Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Ogilvie said they changed their order of preference after receiving a medical report last Friday, the same time as Burton was doing medical tests. We didn't take burton so you can draw the conclusion that if the report changed their order of preference it wasn't positive.
Or he moved up, but still behind the others

That would make sense if he was our first choice for that pick, which he wasn't. We know they rated Himmelberg higher, if they traded down the pick there was less chance of getting Himmelberg. Most likely is we expected Carlton to take Curnow with their first pick, so we could take Harry McKay and hope Milera lasts until pick 13. Had they downgraded there would have been no chance of their ideal draft happening. They weren't to know that Curnow would get caught drink driving meaning Carlton could pick him up with their pick 11.
Or we could have made the decision there was a fair chance our ideal draft wouldn't eventuate and by trading 13 away we could secure Tom who we rated just after Himmelberg and we could also get in another quality player.

We made the choice to do what we did, you just can't say oh well it didn't work out but we made the correct choice anyway when we clearly didn't.

The general public, phantom drafters, draft experts, recruiters.

The purpose of the draft is to find the people who will become the best footballers, the general public, phantom drafters, draft experts and recruiters have been pretty wrong in every draft there has been. The recruiters are the ones who know best, but each recruiter would have different opinions, as a group using the laws of the draft they get it wrong, but when you look at the results of individual recruiters, some get it right much more often than average. Ogilvie is one of those.

Just because Nat Fyfe was taken at 20, doesn't mean every club thought he was the 20th best player in the draft, the team who had pick 5 may have thought he was the 2nd best player in the draft, but they player they had at #1 was still available and they didn't have another pick until 30. There is probably another team who would have taken Rory Sloane at pick 30 if they had a pick before we took him at 44.

There is little science in recruiting, it is all about opinion and everyone has a different opinion, consensus is irrelevant and has been proven to be wrong.

Or we could have made the decision there was a fair chance our ideal draft wouldn't eventuate and by trading 13 away we could secure Tom who we rated just after Himmelberg and we could also get in another quality player.

We made the choice to do what we did, you just can't say oh well it didn't work out but we made the correct choice anyway when we clearly didn't.

If you have the best possible picks you have the best possible chance to get who you want, you're presuming Doedee wouldn't have been taken by another club if we didn't take him, just because phantom drafts didn't predict he would be taken early. 14 clubs interviewed him, there is a chance a few of them rated him as highly as we did.

If you are going to judge them with the benefit of hindsight, at least wait until hindsight tells you they got it wrong.

The purpose of the draft is to find the people who will become the best footballers, the general public, phantom drafters, draft experts and recruiters have been pretty wrong in every draft there has been. The recruiters are the ones who know best, but each recruiter would have different opinions, as a group using the laws of the draft they get it wrong, but when you look at the results of individual recruiters, some get it right much more often than average. Ogilvie is one of those.

Just because Nat Fyfe was taken at 20, doesn't mean every club thought he was the 20th best player in the draft, the team who had pick 5 may have thought he was the 2nd best player in the draft, but they player they had at #1 was still available and they didn't have another pick until 30. There is probably another team who would have taken Rory Sloane at pick 30 if they had a pick before we took him at 44.

There is little science in recruiting, it is all about opinion and everyone has a different opinion, consensus is irrelevant and has been proven to be wrong.
Not sure how that answered my question but ok. I understand that it's opinion based, but I think you'd find most teams have a pretty similar top 20 talent order. Obviously the further out you get the harder it is and the further apart the lists would look.

but I think you'd find most teams have a pretty similar top 20 talent order.

Do they though? no club has ever released their order of preference list after a draft, let alone all of them, so we've never been able to compare.

Has anyone discribed him as a Pennelbury clone?

No, but Gary Buckenara who I think knows a fair bit more than any of us did liken his attributes pre-draft to Andrew Mackie [intercept marking] and Ben Stratton like in that he is equally effective on smalls or talls.

How about instead of bitching endlessly we at least give the kid a fair go and assess his progress over the course of the next two seasons?

Because Ogilvie said they changed their order of preference after receiving a medical report last Friday, the same time as Burton was doing medical tests. We didn't take burton so you can draw the conclusion that if the report changed their order of preference it wasn't positive.

are you sure you haven't just made this up?

where did he say this.

Has anyone discribed him as a Pennelbury clone?
I did, but I have only seen a 3 minute clip with electro pop on youtube and I have never helped the Tigers recruiting department. Although I did have beers with Gary Buckenara once.
If that helps. ;):Do_O:rainbow:

But aren't my posts always negative?

Anyway, I hope he is a gem, my issue with his drafting is could we have been smarter at getting him? The Bulldogs downgraded 11 for 2 picks in the 20. Had we done something similar I believe we could have used one of those picks on him and grabbed another quality player as well. We didn't need to upgrade Kelly who I feel will struggle to get a game next year with the players we have brought in.

I think that the only reason that we didn't do something like this was because we were planning on using 13 on Burton and then his knee ruled him out. I think that we think this kid ha a higher ceiling than the guys that were still there like Balic ect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no opinion on the early recruitment strategy maybe BF should just ban all discussions on drafting if they aren't positive until mid year? Would that be better or do you enjoy the speculation?

I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinion but you've got to understand that when you place the blame on our recruiters for our lack of premierships you're going to have a bad time!

They are the best and most consistently high performing part of the club. They've continually nailed it over the years whilst being held back by other parts of the club with sanctions.

If this was a punt, Ogilvie has earnt it. But it's not, it's a calculated decision.

I'm still trying to find a link to him becoming an elite midfielder.

You simply do not draft half back flankers with a first round pick. It's the easiest place on the ground to play and the least amount of skills needed.

All of his outstanding qualities are what you expect friom all AFL players.

He doesn't have elite pace (unlike Dangerfield) to allow him to become a outside midfield weapon, he can not play as a key defender (too short) and he had not demonstrated an ablity to play as a leading forward.

He looks like he could becoming a one paced tall midfielder. Someone I was hoping he has some of Pennelbury qualities.

His pace is nothing special, but he would be close to elite for agility, which would be more valuable on the inside of a contest.

I don't have a problem with you voicing your opinion but you've got to understand that when you place the blame on our recruiters for our lack of premierships you're going to have a bad time!

They are the best and most consistently high performing part of the club. They've continually nailed it over the years whilst being held back by other parts of the club with sanctions.

If this was a punt, Ogilvie has earnt it. But it's not, it's a calculated decision.

Ogilvie has had one draft to say he's responsible for Rendells work is ridiculous. He picked Lever with a first rounder that seems justified at this stage. To say he has the runs on the board is unbelievable. After one draft if he thinks he's that good that he can take punts I am thinking we may end up with some pretty sorry situations.

Ogilvie has had one draft to say he's responsible for Rendells work is ridiculous. He picked Lever with a first rounder that seems justified at this stage. To say he has the runs on the board is unbelievable. After one draft if he thinks he's that good that he can take punts I am thinking we may end up with some pretty sorry situations.
Haggis took over from Rendell in 2012 after working as his apprentice for six years. This is his fourth draft in charge.

But aren't my posts always negative?
Anyway, I hope he is a gem, my issue with his drafting is could we have been smarter at getting him? The Bulldogs downgraded 11 for 2 picks in the 20. Had we done something similar I believe we could have used one of those picks on him and grabbed another quality player as well. We didn't need to upgrade Kelly who I feel will struggle to get a game next year with the players we have brought in.
or traded wright and kerridge for menzel and kept 28, there where some very good players available at 28

or traded wright and kerridge for menzel and kept 28, there where some very good players available at 28

I don't think anyone's arguing he would have been picked up

The problem a lot have is this draft was seen as thin, with it being reported that picks over 20 weren't up to much this fella was without question predicted somewhere around 40

Those predicted under 20 were similar to most years

So if these experts being ex players in the media, and media experts are completely wrong we will be right. These guys don't deliberately make things up their giving their informed decisions as a AFL follower I would rather believe what comes out of their mouths instead of anonymous BF posters.

As for Ogilvie his judge will be how the lad performs, unfortunately he and the Crows will be fully aware by making an odd ball decision over say Burton, it will be trialled through the media. They knew this before making this decision so no one should complain about pressure on the kid, the minute they picked him they knew the pressure would be placed upon him.

I'm still trying to find a link to him becoming an elite midfielder.

You simply do not draft half back flankers with a first round pick. It's the easiest place on the ground to play and the least amount of skills needed.

All of his outstanding qualities are what you expect friom all AFL players.

He doesn't have elite pace (unlike Dangerfield) to allow him to become a outside midfield weapon, he can not play as a key defender (too short) and he had not demonstrated an ablity to play as a leading forward.

He looks like he could becoming a one paced tall midfielder. Someone I was hoping he has some of Pennelbury qualities.
You know this statement about the skill set he has (or lack there of).....reminds me for all sorts of different reasons the trade to snare JJ. Why bring in another tall forward when we already had Walker and Tippett...... It was insurance because there was a fair chance he was leaving. I just can't help think that this may be a similar situation. Probably wrong....but it just seems odd to add another defensive type when we seem to have a few.

Do they though? no club has ever released their order of preference list after a draft, let alone all of them, so we've never been able to compare.
Not true. I think Brisbane or Hawthorn did it a couple of years ago.

That said, you'd need all of them to do it if you wanted to compare rankings - and that's certainly never happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back