Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Feel like the mojo is coming back...had a great week thus far...

Sunday : Awesome bike ride up Lake Mountain, was good to be back on the roadie
Monday : Quality strength session
Tuesday : Easy run around the tan in perfect conditions
Wednesday : Sharp intervals, each at under 5k goal pace
Thursday : Night hike/run up Glasgow Rd x 2 (for those that don't know, it's a dried old creek bed that runs directly up Mt Dandenong)

Giving my legs a break today.

Unfortunately, some very busy weekends coming up which means the long stuff probably ain't gonna happen
Great stuff mate.

I don't know what I'm up to. Group running Tuesday & Thursday mornings & a longer run over the weekend & an extra solo session this morning but need some more structure & purpose to my training. Looking for a proper plan to work with.

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
Struggling to find time at the moment with everything else thats going on, this week for example:
Monday: Basketball
Tuesday: Cricket T20 game
Wednesday:
Thursday: Cricket training
Friday: Summer Hockey
Saturday-Sunday: Cricket Two day game
Pretty much just leaves Wednesday if I can be bothered after all the other sport I play :p

Struggling to find time at the moment with everything else thats going on, this week for example:
Monday: Basketball
Tuesday: Cricket T20 game
Wednesday:
Thursday: Cricket training
Friday: Summer Hockey
Saturday-Sunday: Cricket Two day game
Pretty much just leaves Wednesday if I can be bothered after all the other sport I play :p

Fairly similar schedule to be honest. Tuesday T20, Thursday cricket training, Sat/Sun cricket. Family days for the rest.

I'm trying to get the morning thing happening but as a bit of a night owl, I'm struggling with it. Getting up early enough isn't the problem, but my body absolutely detests bouncing around straight out of bed. .....bouncing around in bed on the other hand.

Great thread guys!

Having always hated running I've decided to give it a go after a friend recommended the C25K app. Definitely suits me as a low 90s kg 30yo who has always had a pathological hatred of running. I’m into the 2nd week (3 sessions per week) and enjoying it so far. It suits me how it’s initially broken down into intervals of running and walking as you build up. Also a stats/data nerd so love all the info coming through via run keeper.

So far I’m just running around the ovals near home/work to try and get a consistent course. The hardest thing I’ve found so far (apart from the last two intervals each session) is pacing – I really have NFI how fast I’m going in the jogging components.

Week 2 is 5 minute warm up walk; 6 x 90 seconds jogging, 2 minutes walking sets; 5 minute cool down which lasts 31 minutes. I normally end up with about 4k distance wise – trying to aim for around 4:45/km for the jogging intervals.

Only goal at this stage is to complete the app training program which I think ends up with a 5km run.

Come back from a long term trip wherein I did no real exercise. Walked everywhere but didn't have runners, occasional bike riding and hiking.

* this is hard again but * is it liberating. Rolled back into a 8km run straight up but struggled through the last two.

Purrfect Pussies

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Great thread guys!

Having always hated running I've decided to give it a go after a friend recommended the C25K app. Definitely suits me as a low 90s kg 30yo who has always had a pathological hatred of running. I’m into the 2nd week (3 sessions per week) and enjoying it so far. It suits me how it’s initially broken down into intervals of running and walking as you build up. Also a stats/data nerd so love all the info coming through via run keeper.

So far I’m just running around the ovals near home/work to try and get a consistent course. The hardest thing I’ve found so far (apart from the last two intervals each session) is pacing – I really have NFI how fast I’m going in the jogging components.

Week 2 is 5 minute warm up walk; 6 x 90 seconds jogging, 2 minutes walking sets; 5 minute cool down which lasts 31 minutes. I normally end up with about 4k distance wise – trying to aim for around 4:45/km for the jogging intervals.

Only goal at this stage is to complete the app training program which I think ends up with a 5km run.
Sounds like a similar program to what got me started. Pace & rhythm will come in time. No need to push it to early. 4:45/km seems a little quick. Just relax, concentrating on breathing etc as you build up to longer runs. Just be careful. This running caper can get addictive. Lol.

My TomTom watch is my little training buddy too.

Mar 4, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Blackburn Rovers
Great thread guys!

4:45/km is WAY too quick for a beginner!!!!! Seriously, I'd be looking more at 5:45/km. When you run intervals you should be aiming to run your last 2 intervals faster than the others...Going at that pace, too early, you are 99.9% guaranteed to get injured.

Get a watch with a HR monitor. The entry level Garmin's really aren't that expensive nowadays. That will give you a very good gauge of how fast you can run.

Otherwise, great to see you back into running!

4:45/km is WAY too quick for a beginner!!!!! Seriously, I'd be looking more at 5:45/km. When you run intervals you should be aiming to run your last 2 intervals faster than the others...Going at that pace, too early, you are 99.9% guaranteed to get injured.

Get a watch with a HR monitor. The entry level Garmin's really aren't that expensive nowadays. That will give you a very good gauge of how fast you can run.

Otherwise, great to see you back into running!

So does an entry level garmin have a heart rate monitor just on the watch? Or do I have to wear one of those stupid straps around my chest :D

Basically the issue is I don't know how fast I'm actually running in the run intervals. So far the splits in the middle two k's (excluding the warm up and cool down) are pretty even so assume I am not slowing down too much in the back half.

Should I be feeling the same across all splits or naturally more tired in the last couple?

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
I bought a cheap HR chest strap from Kmart for $5. Works well overall but has it's moments where it's readings are off that I'd be dead. One run had my max heart rate at 229.

I don't have a watch though so I can't see my HR as I'm running, but after when I analyse my pace, hr and all that.

Mar 4, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Blackburn Rovers
So does an entry level garmin have a heart rate monitor just on the watch? Or do I have to wear one of those stupid straps around my chest :D

Basically the issue is I don't know how fast I'm actually running in the run intervals. So far the splits in the middle two k's (excluding the warm up and cool down) are pretty even so assume I am not slowing down too much in the back half.

Should I be feeling the same across all splits or naturally more tired in the last couple?

Yes it has a seperate strap (http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/Garmin-Forerunner-15-GPS-Heart-Rate-Monitor/361563)

I believe the Fitbit Surge has HRM built into the watch itself and is a GPS run tracker. Looking around it's not that much more expensive than the Forerunner.

You should definitely be feeling more tired as the intervals progress. The most important intervals are the last two though. That's when your running fatigued, and that's where you get the best training benefit. So try and pace yourself so that you can run the last 2 intervals, say, 5 sec/km quicker. Anyone can belt out the first two, but running strong at the end of some intense efforts, that's the challenge!!

Max Power 83

All Australian
Jan 24, 2012
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've got a TomTom cardio runner. It has the HR monitor built in. You can set the HR zone you want to train in, or pace, and also set intervals.

It will buzz if you go too high/low, slow/fast. Not cheap, but I got mine for 50% retail on ebay.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Yeah my tomtom has helped me heaps with pace as well, used to be running way too fast too early and I'd be worn out really easy. Now I can pace myself really well. :thumbsu:
What readings help you work out if your pace is too slow or fast?

Is it HR is being too high?

Sep 15, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders,Crystal Palace F.C
5km for me today trying to get back into going for regular runs around the other sports. So strange that I can play other sports and sprint at 100% and have no problems with my knee but when I go for a run I still limp even though there's no pain as if I'm expecting it to start hurting :confused:

Joined my mediocre start up stats to the Strava group.

Also nabbed a TomTom from a mate (Unused for the large part) with a whole bunch of the cycling sensors which is good on my end.

Finished my 3rd session on the second week of the C25K app

Week 1 - 3 sessions of:
5 minute walk (warm up) - 8 x (60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking) - 5 minute walk (cool down)
Was doing about 3.8 km

Week 2 - 3 sessions of:
5 minute walk (warm up) - 6 x (90 seconds jogging, 120 seconds walking) - 5 minute walk (cool down)
Was doing about 4.0 km

Next week's sessions are:
5 minute walk (warm up) - 2 x (90 seconds jogging; 90 seconds walk; 3 minutes jogging; 3 minutes wlaking) - 5 minute walk (cool down)

Feels like the 3 minute jog intervals will be pretty tough - and a decent step up from the second week.

Back