Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I asked why included him? Cause he's so talented? Or looks to have finally recovered? Also he breaks rather than being chronically injured I guess (splitting hairs).

Bews - Henderson - Kolodjashnij
Thurlow - Taylor - Mackie
Blicavs - Caddy - Lang
Motlop - Kersten - Murdoch
Menzel - Hawkins - Gregson
Smith - Selwood - Dangerfield
Horlin-Smith - Menegola - Smedts - Cockatoo

Alternatively:

Bews - Kolodjashnij - Smedts
Thurlow - Taylor - Mackie
Blicavs - Caddy - Lang
Motlop - Henderson - Murdoch
Menzel - Hawkins - Gregson
Smith - Selwood - Dangerfield
Horlin-Smith - Menegola - Kersten - Cockatoo

Only players I would put a line through there is Smedts.

I think Smedts, Cowan & McCarthy might struggle for a game next season.

Only players I would put a line through there is Smedts.

I think Smedts, Cowan & McCarthy might struggle for a game next season.
On paper perhaps, but with the way our injury history from 2012 - 2015 has gone, they'll be regulars by Rd 6.

Of course, it would be NICE if they never got that chance…. - just means we have no injuries….. :D

Go Catters

I suspect Cowan will be given opportunities, and perhaps Smedts as well. Decisions about the future need to be made with these two and if either of these two ( or both) have exceptional seasons it will only be good news for Geelong...they both have talent no doubt.

I'm not a McCarthy fan personally, and wouldn't be surprised to see him gone at the end of next season, or perhaps earlier if his injury re-occurs.

Interesting. I'd play McCarthy ahead of both smedts and Cowan.
But I think gregson has mc,Carthy's spot.

Gee...we disagree.....does this mean we snipe at each other for 20 pages ??

Do you get past the ladies tee yet?? :p:p

Interesting. I'd play McCarthy ahead of both smedts and Cowan.
But I think gregson has mc,Carthy's spot.

Everyone has a different view. I'd happily give Smedts games, with a major preference for the forward line. Don't have a lot of enthusiasm for either Cowan or McCarthy to be honest. Too many ahead of either in any position.

In any case, I doubt they'll be fit.

Everyone has a different view. I'd happily give Smedts games, with a major preference for the forward line. Don't have a lot of enthusiasm for either Cowan or McCarthy to be honest. Too many ahead of either in any position.

From the videos I've seen, both Cowan and Smedts seems to be in full training...though I understand your skepticism about Cowan, in particular, maintaining fitness.

Haven't seen McCarthy....agree on Smedts forward...though I wonder if the MC would agree with us...lets hope they do....or at least on a wing....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best 22 of 2016

B: Enright Lonergan Kolojadsnij
HB:Mackie Henderson Taylor
C: Caddy Dangerfield Duncan
HF:Vardy Clark Lang
F: Motlop Hawkins Menzel
Foll: Stanley J. Selwood Gregson
I: Bartel Guthrie Thurlow Blicavs

On paper perhaps, but with the way our injury history from 2012 - 2015 has gone, they'll be regulars by Rd 6.

Of course, it would be NICE if they never got that chance…. - just means we have no injuries….. :D

Go Catters

Sure you can argue on paper cause the season hasn't started.

However I think you need to be realistic and even if injuries do occur during the season these guys are too far down the list to get a sniff.

Knowing our injury history you would say there is definitely a high chance Kersten and even Buzza will get game time. A likely chance we might even elevate Delaney, Read or Lucey cause we always seem down on talls.

Yeah I know you don't rate McCarthy.
And his type is hit and miss. Gregson could still be a miss.

Although McCarthy has kicked 4/5ths of stuff all he looks a natural to me.
Hit or miss.

Gee...we disagree.....does this mean we snipe at each other for 20 pages ??

Do you get past the ladies tee yet?? :p:p
Funnily enough, my golf bag is 1 foot to my right.
Clubs might actually be dustier than your dick.

19 pages to go :p

Best 22 of 2016

B: Enright Lonergan Kolojadsnij
HB:Mackie Henderson Taylor
C: Caddy Dangerfield Duncan
HF:Vardy Clark Lang
F: Motlop Hawkins Menzel
Foll: Stanley J. Selwood Gregson
I: Bartel Guthrie Thurlow Blicavs

No Murdoch, Bews or Cockatoo?....It's going to be hard to find a spot for quite a few.

This year is going to be tough fitting everyone it. Looks to be a strong side on paper and hopefully injuries are kept to a minimum, but at least we seem to have a bit of depth again now. I don't see Cockatoo, Gregson playing as much this year (unless they are killing it, or injuries flare again). They will be ready to be regulars in 2017. Lang might come in and out a bit too ... but I think he looks ready to take the next step. Bews is an interesting proposition ... I think he might find himself in and out of the side also ... again ready for 2017. My only issue with the team below is the back line seems a little top heavy ... I think, depending on who we play (smaller forwards), then you will see one of the bigger guys get "rested" and the likes of Bews come in.

B: Henderson, Lonergan, Kolo
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Enright
C: Guthrie, Caddy, Duncan
HF: Lang, Clark, Menzel
F: Motlop, Hawkins, Cowan
R: Smith Dangerfield Selwood
Inter: Stanley, Selwood, Bartel, Blicavs
Emer: Cockatoo, Gregson, Bews

In his last game he showed he is a far better and more composed player then Smedts.

Cowan? Disagree. Solid game, but let's not get carried away (but who are we kidding). Smedts has shown just as much, and more, plenty of times. First half of 2013 off the top of my head (or the second half of 2012). But already people don't want to see it.

Cowan? Disagree. Solid game, but let's not get carried away (but who are we kidding). Smedts has shown just as much, and more, plenty of times. First half of 2013 off the top of my head (or the second half of 2012). But already people don't want to see it.

Tend to agree, played several games the equal or better then Cowen's at the beginning of 2013 (Hawks, Dogs, Tigers and Bombers) as a small forward, probably the only time he had an extended run in the position, but he's in a lot of people's crosshairs now so won't get much credit whatever he does from here on in I'd imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back