NRL 2018 - 2022 NRL TV Rights Deal - $1.8 Billion over 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...er-tv-experience/story-fn2mcuj6-1227623931928
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-network-telstra/story-fni3fbgz-1227623926408

All games live on Fox Sports with Fox Sports primed to launch a dedicated 24-hour NRL channel.

- $1.8 billion over 5 years from 2018, but there are still discussions underway as to whether it will brought forward to 2016 and 17.
- Nine pay $650 million, News Corp pay $900 million, Telstra pay $150 million while International Rights are worth between $75 to 100 million
- Fox to get a 6pm Friday game, all games on a Saturday and 2pm Sunday.
- Fox will simulcast all of Nine's games (Thursday Night, the second Friday Night game and 4pm Sunday)

- Every game live and in HD on Fox Sports from 2016 except the Grand Final
- Monday Night Football to stay for 2016. 18 Thursday Night games in 2016
- Stand alone 24/7 NRL Channel to begin in 2017
- NSW Cup and QLD Cup matches to be covered on Fox NRL Channel from 2017
- Friday 6pm game to begin in 2017

Would be a mix of Warriors/Cowboys/Titans/Broncos/Storm you would think with maybe games in regional centres and home games of Australian clubs played in New Zealand thrown into the mix

Hopefully it comes forward. Pretty unfair on the average fan in the southern states to not see a Friday night game until midnight on GO

Who gives a s**t about the dick measuring between codes over money?

Both the AFL and NRL have received massive pay increases, and in even happier news both of them managed to do something that not many companies or individuals have ever done - they got the better of Murdoch.

No doubt AFL was assisted by the Ch9/NRL deal, and no doubt the NRL was assisted by the EPL/Optus deal - but I bet neither code gives a s**t how they got the money.

If you wanted to be critical of the NRL, it's that they are (unfortunately) going down the path of being a "made for tv" sport in the way their scheduling will operate. Friday 6pm is a dogs arse of a time, another year of Monday night is shithouse for fans, and I don't anticipate that Thursday night is going to be much better unless they can figure out a way to make a "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) out of it, in the way that the AFL have done with interstate teams hosting big Victorian clubs.

In any case - even as someone who probably only ranks NRL 3rd in my codes (I love the Raiders, I don't watch much else) - it is factually incorrect to say the AFL "destroyed" the NRL. In a purely financial sense, the NRL got a greater percentage increase in their rights than the AFL did.

But as I said, I don't really care for the dick measuring, cos both did extremely well. Hopefully both codes can figure out what to do with it. NRL in particular still has some way to go with expansion (I can't believe there is still nothing on expansion!!!), in making sure their clubs are financially stable, and that they're playing out of modern stadiums that people want to go to. I know NRL fans often jump down your throat at the very suggestion; I also know that Sydney is a very different city to Melbourne in terms of layout and public transport; I know that the current location of stadiums makes it difficult for teams to compromise - but one of the first things they should look at doing is consolidating venues. I don't suggest they should all be playing at SFS and Homebush (especially cos Homebush is a s**t hole).

But, "pretty" as some of these stadiums are, the NRL has no business playing a professional sport worth $2b in tv rights at grounds such as Brookvale, Kogarah, Leichardt, and even Penrith in its current form.

Last edited:
New agreement means Warriors play four home games on Fridays from 2017

The Warriors will play about four home games on Friday nights each season from 2017, says CEO Jim Doyle.

The NRL announced a new broadcasting deal on Friday which will result in the scrapping of Monday night games and the introduction of back-to-back fixtures on Fridays, rather than two games at the same time.

The first game each Friday will start at 6pm AEST and, as that's 8pm in New Zealand, it makes the Warriors the ideal team to fill that slot.

Doyle says he believes a third of their home games from 2017 will be played on Fridays.

"I've had some discussions already with the NRL about the 6pm slot," Doyle said.

"We believe we'll get a reasonable balance in 2017. Out of our 12 home games we'll probably have four on Friday nights, four on Saturdays and four on Sundays.

"In the first seven or eight rounds of the season there is the daylight saving factor for Queensland which puts them an hour behind New South Wales, so they'll likely use the three Queensland teams a fair bit during that period.

"They'll also look to have the 6pm game in Melbourne and also Canberra, because it won't be too much of a drama to leave work and get to the game from there and I'm sure that will be the same in Newcastle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back