Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2015-11-27/willis-it-was-a-huge-surprise

The GC interviewer should have asked:

'We've heard a few guys on Big Footy liken your game to Chris Judd, do think that is pretty accurate comparison?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like that Dom said they had high expectations of him - give him every chance to make it early on

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2015-11-27/inner-sanctum-introducing-the-draftees
Level headed, well spoken young man. We may have found a pretty handy 1/2 back that can run thru the midfield, exciting times!

Love this quote “It didn’t really sink in and then my parents tackled me to the ground. It was a huge surprise.”

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's a huge step up from Tasmanian league footy to the AFL and his going to take time to adjust. Let him settle into the system and hopefully he can develop next year in the NEAFL

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's a huge step up from Tasmanian league footy to the AFL and his going to take time to adjust. Let him settle into the system and hopefully he can develop next year in the NEAFL
Not as big as the step up from TAC cup to the AFL though, and lots of people have managed that straight away.

Gee, that highlights package isn't half-bad. Seems to have quite a few strings to his bow with pace, strength, can break the lines and kick goals. Will be interesting to see how he goes over pre-season and NAB cup and see if he can get up to the necessary level quickly enough to be a chance for round 1. Makes the fight for midfield minutes even more hotly contested now, but he can play forward and back as well which will help his chances.

Aaron Hall did OK in the same scenario
To be fair, it took Hall 3 1/2 years and just about every other midfielder injured to show he could play at the level. Although if Willis can produce the same results as Hall I won't be disappointed (Although that is setting the bar fairly low compared to the Judd/Ablett comparisons. :D)

To be fair, it took Hall 3 1/2 years and just about every other midfielder injured to show he could play at the level. Although if Willis can produce the same results as Hall I won't be disappointed (Although that is setting the bar fairly low compared to the Judd/Ablett comparisons. :D)
I think setting the bar at Aaron Hall is a lot more realistic. :thumbsu:

Mind you, I have always been really dubious when it comes to comparing new draftees to current players or past superstars. I recently looked up Ryan Burton (went to the Hawks) because somebody compared him to Jake Stringer, so I had a look at his highlights package for the draft, then looked at Jake Stringer's highlights package during his draft year as an even comparison, and they were completely different players. Another draftee of theirs Kieren Lovell was being compared to Sam Mitchell, and although Lovell is a proven accumulator, they're pretty damn different, too - albeit the comparison is more apt than Burton and Stringer as at least Lovell and Mitchell are both similarly good in traffic. Lovell showed off a decent handball (probably where the Mitchell comparison likely stems from), but I noticed his tackling pressure at times (or lack-thereof) was very Boomer-esque. His actual body-movement and agility very slightly reminded me of Robbie Gray, but I think that comparison had to do with similar hairstyles more than anything. He was noticeably more athletic than Sam Mitchell, that's for sure.

Anyway, my point: I think a lot of the comparisons that get thrown around are way off base. :D

Gee, that highlights package isn't half-bad. Seems to have quite a few strings to his bow with pace, strength, can break the lines and kick goals. Will be interesting to see how he goes over pre-season and NAB cup and see if he can get up to the necessary level quickly enough to be a chance for round 1. Makes the fight for midfield minutes even more hotly contested now, but he can play forward and back as well which will help his chances.

Disagree - he made in impact straight away and then dropped away before finding his feet

Looks like a dustin Martin type to me..
Strong and slippery around the contest..
Good break away speed but not fast top speed..
Nice side step/candy
Nice fend off.
Kicks look a little loopy but hit there targets
Looked a strong 1on1 contested mark

+1

Plus:

• Good decision maker - 2 highlights noticed (yes have watched 10 times, 8 with my pants on) :

1. takes ball from contest, steps back inside, draws the tackler to him, buys time for teammates to get to the outside and then releases to the outside to 2 teammates (3:00)
2. Breaks from the contest, sidesteps player, recognises a teammate on his own on other side of ground, stops on a dime, delivers to open player while under pressure (albeit the eventual pressure was piss weak) (4:32)

• Runs with purpose and demands the footy (1:58)
  • Courageous, desperate with multiple efforts (6:03) & (6:11)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Juddy / Dusty comparisons are interesting. I honestly was reminded of unpolished Ben Cousins. Won his own footy, Ran his guts out, had some class finishes and just makes effort after effort.

However if the guy becomes close to any of these players we have done exceptionally well.

McKenzie Willis 2013 highlights - an early Xmas gift - just more of the same

Just to temper expectations and put it in context have a look at what Aaron Hall did in the same comp a couple of year before - looked like GAJ in this comp - who knows he might just be transforming into him if he improves from the back end of last year :cool:

Mackenzie Willis made his debut in trying conditions in a 120-point loss to Geelong last Saturday. 11 disposals, 32 fantasy points and a rating of 2/10 by SEN. If he keeps his spot this week I hope he can do better.

Back