Welcome Rookie Draft Pick #31 - Jono Beech

Remove this Banner Ad

By the looks of it, we picked up Jono as a 'break glass in case' player. If Tex or JJ got injured, I'd rather have Beech than have no one.
Nah ...not an insurance player ....IMO Hunter is

Beach has a genuine shot at AFL ....will need some luck of course ....not a bad bottom 4 player in any side i would have thought

Looks like a moneyball pick... like the callinan pick although at that time we had absolutely no small forwards... we might see him towards mid year when we start getting injuries

Welcome to the club Jono. I think this is reward for persistence. However I have a strong issue with the club giving him the number 1 jumper. This might not be an issue for most, but I believe you should have to earn a high number. I can't think of a time a rookie list player has had the number 1.

Welcome to the club Jono. I think this is reward for persistence. However I have a strong issue with the club giving him the number 1 jumper. This might not be an issue for most, but I believe you should have to earn a high number. I can't think of a time a rookie list player has had the number 1.

That's a bit elitist, some great players have come off our rookie list and I don't see any reason why they should be treated as second class citizens, and I can't see policies like that having a positive impact on team unity.

That's a bit elitist, some great players have come off our rookie list and I don't see any reason why they should be treated as second class citizens, and I can't see policies like that having a positive impact on team unity.
I disagree. Not elitist at all. Most new draftees don't get high numbers to start with. Lever the exception. It will be great if Beech has a great preseason and gets into the 22 but at this stage he is on the same level as all our draftees.

I disagree. Not elitist at all. Most new draftees don't get high numbers to start with. Lever the exception. It will be great if Beech has a great preseason and gets into the 22 but at this stage he is on the same level as all our draftees.

How can it not be elitist? It's an exclusionary policy based on social class.

As for most new draftees not getting high numbers to start with, well the reason for that is obvious, because high numbers are popular and by the time the draftees arrive at the club those numbers are already taken.

Last edited:
As a general rule, the existing players are given first option of moving to any vacated numbers. National Draft selections then get to select from whatever numbers are still available. Rookie listed players get last pick - and usually end up with numbers in the 40s as a result.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with that pecking order.

As a general rule, the existing players are given first option of moving to any vacated numbers. National Draft selections then get to select from whatever numbers are still available. Rookie listed players get last pick - and usually end up with numbers in the 40s as a result.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with that pecking order.

Exactly, first in first served. Nothing to do with who you are or how you joined the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Geelong don;t have rookie players listed on their website .....just the senior squad ,unless they've simply put them all on the one list ......which i'd love for us to do as well

I appreciate your opinion however I personally believe it is the opposite of being elitist. Elitist would mean that I believe an individual has an automatic right to a number, based on some conception of superiority. I just don't think any new draftee, or rookie should be given a great number instantly.

Just like Riley Knight went from 39 to 3 for this upcoming season, he has earned a good jumper number with good on field performance. He was not just handed a good number.

Agree to disagree. :)

Isn't No 1 kinda a poisoned chalice at the club? Haven't had a single good player wear the number. Not surprised no one wants it.

Beech may as well grab it.

There wouldn't have been a queue of 30-40 something's trying to get their mitts on it.

Didn't Luke Thompson take the #1 guernsey to start with when he was on the rookie list... and then move out to 28? (And then to #6)

Isn't No 1 kinda a poisoned chalice at the club? Haven't had a single good player wear the number. Not surprised no one wants it.

Beech may as well grab it.

There wouldn't have been a queue of 30-40 something's trying to get their mitts on it.

Stephen Silvagni
Paul Roos
Steven King
Barry Hall

Edit: Thought you meant all of the AFL.

I appreciate your opinion however I personally believe it is the opposite of being elitist. Elitist would mean that I believe an individual has an automatic right to a number, based on some conception of superiority. I just don't think any new draftee, or rookie should be given a great number instantly.

Just like Riley Knight went from 39 to 3 for this upcoming season, he has earned a good jumper number with good on field performance. He was not just handed a good number.

Agree to disagree. :)

You can disagree all you want but it doesn't mean you're correct because elitism can be based on merit and not just inherent rights as you suggest. Elitism is when a group has more power and/or privilege based on superiority (perceived or real) and how that superiority is achieved is irrelevant. It may not sound as harsh when you frame your stance around the idea of reward for on field performance but at it's core it is still elitism.

Furthermore I can't see how someone on a rookie list hasn't "earned" the right, particularly when it's a player that has had to battle as long as Beech has just to get this one opportunity. If anything he's probably earned an AFC guernsey more than most.

Good timing for Beech. If he'd been picked last year as planned until Wilson came along, he'd have missed out on a SANFL flag for a meaningless year in the Crows reserves.

He's got to be hungry for a shot at AFL. Hope he makes it.

You can disagree all you want but it doesn't mean you're correct because elitism can be based on merit and not just inherent rights as you suggest. Elitism is when a group has more power and/or privilege based on superiority (perceived or real) and how that superiority is achieved is irrelevant. It may not sound as harsh when you frame your stance around the idea of reward for on field performance but at it's core it is still elitism.

Furthermore I can't see how someone on a rookie list hasn't "earned" the right, particularly when it's a player that has had to battle as long as Beech has just to get this one opportunity. If anything he's probably earned an AFC guernsey more than most.
I appreciate you clearing up the term - "Elitism". However, I don't know why you felt the need to continue this. I gave an opinion. You disagreed. I acknowledged your point respectfully, and understood your opinion. You have only reiterated the same opinion.

As I don't know you personally, I can't gauge fairly why someone would have had such a strong reaction to a personal opinion that was rather trivial, shared by a stranger. I also do not want to know.

I'm not going to reiterate my stance as it has been shared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back