Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Even more reason to play night games there if the other team isn't acclimated to it :)

But tbh certain sections of the G (generally top level near the gaps between the stands on either end of the Great Southern Stand) can be absolutely bone chilling too. I was sitting in such a spot at last fridays match and it was colder then any non-raining KP match I can remember, which admittedly wasn't helped by the 8 or so beers I had at the match in an effort to help erase it from my memory :oops:
Yeah I was third tier in AFL members the night before (Hawthorn v Richmond) and was absolutely freezing, kept bitching to the Victorian mate I was with about it, so during quarter/half/three-quarter time he'd bring me inside that AFL members room.

Following day made the sensible decision to wear two hoodies instead of just the one. Would've thought KP at night would be much colder. Honestly baffles me how Victorians don't like Docklands

Yeah I was third tier in AFL members the night before (Hawthorn v Richmond) and was absolutely freezing, kept bitching to the Victorian mate I was with about it, so during quarter/half/three-quarter time he'd bring me inside that AFL members room.

Following day made the sensible decision to wear two hoodies instead of just the one. Would've thought KP at night would be much colder. Honestly baffles me how Victorians don't like Docklands

The upper levels of the G act like a wind tunnel with any half decent breeze, would be more comfortable if it was 5 degrees colder but with no wind :thumbsdown:

KP doesn't tend to have a major wind problem, being so close to the Barwon it's kinda protected in a valley a little bit. The urban heat island effect tends to make the Melbourne CBD warmer at night and more predictable temperature wise during the day compared to Geelong (and Melbourne's outer suburbs), plus KP is only ~30% of the ground is protected from rain so you can have very unpleasant days in Geelong the same way you could out at Waverley.

I've never quite understood the dislike for Docklands either, but at the same time it's hard really like the place either. It's just so generic and stale.. and if we're talking about wind then nothing matches the wind the second you leave the ground, particularly at night :eek:

Love going down to KP, Geelong have future proofed the ground now and there is no way there will be any less than 8 games in Geelong from now on. The reality is if the club wasn't so scared of losing their Melbourne members they could just about play all their games at home, charge an even higher premium on memberships and float along as a financially okay side.

I'm just looking forward to Ballarat getting games in 2018, if people think Geelong is cold then they should come see a game in July here.

Another upgrade has begun to Simmonds Stadium, much better facilities on the city side of the ground but as a Geelong resident I see this as completely unnecessary. Geelong are struggling to fill the joint at the best of times and unless it's used for another sport (big bash) it is a waste of another 89mill.

http://m.geelongadvertiser.com.au/n...low-stand-begins/story-fnjuhovy-1227558577621
As a resident and a rate payer who lives beside the ground i believe it is required do u realise how much $$$ The City makes from Geelong home games?

It is required to build the club so we dont have to sell our home games to Tasmania

Another upgrade has begun to Simmonds Stadium, much better facilities on the city side of the ground but as a Geelong resident I see this as completely unnecessary. Geelong are struggling to fill the joint at the best of times and unless it's used for another sport (big bash) it is a waste of another 89mill.

http://m.geelongadvertiser.com.au/n...low-stand-begins/story-fnjuhovy-1227558577621

Quite simple - move every single home game (and home final) to Geelong.

Been there twice. Once in 2011 (and did standing room before that was gone) and once this year. It's not a bad stadium, and I can see why Geelong supporters/residents like it, but compared to the Melbourne stadiums it's quite bog ordinary with expensive tickets. If the rumours of Essendon playing there for the first time in 23 years are true think I'll be watching on TV rather than spending 90 minutes each way on trains.

do u realise how much $$$ The City makes from Geelong home games?

How much?

Been there twice. Once in 2011 (and did standing room before that was gone) and once this year. It's not a bad stadium, and I can see why Geelong supporters/residents like it, but compared to the Melbourne stadiums it's quite bog ordinary with expensive tickets. If the rumours of Essendon playing there for the first time in 23 years are true think I'll be watching on TV rather than spending 90 minutes each way on trains.
i doubt it, Essendon finally get a game vs geelong at the G this year,for several years now the games have sold out at Etihad, so there would be buckley's chance of Essendon playing at Kardinia park

How much?
It's ridiculously expensive - and they wonder why they can't fill it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love going down to Geelong and standing on the terrace with a few beers. Has an old school/boutique feel to it. Going to be awesome when they finish the redevelopments.
Only thing is the atmosphere- hardly an intimidating place. The Geelong faithful are a friendly bunch.

Any pics of this interesting box?
Now updated to include the coaches box and the TV and print media boxes

Redevelopment3.jpg

[Behind the semi-trailer]
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-26/stage-4-redevelopment-update

it does but its all those season ticket holders. its like WCE at subiaco & Essendon at Etihad, the game is announced as a sell out but 5 to 10k of the seats are still available:(
Not really, there are always thousands of unsold public seats at kardinia. this year I never had any trouble walking up on the day and getting a seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back