Jerky/Biltong/Salami

Remove this Banner Ad

Really suggest anyone to buy a food dehydrator and making your own jerky. Its well worth the effort, buying whole rump or similar (save some for steaks) and a decent marinade or dry rubs make some good jerky.

the only problem i have is saving some for later.
Any tips on which particular food dehydrator mate?

I bought a sunbeam one which has several trays and works well. I have a mate that bought a cheap noname brand off ebay similar in size for around 30 bucks and the only thing that could be faulted was the it took longer as maybe the motor isn't as powerful. But as it takes several hours a little longer doesn't hurt and keeping an eye out every couple of hours is the go.

Used to be my Sunday ritual. Slice and marinate on saturday evening and dehydrate on sunday. Check in between footy

Sort of on topic. Made my own sausages the other week. It was quite easy and you can eat them almost immediately. Made a thick snag and worked out to about $7 a kilo which I didn't think was to bad for a flavoured snag. Can recommend giving it a go if you can access the equipment required.

Home made drying box. Home made biltong. Love it.
20gfwok.jpg

2lmqed0.jpg

Keen to get a sausage machine and try making droewors soon.

image.jpg My favourite but I can't get in supermarkets for some reason. I hate jack links and nobbys jerky. Used to eat it daily when I was working up in the territory. The old bottleshop I worked at also sold it

I like dried and cold smoked meats, but I'm a bit leery about making it myself given the health risks. Would rather leave it to the professionals.

Been making my own beef jerky for couple of years now. $50 dehydrator from that House shop still going strong although I might look for a replacement as the plastic shelves are slowly falling apart. But for the money spent it's been good value. I use it every fifth week when I'm on R&R but then I use it heavilly for few days to make enough for the next swing.

I've tried all sorts of cuts and topside works the best for me, it's very lean and tastes really good. Once I had about 15 scotch fillets left over uncooked after a bbq party and thought to turn it into a jerky. It was ok, but not as good as topside and when you consider nearly double the price, well it's a no brainer.

As far as marinade is concerned, it's pretty simple:
  • Soy sauce and worcestershire sauce at 3:1 ratio [use good brands like kikkoman, lea & perrin etc rather than coles/woolies varieties, much better quality]. For 2kg of meat I'd use 600ml of soy and 200ml of worcestershire sauce
  • about 2 tsp of crushed garlick
  • onion powder [for this batch I used about half of that little masterfoods stubbie]
  • paprika powder [about 2tsp, more or less]
  • 2 tsp vegeta [Croatian seasoning/veg stock, I use that instead of salt in anything, you can buy it i most coles/woolies these days, otherwise add some plain salt, pich or two. Remember, sauces are pretty salty, esp soy sauce so no need to add heaps]
  • chilli flakes if you like it hot :) [I usually split the batch so have a mild and chilli ones, marinade is the same as you add chilli flakes when you lay it onto trays just before drying it]
Another thing to consider. When cutting meat, if you cut against the grain jerky will be softer and easier to chew. With the grain and it will be harder to chew. Obviously a personal preference.

As for the best jerky, mate of mine from country Victoria makes venison jerky [he's a recreational hunter, so I suppose it's from the deer he shoots] and it's the best jerky I've ever tasted. Head and shoulders above any other. Just no comparison. I'd love to be able to make it as well, but I'm no hunter, there's no deer around where I live anyway and venison meat is quite expensive to buy it for jerky. :(

Love all of the above. The worst thing about is the price and the feeling you tend to get afterwards. I don't eat much red meat but it still feels like excess when you've got no quality control – bit of salami on crackers with a good cheese and nice olives, or in a salami sandwich, and you'll end up eating too much.

Been right into the jerky lately too. I know so many people who hate it but it's always been a rare pleasure since I was a kid. I work at a bottle-o and tend to have a packet every shift, can't help it.

All about the spice for me too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may have posted something like this earlier.

The biltong that I get locally is my favourite. But when it comes to jerky, I've been getting some that is soft and barely cured. I prefer it dry and tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back