BigAnt Studios to develop AFL Live 3 - Petition

Remove this Banner Ad

So did Big Ant actually get booted by Tru Blu? Or did they just decide to invest their time in Rugby and Cricket, leaving Tru Blu to throw it at Wicked Witch to make sure an AFL game actually got released?

So did Big Ant actually get booted by Tru Blu? Or did they just decide to invest their time in Rugby and Cricket, leaving Tru Blu to throw it at Wicked Witch to make sure an AFL game actually got released?

From what I've read, it seems obvious Big Ant were happy to continue making AFL, considering they always said AFL1 was their base to build on. Then when the time to develop AFL2 came around, the general consensus seems to be that they either offered Big Ant peanuts to make it, or no time whatsoever, or both. Big Ant said no, so TruBlu found someone who had no problem smashing out a cheap piece of rushed crap.

They planned on 5 iterations of the series. Its assumed they couldn't get a deal together and Tru Blu opted to make a quick AFL Wii port for PS3 and Xbox 360.

We couldn't come to terms, WW could.

I haven't checked so could be wrong, but aren't Tru Blu the publisher behind RLL3 and Don Bradman Cricket? If so, you're obviously still on good terms with them which gives me hope for an eventual renegotiation.

DBC is our property which Tru Blu/HES publish/distribute, RLL3 is property of Tru Blu/HES.

We have a great relationship, we just couldn't meet on the terms of a successor to AFL Live.

DBC is our property which Tru Blu/HES publish/distribute, RLL3 is property of Tru Blu/HES.

We have a great relationship, we just couldn't meet on the terms of a successor to AFL Live.

I'd love to know how that all went down in detail. Maybe one day Big Ant will release a tell all book, "When AFL games almost stopped sucking".

I'd love to know how that all went down in detail. Maybe one day Big Ant will release a tell all book, "When AFL games almost stopped sucking".

I think they DID stop sucking, but only temporarily :(

Also we probably should preface this with *arcade AFL games. Lots of people here have had a lot of fun with TAR, FF and Premiership Coach over the years :) (for me it was all about TAR baby).

Imagine the industry leading bigant creation suite in an AFL game.

The world is missing out.

Imagine the industry leading bigant creation suite in an AFL game.

The world is missing out.
Footy Academy would be amazing. Keen punters would have the draftees created and uploaded in no time. Even if they didn't have each state league you could easily create them. Trading would be a breeze. Or you could just download the community's best up to date version of each club and have it all done for you.

Every time I think about an AFL version of DBC I die inside a little.

Footy Academy would be amazing. Keen punters would have the draftees created and uploaded in no time. Even if they didn't have each state league you could easily create them. Trading would be a breeze. Or you could just download the community's best up to date version of each club and have it all done for you.

I still play AFL Live 1 religiously. I can't believe it's going to be half a decade since it was release, next April.

I am the same. Every time i load up DBC and its the loading screen i just think how good it would be.

I still hold onto hope that one day it will be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same. You never say never, I hold out hope that one day someone like Gillon will take an interest and wave the magic money wand. I'd like to think all we need is a few AFL execs seeing their kids playing FIFA all the time - surely this is a remote possibility.

I really wish The AFL was run by real people, not a corporation where the people running it aren't interested in making money for the company.

Same. You never say never, I hold out hope that one day someone like Gillon will take an interest and wave the magic money wand. I'd like to think all we need is a few AFL execs seeing their kids playing FIFA all the time - surely this is a remote possibility.
I think Eddie of all people raised it at some point. The AFL did what they do best though and ignored it.

I think Eddie of all people raised it at some point. The AFL did what they do best though and ignored it.

Yeah, his kids play FIFA, he was banging the drum for a while.

I really wish The AFL was run by real people, not a corporation where the people running it aren't interested in making money for the company.

Ummm........ Grrrrrrr god damn those altruistic corporations!!!!!!! Kahhhhhhhn!

The fact that it is run a business is why the afl would never bank roll this themselves. That it could very likely make a small profit is not really what they're interested in, its is the total capital investment vs the risk vs pay off.

The current model they do make money with no risk. If its a traditional license model they sell the AFL video game license to tru blu probably for some upfront cost and then a share of the profits, without assuming any of the development costs. Free $$$$$. Then really it's up to tru blue, who have decided the best business model is to make to make the game as cheap as possible and still sell to the fans that will buy no matter how s**t it is. If Big ants game costs twice as much to make but only sells 20% more theyr never gonna make that investment.

I think if I were to make a statement like you i would say:

I wish True Blu was run by actually gamers and AFL fans that had any pride in the product they sell, not some artless spreadsheet governed suits.

Ummm........ Grrrrrrr god damn those altruistic corporations!!!!!!! Kahhhhhhhn!

The fact that it is run a business is why the afl would never bank roll this themselves. That it could very likely make a small profit is not really what they're interested in, its is the total capital investment vs the risk vs pay off.

The current model they do make money with no risk. If its a traditional license model they sell the AFL video game license to tru blu probably for some upfront cost and then a share of the profits, without assuming any of the development costs. Free $$$$$. Then really it's up to tru blue, who have decided the best business model is to make to make the game as cheap as possible and still sell to the fans that will buy no matter how s**t it is. If Big ants game costs twice as much to make but only sells 20% more theyr never gonna make that investment.

I think if I were to make a statement like you i would say:

I wish True Blu was run by actually gamers and AFL fans that had any pride in the product they sell, not some artless spreadsheet governed suits.

They're not risking their own money.
That it could very likely make a small profit is not really what they're interested in, its is the total capital investment vs the risk vs pay off.
That's futile to believe that they're not trying to risk anything since they just added in two new clubs to Rugby league states.
The current model they do make money with no risk.
Like add two new clubs to Rugby league states and lose money? The small profit (that you think they'll get) from investing in AFL games would already be vastly profitable than the things they're investing in atm.

Maybe you should be saying, "The AFL should be run by people who love the sport, have any integrity about their products, invest in things that are known to profit and give the fans what they want."

The analogy between new clubs and the video game is a reasonable one, they are not profitable and may not be for many years, they are a marketing exercise - as the game should be - however it only works if the team is good, same goes for the video game.

We need to petition the AFL to investing some money into creating a video game. It would be cool if a number of companies like Big Ant could sell their ideas and plans for an AFL game to the AFL, and the AFL invests in the company best suited to developing it (hopefully Big Ant).

Hey Ross, have a merry Christmas!! You've brought us sports fans a lot of joy and fun with your games over the last five years, it's an amazing thing!!

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all here.

Thanks for your support, another big year ahead for BA!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back