News Lewis Taylor charged over crime spree (and stealing a seatbelt buckle)

Have they locked this dangerous lunatic up yet?
I don't think a custodial sentence was even a remote possibility. The diversion program is far more appropriate.

GrizzlyCats

Debutant
Oct 8, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
This has to be one of the biggest piss takes since a competitive lions team

Eons

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool
Kick him out. Zero tolerance for this sort of mindless vandalism.

Do we know all the facts? Sure the club has sat him down and asked him what his version of the events are and dealt with it accordingly. Can't just go sacking blokes based on media speculation.

Be careful - there is s line and you're very close to it!
That line is the Warrnambool City limits. Once you go past Wangoom you are in the 'badlands.'

That is an incredibly detailed article!
I'll say! Part and parcel of living in a small town, I guess, that the "local" journos know and report every minute detail.

Not sure their home addresses really needed to be reported.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Club Statement – Lewis Taylor granted Diversion

Third-year player Lewis Taylor has been granted diversion in a Victorian court over his part in damage caused to old vehicles on a rural town property.

Taylor and a friend were each placed on a good behaviour bond for 12 months, with each required to contribute $500 to the State Emergency Service and $5317.87 in compensation to the victim.

The court accepted that Taylor and his friend thought the vehicles, coming to the end of their life cycle, were in a junk yard when they went to the property twice in October last year – but that did not excuse their actions.

No alcohol was involved, and the victim was happy for the case to go to diversion as Taylor and his friend “were young men who had just made mistakes”.

The Brisbane Lions have been working with the AFL Integrity Unit throughout the duration of the case.

The Club is satisfied Taylor, who cooperated fully with authorities since the incidents took place, is sorry for his actions.

The Club acknowledges the punishment handed down by the court and, as stated previously, will not be taking any further action in relation to the matter.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'll say! Part and parcel of living in a small town, I guess, that the "local" journos know and report every minute detail.

Not sure their home addresses really needed to be reported.

Looking forward to that journo's next report of a complicated homicide in town.

Sep 30, 2008
Western Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
It's a very ordinary newspaper that has been cut to the bone by Fairfax regional and so the cheapest form of material for its paper is to sit someone in court and report on any minute detail- more so if the person has a profile. The word sub is often added as a prefix by most persons who know of it. Describe the scribe as a journalist may be a bit of a stretch.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's a very ordinary newspaper that has been cut to the bone by Fairfax regional and so the cheapest form of material for its paper is to sit someone in court and report on any minute detail- more so if the person has a profile. The word sub is often added as a prefix by most persons who know of it. Describe the scribe as a journalist may be a bit of a stretch.

Please pick me up a copy with the 785-page lift-out when they do cover a murder.

TIL Threat > Criminal Damage

I'd suggest it's not worth making these comments, glass houses and all that
I'd suggest I can make whatever comment I want on our board, especially one that is clearly just poking fun.

Chill pill, take one.

TIL Threat > Criminal Damage

I'd suggest it's not worth making these comments, glass houses and all that

You're downplaying Martin's efforts - threat? Or assault?

How is an assault defined in the law?
A useful starting off point in identifying how an assault is defined by the various criminal codes is Queensland’s definition. The Criminal Code in s 245 defines assault as the following:

(1) A person who strikes, touches, or moves, or otherwise applies force of any kind to, the person of another, either directly or indirectly, without the other person's consent, or with the other person's consent if the consent is obtained by fraud, or who by any bodily act or gesture attempts or threatens to apply force of any kind to the person of another without the other person's consent, under such circumstances that the person making the attempt or threat has actually or apparently a present ability to effect the person's purpose, is said to assault that other person, and the act is called an assault.

Are verbal threats considered an assault?
Threats to seriously injure, or kill another person is considered as an assault, but the threat has to create a fear that it would be carried out. Threats that are unlikely or impossible would not normally be considered as an assault. Threatening to kill or injure someone is a crime that is not taken lightly by the states. In Victoria for example, threats to kill as spelled out in s 20 of the Crimes Act carries with it a maximum of 10 years imprisonment if it is real, rather than fanciful.

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4274/assault-laws-in-australia-definitions-and-defences.aspx

Back