Picola & District NW 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is your opinion on the league advertising for a full time JDO and casual match day secretaries?

Junior development officer is great. All for it

Personally, and this is just me, I beleive that the match day secretary positions are not needed and are an addition cost imposed on clubs for a role that has been handled by club volunteers for the most part very well for many many years.

I understand that the paperwork at times may not be done correctly. I beleive better education/support for existing volunteer MDS's could address this.

I would suggest 1 part time position be created. This person would be an assistant role to OM ( Brad). Their main focus would be on learning the sportingpulse IT system backwards. They could then offer 1 on 1 training for club MDS and also act as a go to person for IT issues to do with this sytem. You could also have this person go to a differnt game each week and conduct audits with the aim of education. They would also assist in the data processing related to match day that is currenty handled mainly by brad. I beleive this would be both more efficient and effective.

Junior development officer is great. All for it

Personally, and this is just me, I beleive that the match day secretary positions are not needed and are an addition cost imposed on clubs for a role that has been handled by club volunteers for the most part very well for many many years.

I understand that the paperwork at times may not be done correctly. I beleive better education/support for existing volunteer MDS's could address this.

I would suggest 1 part time position be created. This person would be an assistant role to OM ( Brad). Their main focus would be on learning the sportingpulse IT system backwards. They could then offer 1 on 1 training for club MDS and also act as a go to person for IT issues to do with this sytem. You could also have this person go to a differnt game each week and conduct audits with the aim of education. They would also assist in the data processing related to match day that is currenty handled mainly by brad. I beleive this would be both more efficient and effective.

if match day secretary role was limited to just the paperwork I would agree. I'm hopeful though these would be trained to provide guidance on match day to other volunteer roles. Example timekeepers, interchange, team managers. often some of these are ristered at clubs. basically run the whole match part of the day. Leaving clubs to focus on club/team things. Presidents might actually enjoy the day!!:D

Yes in the past this has been run by volunteers but they are harder to find and each year need to be trained. How many volunteers do numerous roles? How many get burned out or just sick of it?
Having a trained league person at every game in my view would give more confidence to those putting their hand up for the other roles needed to be covered on the day.
if we were to go with less numbers Id suggest one for each side of the league at least.
I would have no issue paying for a role like that. That's just my perspective.
Great initiatives by clubs and league to try anyway.

Some clubs are extremely lucky to have very capable MDS who volunteer their time each week & continue to turn up week after week generously giving their time to perform that role for their respective club. Good luck if you have one. But there would be just as many who struggle to find such a person. Maybe the league will ask clubs if they require the services of a league supplied MDS @ cost to there club, those clubs who don't require one can politely decline the service on offer. This may be the way to approach it. I agree with Wilty, it's getting dam hard to find people to take on any role at club level, so anything to reduce the work load on the volunteers we have has to be a positive.

AGM on the 23rd Dec merry xmas & happy new year to all 17 PDFNL clubs.

It would appear the league has in recent times made some massive financial improvement which has not increased clubs workload . Alternatively in other areas club volunteers have had to take on additional workload which in some areas has been well conveyed wanted by clubs and naturally well received and in others not so . Many other leagues or clubs within leagues are allegedly facing financial hardship .
Most of these additional needs placed on clubs is a result of the changing world which wants everything instantly .
Media are wishing information quicker it won't be long it starts to have a impact on the league's marketability and growth and more media start to snub the league .
If these issues can be addressed as well as fix the biggest concern clubs have . ' match day secretaries ' along , improve the accuracy , reduce the likelihood of unintended errors and also reduce workload on league staff surely it is a win ?
Once again if it commences as a optional service and clubs are able to also utilise this service if there person is unavailable I think it's good move .
Just keep in mind that there was a lot of apprehension when the league first decided to employee a full time ops manager .

Last edited:
On another matter great to see another player who was identified in the PDFNL join a AFL side .
Kyle Galloway ( Deni rovers ) Sydney rookie list.

That is very left field. Good luck to the young fella but from reports has struggled at TAC and even senior country football level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back