Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Apr 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
also $29.95 on main event pretty good price! compare that to the $49.95 they try to charge for Mundine and Green fights!
Golovkin vs Lemieux card was $30 too. Got to watch Golovkin and Gonzalez do their thing for less than you'd pay for a Mundine or Green fight.

I'm definitely not complaining. I haven't bought a Mundine or Green fight for a long time, so they could be charging $200 and I wouldn't care.

Mar 15, 2010
at the track
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns
Golovkin vs Lemieux card was $30 too. Got to watch Golovkin and Gonzalez do their thing for less than you'd pay for a Mundine or Green fight.

I'm definitely not complaining. I haven't bought a Mundine or Green fight for a long time, so they could be charging $200 and I wouldn't care.

true don't think iv ever bought one!

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wlad is a limited fighter, cant fight inside or body punch who relies on outreaching and then holding smaller opponents.

Just couldnt adjust to a guy taller at all.

HollyZholm

Rookie
Nov 25, 2015
Octagon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Massive MASSIVE upset... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not really, Tyson was always quicker by hand and foot, had the ability to switch hit and had a bigger reach advantage. Actually, he held advantages in reach, speed, versatility, height, and he was undefeated coming into the fight. It was hardly a massive upset. Good on the Gypsy King, well deserved Tyson.

Not really, Tyson was always quicker by hand and foot, had the ability to switch hit and had a bigger reach advantage. Actually, he held advantages in reach, speed, versatility, height, and he was undefeated coming into the fight. It was hardly a massive upset. Good on the Gypsy King, well deserved Tyson.
The only people I recall who were predicting Fury not to lose badly at 4-1 odds were him and his camp and I reckon the bookies lost a squillion. Huge upset...

HollyZholm

Rookie
Nov 25, 2015
Octagon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only people I recall who were predicting Fury not to lose badly at 4-1 odds were him and his camp and I reckon the bookies lost a squillion. Huge upset...

Look I respectfully disagree, I post on boxing forums and had put my opinion out there in advance. I only recently joined this forum. A lot of people on boxingforum24 picked Fury ahead of time, it really wasn't that big of an upset.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Look I respectfully disagree, I post on boxing forums and had put my opinion out there in advance. I only recently joined this forum. A lot of people on boxingforum24 picked Fury ahead of time, it really wasn't that big of an upset.

Well I'll trust that you did predict it, I think it was a huge upset still. No one had solved the riddle of Klit's jab for a long time and didn't see it being any different. I think it was a case of Fury fighting very well and Klit having a shocker, why the hell wasn't he throwing anything? Was he injured? Can't blame a weight cut, was very odd. Well done to Fury though, was glad he didn't cop a dodgy German decision.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wlad relies on out reaching guys and controlling distance so he can hit you but you can't reach him.

Then holding once a fighter gwts inside which in Germany he's allowed to do.

Was always going to be interesting against a taller guy who has decent movement.

Fury winning was always a chance but winning almost every round like that was unexpected.

HollyZholm

Rookie
Nov 25, 2015
Octagon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well I'll trust that you did predict it, I think it was a huge upset still. No one had solved the riddle of Klit's jab for a long time and didn't see it being any different. I think it was a case of Fury fighting very well and Klit having a shocker, why the hell wasn't he throwing anything? Was he injured? Can't blame a weight cut, was very odd. Well done to Fury though, was glad he didn't cop a dodgy German decision.

I think he was a little bit confused. Wlad likes to stick to a plan and methodically deconstruct his opponent, Fury simply didn't let him do this. If you watch the fight, Fury is constantly moving/feinting, and boxing out of rhythm, it makes him hard to time. Wlad takes more of a scientific approach to his boxing, in that he works his opponent out, and then systematically picks him apart. He wasn't able to do that with Fury because he (Fury) was constantly out of rhythm (unpredictable) and harder to time - he simply couldn't work him out. There were even stages of the fight where Fury mocked Wlad, hands down by his side and just did as he pleased, he knew that Wlad couldn't do anything because he isn't the type to throw caution to the wind. If you listen to Fury in the pre-fight interviews, he (Fury) always makes a point of himself being unpredictable, and Wlad being a perfectionist, Wlad maintained that Tyson was unstable and that he'd give him therapy in the boxing ring, It wasn't to be the case, I think psychology played a big part in this fight, and it backfired on Wlad.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think he was a little bit confused. Wlad likes to stick to a plan and methodically deconstruct his opponent, Fury simply didn't let him do this. If you watch the fight, Fury is constantly moving/feinting, and boxing out of rhythm, it makes him hard to time. Wlad takes more of a scientific approach to his boxing, in that he works his opponent out, and then systematically picks him apart. He wasn't able to do that with Fury because he (Fury) was constantly out of rhythm (unpredictable) and harder to time - he simply couldn't work him out. There were even stages of the fight where Fury mocked Wlad, hands down by his side and just did as he pleased, he knew that Wlad couldn't do anything because he isn't the type to throw caution to the wind. If you listen to Fury in the pre-fight interviews, he (Fury) always makes a point of himself being unpredictable, and Wlad being a perfectionist, Wlad maintained that Tyson was unstable and that he'd give him therapy in the boxing ring, It wasn't to be the case, I think psychology played a big part in this fight, and it backfired on Wlad.

That's what Roy Jones was saying actually, that when a guy has his hands around his waist like that it's hard to predict where the punches are coming from. Makes sense what you're saying though. And yeah I'd agree that Fury got inside Wlad's head as well, there has always been a knock on his mental ability from what I hear, which obviously sounds funny for a guy who hadn't lost for 11 years.

Royal Flash

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I post on there too and the ones who were tipping Fury were the trolls and nationalistic idiots that pollute the General forum there. You see all sorts of biased garbage posted there and most of it isn't to be taken seriously as they're just posting stuff they don't believe for a reaction. You should have seen some of the stuff on there both pre and post Mayweather-Pacquiao.

All the experts and sensible posters were tipping Wlad to win it easily.

Fury did a lot better than I thought he was capable of but geez it was a crap fight. Two huge, slow fighters with poor footwork and ordinary conditioning lumbering around the ring. Fury can at least fight on the inside which is where he won this. Wlad couldn't do anything in close because he hasn't had to for years. The only bloke of comparable size he's fought prior to Fury was Mariusz Wach who was basically a 6ft 7in punching bag.

Seriously go and watch Ali-Frazier or even Holyfield-Bowe and tell me whether either of these guys who fought today are remotely in this class. Maybe their size advantages would make it competitive but in terms of technique, combination punching ability and stamina they don't come close.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just a stylistic thing this fight I think Haye stops Fury in a few rounds.

Either way the end of the Klitschos is good for HW boxing And there's some talent out there, Wilder is the big US hope while Anthony Joshua copuld be be anything. Even Parker from nz has ability.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I post on there too and the ones who were tipping Fury were the trolls and nationalistic idiots that pollute the General forum there. You see all sorts of biased garbage posted there and most of it isn't to be taken seriously as they're just posting stuff they don't believe for a reaction. You should have seen some of the stuff on there both pre and post Mayweather-Pacquiao.

All the experts and sensible posters were tipping Wlad to win it easily.

Fury did a lot better than I thought he was capable of but geez it was a crap fight. Two huge, slow fighters with poor footwork and ordinary conditioning lumbering around the ring. Fury can at least fight on the inside which is where he won this. Wlad couldn't do anything in close because he hasn't had to for years. The only bloke of comparable size he's fought prior to Fury was Mariusz Wach who was basically a 6ft 7in punching bag.

Seriously go and watch Ali-Frazier or even Holyfield-Bowe and tell me whether either of these guys who fought today are remotely in this class. Maybe their size advantages would make it competitive but in terms of technique, combination punching ability and stamina they don't come close.

Wlad would trouble any of those old timers in a head to head match up because he's a giant and plays to his strengths.

Skill wise, he's not in the same league but size is always a factor and the klits are either more athletic or just bigger than anyone they fight.

Fury being taller and reasonably mobile was able to win cos Wlad has no plan b.

Someone like Lennox Lewis is in a different class as he is big and can fight inside and outside and change styles, he wpild have sparked fury in 1-2 rounds imo.

Royal Flash

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wlad would trouble any of those old timers in a head to head match up because he's a giant and plays to his strengths.

Skill wise, he's not in the same league but size is always a factor and the klits are either more athletic or just bigger than anyone they fight.

Fury being taller and reasonably mobile was able to win cos Wlad has no plan b.

Someone like Lennox Lewis is in a different class as he is big and can fight inside and outside and change styles, he wpild have sparked fury in 1-2 rounds imo.
I agree especially with your Lewis call. Lewis in the worst shape of his career, in the last fight of his career rearranged peak Vitali Klitschko's face for a stoppage win despite trailing on all the scorecards and I'd bet he's ice Wlad at any stage of his career as well.

I do think prime Ali would be way, way too mobile and fluid for the likes of the Klitschko's and Fury. The guys speed and reflexes were off the charts for any heavyweight and Ali at 6ft 3in was no midget himself.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I agree especially with your Lewis call. Lewis in the worst shape of his career, in the last fight of his career rearranged peak Vitali Klitschko's face for a stoppage win despite trailing on all the scorecards and I'd bet he's ice Wlad at any stage of his career as well.

I do think prime Ali would be way, way too mobile and fluid for the likes of the Klitschko's and Fury. The guys speed and reflexes were off the charts for any heavyweight and Ali at 6ft 3in was no midget himself.

Yeah but Ali was a tall heavyweight I think guys Frazier or Marciano would just be too small for the Klits.

I think HW boxing is set for a new exciting era now though.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Either way the end of the Klitschos is good for HW boxing And there's some talent out there, Wilder is the big US hope while Anthony Joshua copuld be be anything. Even Parker from nz has ability.

I wonder how Lucas Browne stacks up against those blokes, I'm just not sure how he'd go at the very elite end of boxing, would be great to have an Aussie HW contender (I don't really count Leapai).

Royal Flash

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Parker's the most exiting prospect out there imo.

Has size, power and punches in combination beautifully. I think he beats Wilder already but Joshua I'm still not sure about yet. He has the size and pedigree but so did David Price and we know how that worked out. Joshua's fight with Dillian Whyte will answer a lot of questions I think, not that Whyte is any world beater either.

With Parker they just need to keep building him up. He's a kid and there's no rush for a title fight so he just needs to keep meeting a better quality of opponent and improving the old fashioned way ie with in the ring experience and the sky's the limit for him.

Back