Big Vee

Rookie
Jun 20, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Subi, Parkdale, Mt Lawley, Bengals
For anyone with doubts on their clubs selections in the Draft / Rookie Draft, now is the time to be an expert, and laugh at your own stupidity in future years.

For each of your clubs picks at the national draft put the player that was available who you would have picked (the new player must have been chosen later by another club so comparisons can be made).

I will go first and hopefully I can look back each year and see how wrong I would have been.

RICHMOND
Pick 15 - Jade Gresham instead of Daniel Rioli
Pick 50 - Kurt Mutimer instead of Oleg Markov
Pick 67 - Nicholas O'Kearney instead of Nathan Broad

Rookie
Pick 12 - Happy with Callum Moore
Pick 30 - Happy with Mabior Chol
Pick 47 - Happy with Adam Marcon

Would've taken Balic instead of Redman. Also wouldn't have rookied Will Hams or Tom Wallis, instead I would've opted for Dan Coghlan and a developing KPP (Dylan Smith if no one took him). Happy with the rest though.

Can't really complain about any of the Lions picks. We took what we planned to. Schache, Hipwood snd Keays will likely all make it at the top level of footy and each has some potential to be a star.

A minor argument could be made about not taking Chol but we had simply run out of list room by then. I also think there is some benefit in us not taking every Academy player and someone else getting a benefit out of the academies. It makes them realize that the academies for northern clubs also benefit the comp as a whole. I hope Chol makes it for Richmond. In NSW and Qld there is talent that just needs nurturing so it is not lost to the sport. Even now, there are talented kids getting to 12, 13, 14 years old on the Sunshine Coast that I know who would have walked to League, Union or basketball if not for the Lions Academy.

We could have taken Wagner but with Mathieson still available it was probably the right decision. Skinner was a bit of a bonus and William's pace makes him a good pickup.

I think time will bear out that this was a fairly good draft for us. Some players we passed over will go on to be stars but that happens for every club.

Drafting is an inexact blend of science and art and a lot of luck.

Someone over Mills... No. Would have matched at pick 1.

A couple of players over 50+ picks.... Even the Phantom drafts of pros don't go that low.

Could be spuds, could be guns. Actually content with our selections. Best available with Mills, added players where we lack depth 50+

Im just going to let you think about how ridiculous that statement is.
His standards are just very high because of the immediate on-field impact of Scharenberg, Freeman, Broomhead, Kennedy, De Goey, and Moore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet to see that on-field yet
yes. going to take a few years to know if my nailed assessment of the the lions last 2 drafts is true or me just being delusional. when you add in the trading recruits robinson beams christensen walker bell and bastinac the lions are well set up for the future. but on a cautionary note for those of us expecting a quick rise up the ladder, is that now that lists have been finalized for 2016 we have the youngest list in the competition. the only player on our list you would expect to maybe retire at the end of 2016 or 2017 would be dan merrett, the other inevitable changes that come will be list management decisions.

Loved the first 3 kids taken

WEITERING
MCKAY
CURNOW

Would have then taken Mathieson as he would have been a great partner for Cripps. Wondering why he slipped so far?

Hoping David Cuningham turns out to be a beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back