Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Kingston is growing faster. Hobart City can have Moonah & Glenorchy can have Brighton. Also a player points cap will stop the buying of players like the Kingston players to Clarence. Their are ways to keep the balance more even. It aint that hard.

To be fair, most those Kingston players did go to Clarence before the Tigers were in the TSL.
Its not just population you need to be taking into account, clearly its about the age of these populations and the talent each area is producing. I will say it again, if you took Lauderdale out then Clarence would be unbeatable, no two ways about it.

Kingston is growing faster. Hobart City can have Moonah & Glenorchy can have Brighton. Also a player points cap will stop the buying of players like the Kingston players to Clarence. Their are ways to keep the balance more even. It aint that hard.

The actual distance between Clarence and Lauderdale and the extension of the recruiting areas is probably further than what it is with any of the other clubs in the south. The fact that they both fall in the one council jurisdiction is pretty much irrelevant.

To be fair, most those Kingston players did go to Clarence before the Tigers were in the TSL.
Its not just population you need to be taking into account, clearly its about the age of these populations and the talent each area is producing. I will say it again, if you took Lauderdale out then Clarence would be unbeatable, no two ways about it.
I agree with you. If Lauderdale were the team to go it would be a disaster for the competition. Clarence would be out of control. Also the rivalry between Lauderdale and Clarence is probably the fiercest in the comp and when you take the coastal derbies in to account that is really saying something.

The actual distance between Clarence and Lauderdale and the extension of the recruiting areas is probably further than what it is with any of the other clubs in the south. The fact that they both fall in the one council jurisdiction is pretty much irrelevant.

Well it was the policy of AFLTas to have one team in each city/municipality. North Launy in Launceston, Launceston in West Tamar, Prospect in Meander Valley. Hobart city in Hobart. Glenorchy, Kingston etc. So why 2 in Clarence? The recruiting zones can be balanced out.

Has Wade got a foot in both camps?

Well it was the policy of AFLTas to have one team in each city/municipality. North Launy in Launceston, Launceston in West Tamar, Prospect in Meander Valley. Hobart city in Hobart. Glenorchy, Kingston etc. So why 2 in Clarence? The recruiting zones can be balanced out.

Has Wade got a foot in both camps?

Wouldn't have thought so, he doesn't get on with Clarence at all and no reason for him to be doing Lauderdale any favours.

Wouldn't have thought so, he doesn't get on with Clarence at all and no reason for him to be doing Lauderdale any favours.

You are probably right.

The fact he lives in Lauderdale & mates with Windy, why would he show any favours.

Fact he was Clarence GM when they had lots of recruits & won lots of premierships, which apart from last year, they are still doing. They picked up Callinan when he had offers from NHFC & Glenorchy, Clarence clearly paying over the odds & recruiting from other clubs.. So why would he favour them?:rolleyes:

yeh, you're probably right:rolleyes:

Its been AFLTas policy to have one in each council area. Its not mine!

You are probably right.

The fact he lives in Lauderdale & mates with Windy, why would he show any favours.

Fact he was Clarence GM when they had lots of recruits & won lots of premierships, which apart from last year, they are still doing. They picked up Callinan when he had offers from NHFC & Glenorchy, Clarence clearly paying over the odds & recruiting from other clubs.. So why would he favour them?:rolleyes:

yeh, you're probably right:rolleyes:

What has it got to do with where he lives? Mates with Windy? Are you just assuming that because he played with him 20 years ago?
Not sure he was GM at Clarence for that many premierships to be honest, 1 I think? He actually fell out with them and the relationship has been scarred ever since, so yeah I actually am right, because I actually know and don't just make assumptions.

It would not surprise me if the "wish" of HQ would be to base Lauderdale closer to Sorell (Which is a fast growing area for Tassie Anyway) I remember there were some mutterings on having an AFL Football venue built in the Cambridge Park area.

So at the moment you can live in say Moonah and play for Clarence without needing a clearance? unlike the old Districts days.

What has it got to do with where he lives? Mates with Windy? Are you just assuming that because he played with him 20 years ago?
Not sure he was GM at Clarence for that many premierships to be honest, 1 I think? He actually fell out with them and the relationship has been scarred ever since, so yeah I actually am right, because I actually know and don't just make assumptions.
wade is a life member at Clarence football club
one team on the eastern shore(you can only play 22 players at a time)
makes life easier for clarence to recruit from other areas ,
a lot of their local players end up at Richmond fc and the old scholars
Just rearrange the zones to fit the population base
In the early 70s at the real Hobart fc we had the area on the eastern shore ,top part of the bridge which included Lindisfarne,
and Risdon vale etc etc etc
yes it delivered us John Thurley, dave charlesworth and i think Mathew Armstrong

wade is a life member at Clarence football club
one team on the eastern shore(you can only play 22 players at a time)
makes life easier for clarence to recruit from other areas ,
a lot of their local players end up at Richmond fc and the old scholars
Just rearrange the zones to fit the population base
In the early 70s at the real Hobart fc we had the area on the eastern shore ,top part of the bridge which included Lindisfarne,
and Risdon vale etc etc etc
yes it delivered us John Thurley, dave charlesworth and i think Mathew Armstrong

That's the thing, this aint the 70s, times have changed, a lot, and the population now live further out of the city than they once did.

Scott was also a prominent figure at the Hobart football club, being a former player, coach, William leitch medalist as was his father a premiership player and president, does this mean he favoured them also?

Last edited:
That's the thing, this aint the 70s, times have changed, a lot, and the population now live further out of the city than they once did.

Scott was also a prominent figure at the Hobart football club, premiership player, coach, William leitch medalist as was his father a premiership player and president, does this mean he favoured them also?

Yes times have changed. But Hobart still isnt all that big.

I mean it hasnt stopped Lauderdale recruiting from Cygnet, or Clarence from Kingston, North Hobart or Glenorchy.

Zones can be rearranged easily enough.

Yes times have changed. But Hobart still isnt all that big.

I mean it hasnt stopped Lauderdale recruiting from Cygnet, or Clarence from Kingston, North Hobart or Glenorchy.

Zones can be rearranged easily enough.

There is one less team at the top level than what there has been in the past anyway in the south, why should we get rid of another just because the Northern part of the state cant produce enough strong teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the big no shows the Laudedale football club
Mate as usual you pick and choose your responses
my reference to the 70" followed my statement that zones have/and still be rezoned
Michael Wades offical wake was held in the Hobart Football clubrooms
the People old Hobart football club have moved on from the last 7 years of crap in local footy

the issues with Scott and dominic Baker stem from the $500,000 gift to the twin oval development at Kingston ,2008(great development)
at that time kingston football club were playing in the SFL,after their original request to play statewide was denied
I suspect head office found out, and put the pressure on to have statewide footy play their, Scott then said thats ok ,i will get Hobart fc
to relocate their,whereby it started the current saga seeing Northhobart fc extinct etc etc etc,
AFL tas just kept moving from one train wreck to another
the people of HFC do not hold a personal grudge against Scott, they realise he and the current management of AFL tas(note all the board members have jumped ship) are inept and totally out of their depth in being able to run this small business

the big no shows the Laudedale football club
Mate as usual you pick and choose your responses
my reference to the 70" followed my statement that zones have/and still be rezoned
Michael Wades offical wake was held in the Hobart Football clubrooms
the People old Hobart football club have moved on from the last 7 years of crap in local footy

the issues with Scott and dominic Baker stem from the $500,000 gift to the twin oval development at Kingston ,2008(great development)
at that time kingston football club were playing in the SFL,after their original request to play statewide was denied
I suspect head office found out, and put the pressure on to have statewide footy play their, Scott then said thats ok ,i will get Hobart fc
to relocate their,whereby it started the current saga seeing Northhobart fc extinct etc etc etc,
AFL tas just kept moving from one train wreck to another
the people of HFC do not hold a personal grudge against Scott, they realise he and the current management of AFL tas(note all the board members have jumped ship) are inept and totally out of their depth in being able to run this small business

Really? You follow Hobart football club and you want to call Lauderdale the "big no shows"? Your club is an absolute basket case and has been for years.

How long do AFL Tasmania need to do due diligence and then notify the Football community if they are giving Clarence an exemption on Ian Callinan?
This is an organisation that did due diligence on clubs to start the league with, and then five years later wanted to cull 40% (Hobart, North Hobart, South Launceston, Devonport) of those selected. Given their record on the most important question they have faced, AFL Tas conducting "due diligence" appears appallingly pointless and lacking in diligence.

It would not surprise me if the "wish" of HQ would be to base Lauderdale closer to Sorell (Which is a fast growing area for Tassie Anyway) I remember there were some mutterings on having an AFL Football venue built in the Cambridge Park area.

The south of the state needs 5 teams in the tsl if you took away one team it would alow another to walk straight into the vacant clubs zone...i agree lauderdale and Clarence are too close
maybe the solution could be to relocate lauderdale closer to their zoned areas at a new sporting complex like the twin ovals in the cambridge sorell area..

This is an organisation that did due diligence on clubs to start the league with, and then five years later wanted to cull 40% (Hobart, North Hobart, South Launceston, Devonport) of those selected. Given their record on the most important question they have faced, AFL Tas conducting "due diligence" appears appallingly pointless and lacking in diligence.

AFLTas & due diligence in the one sentence would be an oxymoron.

When they killed off the Tassie Devils they started the 10 team SWL. Devonport were well over $500k in debt. Yet they still took them in. AFLTas did everything to destroy Hobartfc, SouthLaunyFC. For what reason one can only guess. Clearly they only wanted on team in each municipality. They could have done that much easier than trying to kill clubs off. Whilst they still have 2 clubs in Clarence area, it shows the bias that Wade has to those clubs. He's torn the guts out of other clubs who were in the same area together, why not those two?

AFLTas & due diligence in the one sentence would be an oxymoron.

When they killed off the Tassie Devils they started the 10 team SWL. Devonport were well over $500k in debt. Yet they still took them in. AFLTas did everything to destroy Hobartfc, SouthLaunyFC. For what reason one can only guess. Clearly they only wanted on team in each municipality. They could have done that much easier than trying to kill clubs off. Whilst they still have 2 clubs in Clarence area, it shows the bias that Wade has to those clubs. He's torn the guts out of other clubs who were in the same area together, why not those two?

Can't talk for others , but the time line with Hobart fc, was
applied and one of the first accepted into the state league
at the same time Kingston applied ,but were not accepted into state league
10 clubs , up up and away
Chairman dominic Baker, lived and played with Kingston
scott played with Kingston, so to appease KFC ,AFL tas spent the $500,000 on the twin ovals (as i have previously mentioned)
i think the SWL , was to be expanded at the end of the first 5 years to 12 teams , with Kingston and Ulverstone fc's to join in.
the financial crisis (2008) hit and saw a total re alignment of footy leagues around the country,
So AFL tas are stuck with the huge capital investment in a ground ,not being used at the top level
So the decision was not to expand ,but as Mr Wade was ,as he called it ,close to people of HFC
and he would personally arrange for them to go Kingston, either a stand alone tenant or in partnership with Kingston fc,
Trouble is AFL tas did not own the ground nor put a caveat on its $500,000 investment , it is owned by Kingborough council, so they leased it to
Kingston football and Cricket clubs.this was the start of the eventual fall of the city clubs
now with the help of the Mercury ,especially Brett Stubbs (another kingston boy) saw the demise of North, and nearly Hobart

The south of the state needs 5 teams in the tsl if you took away one team it would alow another to walk straight into the vacant clubs zone...i agree lauderdale and Clarence are too close
maybe the solution could be to relocate lauderdale closer to their zoned areas at a new sporting complex like the twin ovals in the cambridge sorell area..

Current southern zones below from rules and regs on AFL Tas web pages. Yep, there are rules and regs, for some.
Glenorchy
The region west of the Derwent River and north from Derwent Park Road and including the Derwent Valley north of Dromedary.
Hobart City
The Hobart Municipality including the suburb known as Lutana and south from Derwent Park Rd / Springfield avenue.
Clarence
The area east of the Derwent River from the Rokeby Fire Station and in a direct line north to and including Brighton, Pontville and Mangalore and south of the Bridgewater Bridge. This zone will also include Cambridge, Campania, Richmond, Woodsdale, Colebrook and Oatlands. The line to be considered the eastern boundary will be the Rokeby Fire Station and Woodsdale.
This zone will also include the suburb commonly known as Tranmere indicated by a line south from the Rokeby Fire Station to Droughty Point.
Tigers
All areas south of the Kingborough / Hobart Municipal boundary.
Lauderdale
East of the Rokeby Fire Station to (but not including) Woodsdale and east to and including Swansea. This zone will also include the region known as the Tasman Peninsula. This zone will not include Oatlands and the line to be considered as the western boundary will be the Rokeby Fire Station and Woodsdale

There is one less team at the top level than what there has been in the past anyway in the south, why should we get rid of another just because the Northern part of the state cant produce enough strong teams?
Strong enough teams? Northern teams have won the past few flags??

If the competition was to move to an 8-team based competition, you're still yet to give your opinion of who it should be? As stated from the start of this, this is probably unlikely, but an 8-team competition would increase the standard and eventually increased fundings for clubs. AFLTas want 8 regions represented, not 8 clubs.

Strong enough teams? Northern teams have won the past few flags??

If the competition was to move to an 8-team based competition, you're still yet to give your opinion of who it should be? As stated from the start of this, this is probably unlikely, but an 8-team competition would increase the standard and eventually increased fundings for clubs. AFLTas want 8 regions represented, not 8 clubs.

By strong I meant player and stability wise, they obviously cant field 3 strong teams all at the same time.

I did give my opinion on who the team would be, everything points to it being Lauderdale, I do however think that would be a distaster for the competition and we would have a situation where Clarence would be dominanting once again.

By strong I meant player and stability wise, they obviously cant field 3 strong teams all at the same time.

I did give my opinion on who the team would be, everything points to it being Lauderdale, I do however think that would be a distaster for the competition and we would have a situation where Clarence would be dominanting once again.

You keep saying that. However zones can be changed & a players points cap can be devised which limits clubs from recruiting from other zones.

We know the salary cap isnt worth the paper its written on. When SWL2 started it was amazing how Clarence could fit half the old Tassie Devils team under the cap! They must have a cap designed like the TARDIS. Small on the outside but huge inside!:p

It doesnt seemed to have changed much with Time Lord Wade running the ship.

You keep saying that. However zones can be changed & a players points cap can be devised which limits clubs from recruiting from other zones.

We know the salary cap isnt worth the paper its written on. When SWL2 started it was amazing how Clarence could fit half the old Tassie Devils team under the cap! They must have a cap designed like the TARDIS. Small on the outside but huge inside!:p

It doesnt seemed to have changed much with Time Lord Wade running the ship.

So where do you think they will zone kids who live in Cremorne, Dodges Ferry, Rokeby, Oakdowns, Acton Park to? They take away there nearest club, oh and by the way you have to play for Glenorchy.

So where do you think they will zone kids who live in Cremorne, Dodges Ferry, Rokeby, Oakdowns, Acton Park to? They take away there nearest club, oh and by the way you have to play for Glenorchy.

Thats a stupid comment & you know it.

In the last SWL those sort of kids played local footy. Then if they wanted to play SWL at some stage, they went to Clarence. The same now applies to Kingston with kids down the huon, or Glenorchy with Derwent valley kids, or Burnie with the Circular head area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back