Formula One in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

They can do whatever they like. But then their reputation will slowly erode to irrelevance and they will not be recognised as respectable racing drivers. Susie has finally succumbed to the realisation of not being good enough and being a waste of everyone's time.

A woman who wins a v8sc for instance. Will gain worldwide respect for their ability, because v8sc is of sufficient standard to gain that expect. Their fame would penetrate further than what v8sc can. They would then be an inspiration for younger females to succeed in professional motorsport. Even if those females are not from aus/nz.

Susie is now lost to professional motorsport racing (not that it's much of a loss). She will now to live with the indignity of being a representation of everything that's wrong with females in professional motorsport.
What utter, misogynistic rubbish.

So are other drivers who drive around as test drivers, whilst doing other duties, also not "respectable racing drivers"? Or are you placing double standards here? Lapping within 0.2 of a second of Massa at Silverstone, no walk up starter would be able to do that.

I'm not sue you know what misogynistic means, or when it's appropriate to use.

There are many drivers who've been used for testing. There are many variables as to why they're there. Their input, their contribution to their teams also varies. Numerous can be considered not good enough.

She also not a walk up starter. She's been with Williams since 2012. She's had 7 years in the dtm. That's quite a lot of experience. In theory, getting within 2/10ths of Massa at a circuit she's familiar with isn't all that remarkable.

But that's her problem. The highlight of her career is getting within 2/10ths of Massa at a Silverstone practice session. There are no professional titles or numerous race wins to reflect on. If it was that big a deal, she'd be encouraged an continue on. But she's given up and is now gone. She is also a useless commodity in the motorsport/general sport world/industry. Who gives a poo about her now? What use is she to anyone? What inspiration is she to younger females?

Had she recognised she wasn't up to it in the DTM. Then applied herself in the DTM. For arguments sake, we'll say she won the DTM this year. She'd have been able to trade off that for decades. Not just ensuing race contracts. She'd command more than top dollar in motorsport media. She'd be a leading representative for women in sport forever, even outside motorsport circles.

Tony Jones wouldn't know the DTM even if Leigh sales smacked him over the head with a wing off a DTM car. But if Susie was a dtm champ, she'd be invited on in a episode talking about women in sport. She'd be a key contributor. But that will never happen now. Because Susie will be forever known as a useless DTM driver who only got an opportunity to drive an F1 car because she's gotten intimate with the boss of MB motorsport.

Inspiring.

Are people ignoring the simple fact that at 32 it might feel like time to try your hand at something else? It is a young mans game realistically (gender usage there intentional)
She's not young in a racing sense. And that's exactly why she stopped. She said so herself.

She's not young in a racing sense. And that's exactly why she stopped. She said so herself.
I know and when I saw her age I thought that might be it. If you want to start a family too its probably not the business to be in.

Was pumped Red Bull will be making their own engine, but Mario Illien has publicly refuted his involvement in the Renault ICE development... and his role going forward.

http://planetf1.com/news/illien-refutes-red-bull-rumours/

Does this mean the starting point for RBR's own engine will be the current Renault lawn mower engine?
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-offers-red-bull-new-engine-idea/
Ferrari willing to make Red Bull a works team (supply engineers etc..) but they won't be simply taking Ferrari Engines

Okay, so many different stories going around... I'm very confused.

So if this story is true then RB won't have access to the same engines as Ferrari, but does that mean 2015 engines or one development cycle behind Ferrari?

Still would much rather RB make their own engine, at least then they have control over their own destiny. With continual removal of downforce and regulation changes towards mechanical grip, engines will continue to be the difference maker in F1. IMO RB cannot return to its winning ways unless it makes its own engine.

Only reason I could see this happening is for one year if RB is unable to produce their own engine by Albert Park next year.

Bernie is still pushing for inclusion of independent engine manufacturers, but given the cost of developing the type of hybrid power units used these days I can't really see it happening any time soon. Who knows, maybe VW will decide to get involved in an attempt the try and improve their battered global image.

Okay, so many different stories going around... I'm very confused.

So if this story is true then RB won't have access to the same engines as Ferrari, but does that mean 2015 engines or one development cycle behind Ferrari?

Still would much rather RB make their own engine, at least then they have control over their own destiny. With continual removal of downforce and regulation changes towards mechanical grip, engines will continue to be the difference maker in F1. IMO RB cannot return to its winning ways unless it makes its own engine.

Only reason I could see this happening is for one year if RB is unable to produce their own engine by Albert Park next year.

Bernie is still pushing for inclusion of independent engine manufacturers, but given the cost of developing the type of hybrid power units used these days I can't really see it happening any time soon. Who knows, maybe VW will decide to get involved in an attempt the try and improve their battered global image.
Making their own engine will take at least 3 years. They need a solution for 3 months away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understandable really. I personally hate seeing that combination just going through the motions from one race to the next. I'd much rather see them be competitive in WEC or an American series or anything else.

Such a waste.

I still think a year off at his age is dumb unless he walks back into a 1993 Williams type car advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back