffen, Dev Smith and Kelly, perhaps occasionally Stevie J and Zac Williams.
General Patton the monster forward keeping close to the square, with Jezza and Sunshine roaming further afield. (I note the work that Sunshine did in the last couple of matches of 2015, where although he didn't get goals himself, put beautiful passes onto Jezza's chest, rather than bombing away onto his head, into a pack, or over his head. That's what we need more of.) Stevie J, Dev Smith the medium and small goal scorers, with one spot up forward for a resting mid.
Tomlinson and Griffen on the bench provide cover both forward and back, Tommo also the ruck backup. Griffen, Greene and Steele provide midfield rotations. Glad the sub's vest has gone.

Buntine unlucky, and there's a case for him over Zac Williams, which will probably happen at some point. Wilson also will fight Zac and Buntine for a spot. WHE squeezed out by having three talls, Stevie J and Tommo. Sad for Adam Kennedy - should get game time when injuries and team dynamics create a need. Palmer waiting in the wings for Stevie J to be injured or suspended. Stewart and Lobb options for Tommo's spot, or if Sunshine can't find his best. Ahern, Hopper and Matt Kennedy will put pressure on Greene and Steele for a bench spot, likely to get a chance if any injuries occur. Kennedy and Hopper have the extra string to their bow of being reasonable options up front, particularly Kennedy with his ability to play tall and score goals. Is he our Stevie J type player?

Plenty of pieces to the puzzle, and you only need to disagree with or injure one player, and several pieces will change. Looking forward to hearing how the guys are developing over the off-season and seeing who puts it into action best in the pre-season games. Very exciting times for GWS in 2016!

Tomlinson will be a weapon for us with reduced rotations. He is our mr fixit.

In regards to the ruck situation I can see Lobb/Downie being his partner. Simpson will partner our young kids when Mumford isn't playing.

SJ will organise our forward line into synergistic cohesion. Patton will play out of the square with Cameron and sunshine roaming.

Mohr is still a while away from returning so Corr will be a mainstay. But I agree that he needs to add mass to his frame.

I can see Pickett, Ahern and AKennedy requesting trades. Pickett less so if his family is indeed moving here but we took the kid at 4 and I can't see where to play him. Stewart will be thrown money from collingwood but they don't have a first rounder to trade and would a second rounder be worth a KPP with the athleticism that Stewart has?

m buntine, jpatfull z willliams
n haynes p davis h shaw
scully ward whitfield
s johnson j cameron d smith
mccarthy patton palmer
ruck mumford
rr shiel
rov coniglio
bench greene, griffen, stewart kelly
for me mathew buntine gets the backline spot over corr i think buntine isa very good backman and will end up taking patfull spot when he retires.
Corr will get into the team through injuriesand lack of form, he is just to skinny at the moment and needs to put some muscle on in the gym.

steve johnson leadership and smarts will be a good asset if he stays on the field for most of the season he can easily kick 30 plus goals.
ryan griffen i think he needs to stand up more next year he played alright on the half back line, but i think we need him in the middle cause he is a good clearance and stoppage player his most damaging is when he gets his disposals forward of centre. and if he gets tagged in the middle it lets shiel and ward, coniglio run free.
The last to bench spots josh kelly and james stewart get on my team because on pure talent kelly is to good to be playing in twos. but his spot will be taken by the likes of steele ahern WHE pickett hopper and barett if he does not perform. i think james stewart would be a good chop out ruck for mumford and he would be dangerous if he went forward. For me he gets the nod over tomlinson even with his running ability i cant see himgetting many games unless they turn him into a key defender or he dominates the preseason games and kicks more goals.
unlucky WHE, jack steele and hopper
WHE and has the x factor just needs to show more.
jack steele is a bull very unlucky not to get in i see a lot of a young callan ward in him.
would love jacob hopper to dominant in the preseason games he is a ready made afl player has the body for it.
it will be an interesting preseasonwe have a lot of depth interesting to see who grabs there chance at a spot and takes it.

Anyway here is my crack at it and while about 15 spots are locks the next 7 guys are just 50/50 calls at best.

B: Patfull, Corr, Davis
HB: Griffen, Haynes, Shaw
C: Scully, Ward, Whitfield
HF: Lobb, Cameron, Smith
F: Johnson, Patton, Palmer
Foll: Mumford, Shiel, Coniglio
IC: Tomlinson, Kelly, Williams, WHE
Emerg: Hopper, McCarthy, Wilson, Steele, Greene, Buntine

Anyway here is my crack at it and while about 15 spots are locks the next 7 guys are just 50/50 calls at best.

B: Patfull, Corr, Davis
HB: Griffen, Haynes, Shaw
C: Scully, Ward, Whitfield
HF: Lobb, Cameron, Smith
F: Johnson, Patton, Palmer
Foll: Mumford, Shiel, Coniglio
IC: Tomlinson, Kelly, Williams, WHE
Emerg: Hopper, McCarthy, Wilson, Steele, Greene, Buntine

Certainly a reasonable team and wouldn't be surprised if LC named it round 1. Did you put Lobb in place of McCarthy for any particular reason? I note comments during one of the Giants TV videos that he was having a good off-season training. My only other comment would be that with the reduced rotations, I would see this team as maybe short one or two contested mids with both Greene and Steele sitting out. Are you presuming that Kelly, Griffen & Williams step up in that area, or just don't see that facet as big a determinant of the team composition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back