Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll bite. Explanation please?

Ever thought that there was no bad guy and maybe they just a had a moment or two of not seeing eye to eye ? Katich is a pretty intense character but not sure he is a bad egg.

I reckon nearly all of the teammates at the time would disagree with this, making it an unpopular opinion I suppose.

Neither of them are bad guys overall, I just find it weird that people are so sure that Clarke is/was the villain in the scenario, and that Katich's actions were somehow justified, even though nobody knows what Clarke actually did or said.

I don't care if he's "intense" or "passionate", I really don't think Katich's reaction was appropriate, whatever went on. Be the bigger person, and don't try and throttle someone FFS. The public don't know the full story obviously, but we do know that one guy acted like an immature dickhead in the situation, and it wasn't Clarke.

As a general comment, I think people project a bit, and create these personas for these guys based on how they bat or snippets of them speaking publicly, and have a hard time moving away from that. You're no better bloke just because you have a sound defense or are patient at the crease, and you're not a s**t bloke if you play a rash shot or have a fancy haircut.

Last edited:
Probably is an unpopular opinion although it probably shouldn't be. Our side is the definition of flat track bully, it's papering over the cracks and it is holding us back. For our own good going forward we need pitches with life in them and that aren't dual carriageways.
Bump. Ball moving around and with a small total to chase we're still trying to bat aggressively at over 4rpo as they've been conditioned to. We are flat track bullies and it needs to be fixed.

To be fair, it's possible they are racing against the night time.
Dude, we have two more days, get them in singles if you have to, score 25 runs a session and give them absolutely nothing.

I think they are worried about a collapse with the ball swinging about at night. Playing defensively doesn't guarantee no collapse if the ball is doing anything and everything.
Which in fact helps my point, their techniques against the moving ball are so suspect they're actually worried about it to the point where you're asserting they're batting aggressively now to get it done beforehand. Modern batsmen are more suspect in defence than previous generations.

Do not rate Mitch Marsh in the slightest, I think he's overrated and neither of his disciplines are good enough to warrant selection at Test level

This.

His batting is not top six standard, and the fact that he can't be trusted to bowl many overs (averages like 8 overs bowled per innings) because he might get tonked/might not take a wicket/might tear a muscle at any given moment is concerning, too. He's no better than Shane Watson, either now or (I predict) in the future.

There are problems with DRS.:drunk:

Not the technology as that delivered, but how the f**k can Llong give Lyon not out has to be investigated by the ICC. The scariest issue here is that Llong is also an umpire on the field, so if he is making those kind of decisions I wonder what other wonderful howlers over the years he has produced that in hindsight is a result of his poor decision making process.

Llong's thought process has to be explored as to how he gave Lyon not out, when most posters on here, the C9 commentary team and probably viewers all over the world thought he was out. Hell even Lyon walking half way off the field is an admission of guilt, but that obviously should never ever have a bearing but surely there was enough damning evidence. :drunk:

I hope the ICC make a statement and drop Llong. The other issue is that I am almost definite that Llong is not alone in the box when making the decision, what were the others doing in there as I am sure they are ICC officials as well. Surely they could possibly have some input in the future? Do we need a panel to adjudicate the decision? The other issue was just how long the process took, it was ridiculous that it took over 5 minutes to resolve, when on our TV screens it took us under 2 minutes to see it was out, no-ball? No, hit the bat? Yes? catch? yes!

This.

His batting is not top six standard, and the fact that he can't be trusted to bowl many overs (averages like 8 overs bowled per innings) because he might get tonked/might not take a wicket/might tear a muscle at any given moment is concerning, too. He's no better than Shane Watson, either now or (I predict) in the future.

Unlike Watson, he actually takes wickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the technology as that delivered, but how the f**k can Llong give Lyon not out has to be investigated by the ICC. The scariest issue here is that Llong is also an umpire on the field, so if he is making those kind of decisions I wonder what other wonderful howlers over the years he has produced that in hindsight is a result of his poor decision making process.

Llong's thought process has to be explored as to how he gave Lyon not out, when most posters on here, the C9 commentary team and probably viewers all over the world thought he was out. Hell even Lyon walking half way off the field is an admission of guilt, but that obviously should never ever have a bearing but surely there was enough damning evidence. :drunk:

I hope the ICC make a statement and drop Llong. The other issue is that I am almost definite that Llong is not alone in the box when making the decision, what were the others doing in there as I am sure they are ICC officials as well. Surely they could possibly have some input in the future? Do we need a panel to adjudicate the decision? The other issue was just how long the process took, it was ridiculous that it took over 5 minutes to resolve, when on our TV screens it took us under 2 minutes to see it was out, no-ball? No, hit the bat? Yes? catch? yes!

I have actually always liked Nigel Llong but that was a howler- on his part and he deserves a spell.

I can kind of understand where he was coming from in that it was incredibly difficult to ascertain where the hot spot came from based on the evidence he saw, but as Neesham tweeted, batsmen might as well hit themselves on the head has the bowler is running in. It changed the game dramatically and in my mind, the result.

This.

He is averaging 8 overs per innings at present because they don't bowl him much when the oppo are on the back foot. I really doubt that they are worried about him not taking wickets by now.

His batting is definitely iffy but his bowling ain't. His bowling has always been good, he has great strike rate at first class level.

Umpire gave him not out, if there's any doubt it goes to the batsman, no snicko means there's doubt. Lyon almost certainly hit it but it's not the howler you are making it out to be and Llong doesn't deserve to be investigated/dropped over it.

He should be dropped on the basis that he has two Ls in Llong.

Umpire gave him not out, if there's any doubt it goes to the batsman, no snicko means there's doubt. Lyon almost certainly hit it but it's not the howler you are making it out to be and Llong doesn't deserve to be investigated/dropped over it.

There is no rule in cricket of any doubt going to the batsmen. I could be wrong but I'm certain I heard this discussion by commentary teams in the past.

Llong didn't cheat what I am inferring is that his thought processes into reaching his decision need to be explored so he improves himself and the standard of umpiring.

There is no rule in cricket of any doubt going to the batsmen. I could be wrong but I'm certain I heard this discussion by commentary teams in the past.

Llong didn't cheat what I am inferring is that his thought processes into reaching his decision need to be explored so he improves himself and the standard of umpiring.

There is no law but umpires have umpired under the instruction to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman for decades. It's always been the tiebreaker in 50/50 decisions.

Llong's thought process was logical. On field umpire says it wasn't out and snicko says there wasn't a nick therefore it isn't out.

Marsh keeps on doing enough. The criticism of his bowling is really odd, he's improved that almost to the point of being a front line seamer and continues to either contribute through wickets or tight spells. His batting isn't too flash, but again, he does the job the team and the selectors want. Probably should bat at 7, but whatever he does, it won't stop Damon on his 'So indie I'm not indie' crusade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back