Mystery Kurt Cobain: suicide or murder?

Remove this Banner Ad

They did a documentary about Kurt and his demise. Now during it they interviewed some crazy bloke who said that Courtney paid him to do it. Now there is nothing to show that this is true but the guy did die from getting hit by a train not long after he admitted it so I don't know.

I think halfway through the doco the interviewer realised he didn't really have much of a case.

Talking to a bunch of heroin addicts always makes it difficult to substantiate what really happened.

Although undoubtedly hand picked footage after watching Montage Of Heck I just struggle to understand what motive would have been behind Courtney killing Kurt?

I worked very closely with their front of house sound engineer for a brief time in the late 90's.
He had some very interesting stories to tell about the relationship between Kirt and Courtney and the band.
Very Ono'esque.
Said Kirt was an amazing person,
but that he was one very ****ed up individual.
It was like hearing stories about the Beatles from those close to them that were never printed.
Mesmerising really.
I also met one of his earliest girlfriends whilst in Canada who was managing this club/rock venue.
She said he was a sweet guy but could be a real prick and that he knew he was destined to be what he would become and would/could not deal with it,essentially.
That's all I have to say.
I don't know either way.
But,Courtney,many would say that they wouldn't put it past her.
She was a real campaigner!.

Although undoubtedly hand picked footage after watching Montage Of Heck I just struggle to understand what motive would have been behind Courtney killing Kurt?

He was going to leave her supposably.

There's a recording of her admitting that Kurt had left her a note, in what is known as the "rome incident" (which at the time of the incident was labelled an "accident" and then after his death "a suicide attempt" by Courtney) In the recording Courtney Love states that a detective told her to destroy the note, Tom Grant then asks "why?" and she says "Because it wasn't really nice... It talked about getting a divorce".

Another recording and she states, "It was a suicide note... but he claims he was leaving me".

I think Courtney is a compulsive liar which muddles the case up further. There's rolling stone interview from late 94, in which she tells this story about how kurt brought a gun to the hospital the day after their daughter was born, and he was like "I'm going to do it," and she was like "no I'll go first". Sounds like a realistic scenario...

In the same article she states that of one her regrets was "flipping out" on the 18th of March 1994, after Kurt came home high. Kurt died on april 5th, so this about 2 weeks before his death. Courtney called the police saying that Kurt had locked himself in a room with a gun and said he was going to kill himself. The police came and detained kurt. The police report says kurt insisted he was not suicidal and did not want to hurt himself and that he locked himself in the room to "keep away from Courtney". The police report also states that after further interviewing with Courtney she stated "she did not see him with a gun, and he did not say he was going to kill himself".

I think the most interesting person in this conspiracy is Rosemary Carroll who was Kurt & Courtney's lawyer. She initially assisted Tom Grant, questioned the suicide note, and was finding flaws and holes in the stories of Courtney, and her friends. A recording of her states that she thought Dewitt (the nanny- close friend of courtneys) left a note for kurt at the seattle house, as he already knew kurt was dead and that the letter wasn't "sincere". Eventually she found out Grant was taping all the conversatios he was having with everyone and she did a complete backflip and threatened to sue. Allegedly around the same time Courtney made everyone sign a confidentiality agreement, even attempting to get Grant to sign it.

An interesting side note or coincidence the lyrics of "Dear rosemary" by the foo fighters.

"Truth ain't gonna change the way you lie
Youth ain't gonna change the way you die

Dear Rosemary
Dear Rosemary

You've got a way, got a way, got a way with things
You got away, got away, got away with things

False starts, young hearts get shattered
Pick up the pieces coming down around you
You ran away, ran away, it was right on cue"

Most likely completely unrelated but you can't help but link it back to the theory.

Last edited:
I beleive that guy was named El Duce or something similar.

Dodgy guy, and very dodgy circumstances surrouding his death. Who knows.

Agree.

He came to his house with a man his roommates/friends had never met before, said he was going out for a beer or the like with him, never came home. Was hit by a train and died that night. Supposably he did a lie detector test and passed. Would like to know more details around that but can't find much on it, only secondary sources from a book I do not have.

Here is the video from the broomfield doc with the El duce (Eldon hoke).

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. But he does seem crazy. Have a look at the comments in the video. Then listen closely to the sound in the background.

At the same time of him being unreliable, who do you go to if you want someone dead? That ****ing crazy guy you know.

He died within a week of that interview being recorded according to Justiceforkurt etc etc. Wiki has his death date in april 97, so it fits.

Definitely a strange one.

Agree.

He came to his house with a man his roommates/friends had never met before, said he was going out for a beer or the like with him, never came home. Was hit by a train and died that night. Supposably he did a lie detector test and passed. Would like to know more details around that but can't find much on it, only secondary sources from a book I do not have.

Here is the video from the broomfield doc with the El duce (Eldon hoke).

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. But he does seem crazy. Have a look at the comments in the video. Then listen closely to the sound in the background.

At the same time of him being unreliable, who do you go to if you want someone dead? That ****ing crazy guy you know.

He died within a week of that interview being recorded according to Justiceforkurt etc etc. Wiki has his death date in april 97, so it fits.

Definitely a strange one.

That video is fkd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like people calling for help in the background. There's a comment on the video that allegedly explains it (no idea of the validity or authenticity of the comment). If you look up the genre of his band it makes it a whole lot more disturbing.

That El Duce (aka Eldon Hoke) was one dubious individual ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldon_Hoke

It sounds like people calling for help in the background. There's a comment on the video that allegedly explains it (no idea of the validity or authenticity of the comment). If you look up the genre of his band it makes it a whole lot more disturbing.
And what's the explanation? Sorry for this.

And what's the explanation? Sorry for this.

If you just click on the video, it's the top comment. Some people say the video is fake, coming from a neighbours place. Who knows. I have no idea. There's nothing ****ed up in the video, unless you listen for it. You're safe to click on it

Edit: Well I guess the comment itself is somewhat disturbing. So in short the comment alleges El duce liked keeping people captive. No idea of the validity or truthfulness of the claim.

Last edited:
People think Tupac faked his death and went to live in Cuba. Elvis fans thought he was still alive.

It's just fans not wanting to let go of their hero

Who thinks those things? Which fans? There are no generalisations on this board.

A couple of years after he died I remember the popular theory being that Dave Grohl did it. Of course we were just a bunch of teenagers and no idea where that theory come from, maybe because of the whole shotgun thing and that he pretty much would've had to pull the trigger with his toe. Also Dave Grohl had the most to gain.

Seems a bit silly now. Like thinking Suge killed Pac. Ah crazy teens. Those were the days. Now we just talk about footy and who has the best youf, to which I obviously oblige in suggesting North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back