Welcome to Collingwood Josh Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I watch a lot of NEAFL footy and this kid is good. Extremely good in fact. I picked out Tom Bell as a gun 18 months before he got picked up by Carlton, and for the past two seasons have been willing to tell anyone that would listen how good Josh Smith is. He is a running machine, and would die for the cause. I really hope he gets a chance to play senior footy. You guys should be pumped on this pick. He will definitely impact at VFL level.

And in response to a previous post, he actually had no idea he had been drafted until later on Friday afternoon.

Sam Dwyer like replacement? Hard working, no frills type midfielder. Will bust his gut to get the absolute most out of himself now he's been given an opportunity. 6 years younger though and probably a longer kick but reminds me a lot of him.

What were Dwyer's numbers like when we rookied him from the VFL? Smith ave 28 disposals at NEAFL level which is a step below VFL but would be an interesting comparison.

I have a sneaky feeling this guy will be another rookie success for Hine.

Averaged 22 disposals per game in 2012.

Averaged 22 disposals per game in 2012.

Cheers. 22 in the VFL would be close to the equivalent of 28 in the NEAFL probably.

I like the fact that in his assessment Hine said that Smith had put together a very impressive body of work over the last couple of years. We've obviously been watching him for a while.

I watch a lot of NEAFL footy and this kid is good. Extremely good in fact. I picked out Tom Bell as a gun 18 months before he got picked up by Carlton, and for the past two seasons have been willing to tell anyone that would listen how good Josh Smith is. He is a running machine, and would die for the cause. I really hope he gets a chance to play senior footy. You guys should be pumped on this pick. He will definitely impact at VFL level.

And in response to a previous post, he actually had no idea he had been drafted until later on Friday afternoon.
Who's that in your avatar?

Meh dude has mad athletism but he thinks he has a decent long range shot but his friggin awful from long range, oh wait

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched his interview. Very well spoken and mature for his age (21). Clearly has the running capacity and just by listening to him you know that he won't die wondering. Could surprise and play quite a few games next year.

Yep, impressed with his interview, seems a well grounded guy. The teaching/childcare background is an interesting one. Good on him. We've had some great wins with rookies in recent years, and some bad fails. Hope he is in the former category.

Yep, impressed with his interview, seems a well grounded guy. The teaching/childcare background is an interesting one. Good on him. We've had some great wins with rookies in recent years, and some bad fails. Hope he is in the former category.

Certainly speaks very well, just hope he has the scope to improve.

I just saw the interview with Josh on Facebook, I just commented and said how refreshing it is to see a young kid be so humble and thankful for the opportunity.

Nothing against anyone, but I appreciate the working class footballer just that little bit more. There'd be so many young kids in the AFL right now who have been graced with academy programs, representative teams, the best quality coaches all throughout their junior football careers and coming into their draft years. Add to that the fact that they've probably never held a proper job, been private school educated and I dare say living off mum and dad's money.

I like seeing guys who work hard during the day to pay bills and use footy as an outlet, still be fortunate enough to pave a career in the AFL.

Fwiw, Nothing against private schools, and all that jazz, just saying it's nice to see someone get to AFL level through a non-typical path.

Cant wait to see Smithy in action in the black and White, really looks as if though hes willing to put in the hard yards and press for the seniors. Really well spoken for man in his early 20s and has all the skills to make it into the big league.

I just saw the interview with Josh on Facebook, I just commented and said how refreshing it is to see a young kid be so humble and thankful for the opportunity.

Nothing against anyone, but I appreciate the working class footballer just that little bit more. There'd be so many young kids in the AFL right now who have been graced with academy programs, representative teams, the best quality coaches all throughout their junior football careers and coming into their draft years. Add to that the fact that they've probably never held a proper job, been private school educated and I dare say living off mum and dad's money.

I like seeing guys who work hard during the day to pay bills and use footy as an outlet, still be fortunate enough to pave a career in the AFL.

Fwiw, Nothing against private schools, and all that jazz, just saying it's nice to see someone get to AFL level through a non-typical path.

Surely it's only really the Vic Metro kids who get most of that stuff?

He looks like that Sam Dwyer (Obviously younger) that can come into the side and play some solid footy, Really reckon Hine and co have got a pretty good player. He's speedy, Beautiful kick and just hard working!

Surely it's only really the Vic Metro kids who get most of that stuff?
Yes and No. Every state has private schools and rep sides. But yes, Vic Metro is a very stereotypical path to the AFL.

Yes and No. Every state has private schools and rep sides. But yes, Vic Metro is a very stereotypical path to the AFL.

Well yeah, I guess Perth and Adelaide would have a few contributing too but a lot of WA players come from rural areas don't they? Not sure about SA. I doubt there's much in the way of AFL pathways in the 'elite' NSW/QL schools due to rugby.

Well yeah, I guess Perth and Adelaide would have a few contributing too but a lot of WA players come from rural areas don't they? Not sure about SA. I doubt there's much in the way of AFL pathways in the 'elite' NSW/QL schools due to rugby.
I wouldn't know to be honest. There's obviously the northern academies. I'm not saying all footballers are private school snobs, I'm just saying that it's refreshing hearing about a 21 year old guy who works during the day, and is thinking more about his livelihood rather than what time the draft starts and whether or not he's getting picked.

J.Smith
Sounds suspiciously like Hine just flipped through the telephone book & chose a name randomly.

Nb do you still have telephone books? Stopped in Singapore years ago..
Sorry, haven't heard of the telephone series. Are they available on kindle?

Is he a good kick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back