Richmond Jumper Number Changes for 2016

they not told us the Rookie #'s yet..... DrMike
I said Tuesday :p
Who ever got the number next would be under pressure. IMO it's best to give it to a family member.
We can't live in the past
There's a closer family member coming in a few years, gonna tell him he can't have it now?

I don't like it unless he's "holding it" until then

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Are we going to call him Mr Magic too? Junior Boy?

Way too soon. 17 should only ever be worn by a certified star. Not a draftee.
Rules are made to be broken , there is a family lineage that links him with that number , it's a great story and never lose sight that this game is in fact about entertainment , it all adds up to making sense , the argument against is being pig headed

so pleased to see #17 on the ground again
So much this. Was doing the great man an injustice having no one in it.

More than happy for it to be passed onto a family member who has previously worn it. Goodluck to the lad

I said Tuesday :p

There's a closer family member coming in a few years, gonna tell him he can't have it now?

I don't like it unless he's "holding it" until then
What's to say he makes it though? All well and good to say he's coming but until he's on the list that's still a massive ?

Are we going to call him Mr Magic too? Junior Boy?

Way too soon. 17 should only ever be worn by a certified star. Not a draftee.
Who handed Jack Dyer the number 17 out of interest?

It's a number ffs. It has great history in our club, Daniels family has great history in our club in THAT number.

I'm just so glad it's back on the back of someone. Such a silly thing to be getting our knickers in a twist over

At the end of the day it makes sense... Cotch went against 'tradition' by not wearing #17 because he felt linked to another number... Rioli wearing #17 makes perfect sense...

There is however a potential problem if MJ lands at the club.
Conspiracy theory, Cotch was leaving it for Rioli ;) :p

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Just ask yourselfs these questions

* Is this #17 thing really a tradition at Richmond - No its not was only introduced with waybe campbell being captain, So its reasonable recent.

* MR Junior isnt even playing football anymore and the chances of him playing for Richmond look like 1% atm

* Just go back through the history books to see some of the spuds that have actually worn the jumper,I can only count a handful of players that are better than reasonable with only Dyer/Rioli the true standouts

*Ask your self this question , If jack Dyer was alive today would he want Daniel to get the #17 now - Im thinking yes

* The #17 is not sacrosanct ,The club has used it in the past to lure players to the club and was always intended to be fielded and not mothballed

Even his son, Jack Jr., was handed the jumper by his father and managed to wear it in three senior games in 1960, saying years later: “I wish I could have been a better footballer.”

Future Richmond players would also be seduced with the promise of wearing Dyer’s number in the hope of coaxing them to the club.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
This is a great decision.

He wants the number, we want him to wear the number, give it to him FFS.

Calls of him making it are irrelevant, if he does or if he doesn't the number he wears wont impact the result.

What it will do is let us old fellas get our jolly s watching a Rioli wearing number 17 for the tigers on the MCG.

Tremendous fan based decision.

Can't wait for round 1, when he debutes ;)

Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Making players earn 'it' with a lower number doesn't make any sense to me. They don't play hard to try and earn a better jumper number. They play for premierships and the jumper itself.
I'm happy with it because it will suit him and it's my favourite number.

Back