Non-Lions Footy Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

12295253_542519082588991_7423468408574239621_n.jpg

Bit of work to do for Motlop

Good on the Crows for dealing with the loss of a superstar like Dangerfield in the way that they have. It is impossible to replace a gun like Dangerfield, however, I think their list overall has improved this off season. They recruited some suspect players like Seedsman and Hampton but they have potential. Adding Menzel, Hampton, Seedsman, Gore, Milera and Doedee adds to both their best 22 and depth imo. Their forward line is really dangerous with Walker, Betts, Cameron and Menzel.

Carlton's list turnover this year has been crazy. The have added 15 new players, 12 on the senior list and 3 to their rookie list. The introductions will take a while! 5 players added via trade: Sam Kerridge, Lachie Plowman, Liam Sumner, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips. 2 DFA's: Daniel Gorringe and Matthew Wright. 5 in the draft: Jacob Weitering, Harry McKay, Charlie Curnow, David Cunningham, and Jack Silvagni, and the 3 rookies Jesse Glass-McKasker, Andrew Galluci, and Matt Korcheck. Crazy list rejuvenation.

The Bombers have kick started their rebuild as well adding 7 players through the national draft and 3 new rookies. Darcy Parish, Aaron Francis, Alex Morgan, Mason Redman, Mitch Brown, Yestin Eades, Michael Hartley. And Gach Nyuon, Antony McDonald-Tipungwuti, and Tom Wallis.

Good on the Crows for dealing with the loss of a superstar like Dangerfield in the way that they have. It is impossible to replace a gun like Dangerfield, however, I think their list overall has improved this off season. They recruited some suspect players like Seedsman and Hampton but they have potential. Adding Menzel, Hampton, Seedsman, Gore, Milera and Doedee adds to both their best 22 and depth imo. Their forward line is really dangerous with Walker, Betts, Cameron and Menzel.
The key point for me is that none of those players help their midfield much. It looks pretty thin without Dangerfield.

Carlton's list turnover this year has been crazy. The have added 15 new players, 12 on the senior list and 3 to their rookie list.

We've been significant on that front for several years.
2013 - 13 changes (10 senior list + 3 rookie list)
2014 - 12 changes (9+3)
2015 - 11 changes (9+2)

At least we're slowly starting to reduce the changes.

The Demons have been mediocre for so long, however, I think Clayton Oliver and Sam Weideman are decent selections. If they can both develop into quality players, the Demons actually have a genuinely talented young core developing including, Hogan, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Tyson, Viney, Oliver and Weideman. Give it 3 or so years and I think the Demons will be a good club again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key point for me is that none of those players help their midfield much. It looks pretty thin without Dangerfield.
Yep their midfield undoubtedly takes a huge hit but one of their key weaknesses has been outside run. They actually have some decent inside midfielders including Sloane, Thompson and the Crouch brothers just to name a few and Dean Gore can play inside. Outside run and carry has been a major weakness and they have addressed that through the additions of Seedsman, Hampton and Milera.

Yep we can definitely relate. Was more just shocked to see 12 changes to their senior list alone.

I reckon they let go of some reasonable players with talent and replaced them with average players (on current showing) and some promising draftees. They let go of Yarran, Henderson, Bell and Menzel. Relying a lot on their draftees.

I wonder how prepared the fitness/medical team was for the sessions up here?
Yeah they may have gone a bit stupid and run sessions during the middle of the day. Players also would need to adjust to the increases hydration needs as well

hehe - Pickering "delusional, desperate and destructuve"

Lawyers for a Melbourne businessman suing high-profile AFL player manager Liam Pickering for more than $2.5 million have claimed the former Geelong player was "delusional, desperate and destructive" when he left one company to set up his own business.

"He worked out he'd be paid more money by walking out the door," barrister David Denton, QC, representing Jason Sourasis, owner of Strategic Management Australia AFL (SMAFL), told the Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Mr Denton said another AFL player agent, James Pitcher, had been Mr Pickering's underling at SMAFL when he was deceptive, deficient and delinquent in his duties.

The barrister said Mr Sourasis had trusted Mr Pickering and Mr Pitcher but ended up being "tormented" when they resigned on May 1, 2014, and set up a rival management group taking most of their SMAFL clients with them.

The clients included players Lance Franklin, Gary Ablett, Jack Riewoldt, Dane Swan and Sydney coach John Longmire.

Mr Denton said Mr Pitcher had two months earlier on March 11, 2014, sent a series of emails from his SMAFL email account to his personal email account containing confidential information, including details of players' contracts. Mr Pitcher later claimed this was done in order to obtain legal advice before he left SMAFL.

Mr Sourasis alleged he lost more than $2.5 million in commissions and endorsement payments after a total of 31 players and coaches terminated their contracts with SMAFL and later signed up with Mr Pickering's new company, Precision Sports and Entertainment Group.

Agents for AFL players and coaches usually receive between 2 to 4 per cent of a client's contract with a particular club, as well as a 20 per cent cut from any lucrative endorsement deals organised for clients.

Justice Michael Sifris, who revealed he was a Carlton supporter, described the expected two-week civil trial as a "messy" one involving thousands of documents where the loser would have to pay a significant amount in legal costs.

The court was told an attempt would be made during the trial to keep details of exactly how much players and coaches were earning confidential.

Mr Denton said Mr Pickering had been working as a player agent for the International Management Group when poached by Mr Sourasis to work for him in his new venture, SMAFL.

Mr Denton said the deal involved Mr Pickering receiving a $200,000 sign-on fee, an annual salary of $200,000 and a 40 per cent share in the company and its profits.

Mr Sourasis would receive a 40 per cent share in the company and his close friend, North Melbourne defender Michael Firrito, 20 per cent.

Mr Pickering, considered to be one of the best player agents in the AFL, began working for SMAFL in September 2012 but later complained about Mr Sourasis interfering in the business.

The former Cats player, who is counter-suing Mr Sourasis claiming he engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct, alleged he was effectively duped by Mr Sourasis when agreeing to work with him.

Mr Pickering said he was promised a 50 per cent share of the company and was only paid $107,000 of the sign-on fee, with Mr Sourasis claiming the rest of the money had to paid as tax.

In his writ, Mr Sourasis claimed Mr Pickering breached his contractual obligations by denying Mr Sourasis any access or involvement in the management of SMAFL, wanting him to be a silent partner.

An example of this was when Lance Franklin signed the most lucrative deal in AFL history in September 2013 with Sydney.

Mr Sourasis claimed Mr Pickering never told him about the negotiations, terms, payments, commissions or sponsorships relating to the $10 million Franklin deal.

The trial continues.

pfft, thats nothing. I raise you to 43 degrees in Perth in the summer.
I've been in Perth when it has been 40 degrees and I can tell you it's kinda like Brisbane at 33-35 degrees. Humidity is what makes the huge difference. When temps get 35+ for Brisbane you just can't breathe at all, you can't sweat either to cool yourself down as the sweat won't evaporate. The heat just pushes you down and saps all energy from you. You just can't hide from the humidity so even standing under a tree in shade it bloody awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back