List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowley won their best and fairest a few years ago.

I don't know an award with less credibility.

That's a little unfair. He's no more of a scragger than Silvagni was - and equally got away with it the whole time - but Crowley as Freo B&F is more credible than Silvagni as greatest fullback of all time.

Crowley won their best and fairest a few years ago.

I don't know an award with less credibility.

My favourite Crowley memory was that 2014 game, when we kicked 6 goals before Freo woke up. We were just smashing them, so Crowley was switched from being Mitchell's tagger to having to be a midfielder, and actually go for the ball.

He was just crapola.

That's a little unfair. He's no more of a scragger than Silvagni was - and equally got away with it the whole time - but Crowley as Freo B&F is more credible than Silvagni as greatest fullback of all time.
Disagree.

SOS played in an era of unprecedented talented forwards, the best the game has seen.
Yes they both scrag but attempting to take a Dunstall, Ablett, Lloyd, Modra, Carey, Lockett etc each week and holding your own is some effort.

He kept Ablett goalless in the 95' winning GF.

I don't even like using Crowley in the same sentence as Silvagni.

Disagree.

SOS played in an era of unprecedented talented forwards, the best the game has seen.
Yes they both scrag but attempting to take a Dunstall, Ablett, Lloyd, Modra, Carey, Lockett etc each week and holding your own is some effort.

He kept Ablett goalless in the 95' winning GF.

I don't even like using Crowley in the same sentence as Silvagni.

Well, we had a certain full back at that time who went alright, and didn't need to wrap himself around every full forward at every contest..........;)

For mine, Sivagni is THE most over-rated player of all time. Ordinary player without the wrestling - good handballer, poor kick, nice mark of the ball, couldn't run and carry further than 20 metres....but clearly best SCRAGGER of all time.
Would have liked him far better as a player if he'd played full forward more of his career and earned his way in the game, he would have been better than decent up that end of the ground.

Well, we had a certain full back at that time who went alright, and didn't need to wrap himself around every full forward at every contest..........;)

For mine, Sivagni is THE most over-rated player of all time. Ordinary player without the wrestling - good handballer, poor kick, nice mark of the ball, couldn't run and carry further than 20 metres....but clearly best SCRAGGER of all time.
Would have liked him far better as a player if he'd played full forward more of his career and earned his way in the game, he would have been better than decent up that end of the ground.
Says alot about how the general public and the 'experts' see as good footballers in these group of sportsmen. All too dependent on statistics.:D

i always considered him a cheat even by the standards of the day. Always struck me as odd that he appeared to be able to do anything he liked. Not sure how he attracted such special treatment.

i always considered him a cheat even by the standards of the day. Always struck me as odd that he appeared to be able to do anything he liked. Not sure how he attracted such special treatment.
A lot of perceived stars get away with stuff that other players don't and that's not just limited to AFL. Stars in the NBA never get called for things like carrying, travel or double dribble because it's usually in the process of them taking the entire opposition team on or going up for a showy dunk. The fans want to see that stuff, rules be damned.

Lewis Jetta somehow obtained this star power for one season in 2012. Allowed him to run two-thirds of the ground in the PF against Collingwood but only bounce it three times.

For mine, Silvagni is THE most over-rated player of all time. Ordinary player without the wrestling - good handballer, poor kick, nice mark of the ball, couldn't run and carry further than 20 metres....but clearly best SCRAGGER of all time.

I agree completely.
What Silvagni did was perfect the art of wrestling with his opponent. He realised he couldn't match it with the full forwards of the time, but he was deceptively strong and could wrestle and hold with the best of them. He created the ugly wrestle.

If you want to see a full back who played the ball and used his footy skills to beat his opponent to the ball, have a look at the great Chris Langford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back