Do the equalisation methods need tweaking?

Remove this Banner Ad

But that reasoning works no matter how much they pay. If Sydney got Heeney for free, it would be about boosting the ratio. If they had to pay pick 18, it would be about the ratio. If they had to somehow get pick 2, it would be about the ratio.

The overall goal doesn't change just because of clubs getting a pretty big discount. If academy clubs had to pay more, it would still help the ratio, but it wouldn't be giving them such a big leg up.
True but we like also having the discount. Comes with the work put in at academy lvl.

So why not have the AFL run the academies with no priority access to certain clubs?
Swans supporters may correct me but I think the afl used to try to run academy in the form of nsw scholarship program. It didn't work.

Swans supporters may correct me but I think the afl used to try to run academy in the form of nsw scholarship program. It didn't work.

You talking about the scholarship program that took Jarrod Witts to Collingwood, Ryan Davis to the Eagles for nothing? Nothing !!

Good to see Davis getting another crack at the Suns :thumbsu: ...

Last edited:

Go back a few years do you think the ladder would look differently if say Collingwood, Hawthorn had to travel to Simmonds and play Geelong at home? or Collingwood travel to play Hawthorn at Tassie.

Remember even one loss could change the whole mix of the top 4.

Are you alluding to us in 2010?

we were very dominant in the 2nd half of that year through to end of 2011.

True but we like also having the discount. Comes with the work put in at academy lvl.

We all know you like it. In the same way that i would like it if Hawthorn got the first 5 draft picks every year. Doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen. What comes with the work put in at the academy is exclusive access to players, sometimes even elite draftees while the club is contending for premierships. If the goal is to increase the NSW intake then some extra advantage is not needed.

We all know you like it. In the same way that i would like it if Hawthorn got the first 5 draft picks every year. Doesn't mean it should be allowed to happen. What comes with the work put in at the academy is exclusive access to players, sometimes even elite draftees while the club is contending for premierships. If the goal is to increase the NSW intake then some extra advantage is not needed.

Nah it should happen.
Boosting the home grown players for the northern clubs allows a more fair and balanced base that all clubs can start from.

Yeah it is needed. Otherwise all that work and they go to a vic club. Eeeew.

bidding system is yet another example of the AFL manipulating the natural order of things.

it's just rules and procedures to counter the effects of other rules and procedures. it's arbitrary, all becoming a joke, and quite frankly - BS.

Swans in the past two drafts have landed two top three rated players / mids. It's cost them pick 17 and this year pick 36,37 and 39 in a weak draft.

And you thinks it's BS and a joke?

Cry us a river.:confused::cool:

Nah it should happen.
Boosting the home grown players for the northern clubs allows a more fair and balanced base that all clubs can start from.

Yeah it is needed. Otherwise all that work and they go to a vic club. Eeeew.

I think we can all agree that boosting the number of NSW/QLD draftees is a great initiative, but your reasoning for why academy clubs need to get highly rated players at discounted rates is because they can't be allowed to go to Vic clubs? Getting exclusive access to these players more than compensates these clubs for the work they do.

I think we can all agree that boosting the number of NSW/QLD draftees is a great initiative, but your reasoning for why academy clubs need to get highly rated players at discounted rates is because they can't be allowed to go to Vic clubs? Getting exclusive access to these players more than compensates these clubs for the work they do.
No im saying we need to build the ratio of home grown players on northern clubs.
We are paying enough now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we talking about the Northern clubs when there is a club that has just won 3 premierships in a row and looks like strong favourites to win a 4th in a row? Shouldn't we instead be talking about how there is a system in place that allows 1 team to stay dominant for so long in a supposedly fair and equal system?

Why are we talking about the Northern clubs when there is a club that has just won 3 premierships in a row and looks like strong favourites to win a 4th in a row? Shouldn't we instead be talking about how there is a system in place that allows 1 team to stay dominant for so long in a supposedly fair and equal system?

You cant blame the Hawks for that, and I dont blame the system for that. Theres no suggestion that the Hawks have done anything poor in the draft. They just dont pick up stuff in the draft for the hell of it - they seem to be able to develop player and rotate out older guys before they become liabilities.

You cant blame the Hawks for that, and I dont blame the system for that. Theres no suggestion that the Hawks have done anything poor in the draft. They just dont pick up stuff in the draft for the hell of it - they seem to be able to develop player and rotate out older guys before they become liabilities.

I would argue free agency is helping them quite a bit.

I would argue free agency is helping them quite a bit.

Free agency is helping quite a few clubs quite a bit, and was always going to be detrimental to the lower and less successful clubs. For most its culture. Hawthorn operate under the same salary cap as everyone else (except for the time being, certain other clubs).

Disagree. We pay enough.

A nsw kid pick? Yes

Nobody would ever give up pick 3 for three picks in the 30's, so there's no doubt academy clubs are paying way unders for certain players.

Haven't Sydney been contending for flags since 2012 as well? Just because Hawthorn have had a bit of luck and won them doesn't change a whole lot. We could have easily lost three prelims and won only 1 flag, under the exact same system. You mention free agency in a later post. Laughable, considering the only reason we were FA players is because Sydney took our highest paid player under that system. Free agency has helped Sydney more than us, Franklin is worth far, far more than Frawley and pick 18.

And you still get to pick up top 3 draft picks while contending for flags.

We gave up pick 14 and Craig Bird for pick 3 essentially.

So a top 3 pick for pick 14 and a guy who played only 6 games in 2015, and was probably never going to be best 22 again. Jeez, if that's not unders, i don't know what is.

EDIT: Like this feels like a BF trade proposal of two duds, and half a packet of chips for one of the best players in this years draft. Okay.

Where the player pool comes from is as relevant as where they end up playing?

IF Victorian clubs as a whole draft more players from other states than they contribute then that goes against the whole argument for the northern academies in the first place as the Victorian clubs will be more susceptible to losing players due to the "go home" factor - which is what was the crux of the discussion if you would care to follow.

But it's also about boosting the ratio of home grown in those teams.

You're in a professional competition, you shouldn't have access to priority picks every single year just because those players grew up in your backyard. The VFL/AFL got rid of zones for a reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back