Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

Most aboriginal players have the ability to be superstars but most struggle in the environment and don't live up to their ability.

Rioli comes from an AFL background and has the right DNA to get it done. I reckon he will be a star!

he has also been based in Victoria for a number of years. Has followed a very similar path to Cyril.

Are you being sarcastic? It confirms nothing of the sort. The only people putting pressure on him will be the fans and they shouldn't be because it's totally counter productive. Dimma has already openly stated he's going to take time. If we were desperate to bring a Rioli to the club, we could have drafted Ben Rioli with our final pick.
Tiger fans no pressure? Come on mate,You know it will happen always does.So 1 good game and a good combine test over rides more consistent performances by others thoughout the year?
Disagree. We took him as he was the best small at our pick still there.

Also its not the kids fault, the club is just honoring Maurice legacy to offer the option for his blood kin to wear his number he wore with distinction. It is not like it has not been done before at many clubs that the son wears the fathers/grand fathers number.

Also the other big reason we recruited Daniel was his ability to prove he had the self discipline to improve his fitness and skill level to not only excel but smash everyone at the combine, it shows he wants to succeed and IMO he will.
Like i said i,m not blaming the kid whats so ever.He shouldn't have been offered it in the first place,As for the issue of taking him @ 12 oddly enough he was hardly mentioned on this board when discussions were ongoing about who to take @12.What does that tell you?

In aboriginal culture they have a slightly different conception of family, aunties and uncles are as close and as important as mother and father. Hence the confusion over great uncle/grandfather. Technically, Maurice is his great uncle, but to him he is his grandfather.

I'm quite happy for Daniel to have been offered 17 due to his family connection for this reason. The club would have a pretty good understanding of his maturity through the recruitment process and I'm sure they wouldn't have offered it to him if they felt it could be a burden.

Tiger fans no pressure? Come on mate,You know it will happen always does.So 1 good game and a good combine test over rides more consistent performances by others thoughout the year?

Like i said i,m not blaming the kid whats so ever.He shouldn't have been offered it in the first place,As for the issue of taking him @ 12 oddly enough he was hardly mentioned on this board when discussions were ongoing about who to take @12.What does that tell you?

Cripps was seen as a reach for Carlton. He was taken over more experienced/accomplished guys like Crouch, Dunstan, Lewis Taylor and Billy Hartung. Even Dom Sheed who was taken two picks before Carlton's has been no where near Cripps was last season and Dom was Cripps' captain, U18 AA member and Larke medalist for best player in the championships. They were rewarded because they drafted based on what a player COULD be as opposed to the best player at that point in time.

One good game and a good Combine.... sounds like Cockatoo form last years draft to me. No one questions the great Stephen Wells though.

Rioli probably wasn't mentioned much when discussing who to take at pick 12 because none of us are pro recruiters on here?
Have a read of this 2013 draft preview, http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubbyclub-guide-to-the-2013-afl-draft-20131115-2xm5h.html
No mention of Cripps AT ALL.
Cripps didn't even make Champion Data's top 30 of that year and Jay Clark mocked him to Essendon at pick 26! sound familiar? http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rospects-of-2013/story-fni5f22o-1226759925435

Meet gun prospect Patrick Cripps
DRAFT RANGE Most likely to be picked in the 20-40 range.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-31/21-days-to-the-draft-meet-patrick-cripps

I'm not saying Rioli is going to be a screaming success like Cripps has been but people always complain, "Why didn't we pick Fyfe?" Why didn't we pick Parker or Sloane?" but when the club picks Rioli based on what he COULD BE people crack the shits anyway. Back the club in and get behind the kid.

can see him not living up to the hype now after getting 17 and this being a fail

then traded in 3 years

"it was probably a bit too much to be bonest, me wearing #17" presser for new club :drunk:

are you really Boomer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, overreact much? Seriously, as if the number he wears on his back has any real bearing on whether he makes it as a footballer. If anything it will add just that little bit of extra inspiration to follow in Maurice's footsteps. If any player is so mentally weak that their jumper no. becomes a burden then let's face it, they're never going to make it anyway.

I am not understanding all the anger over a number. Its damned if you do damned if you don't on this board at times. The club finally takes a gamble and signs the young man based on his huge upside potential after years of most people here whinging like school kids over vanilla/safe picks and "grrr why did we take him he isn't a sure thing" :drunk:
Then the club OFFERS the young man his famous grandfathers/great uncles number as a sign of respect for the Rioli tradition at tigerland and what does the young man do? Say yes straight away? No, he goes back and asks the Rioli family what they think about it and gets the families approval in wearing no:17. If the Rioli family is ok with it what ****ing problem should any of us have? The answer is plainly NONE.

Cripps was seen as a reach for Carlton. He was taken over more experienced/accomplished guys like Crouch, Dunstan, Lewis Taylor and Billy Hartung. Even Dom Sheed who was taken two picks before Carlton's has been no where near Cripps was last season and Dom was Cripps' captain, U18 AA member and Larke medalist for best player in the championships. They were rewarded because they drafted based on what a player COULD be as opposed to the best player at that point in time.

One good game and a good Combine.... sounds like Cockatoo form last years draft to me. No one questions the great Stephen Wells though.

Rioli probably wasn't mentioned much when discussing who to take at pick 12 because none of us are pro recruiters on here?
Have a read of this 2013 draft preview, http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubbyclub-guide-to-the-2013-afl-draft-20131115-2xm5h.html
No mention of Cripps AT ALL.
Cripps didn't even make Champion Data's top 30 of that year and Jay Clark mocked him to Essendon at pick 26! sound familiar? http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rospects-of-2013/story-fni5f22o-1226759925435

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-31/21-days-to-the-draft-meet-patrick-cripps

I'm not saying Rioli is going to be a screaming success like Cripps has been but people always complain, "Why didn't we pick Fyfe?" Why didn't we pick Parker or Sloane?" but when the club picks Rioli based on what he COULD BE people crack the shits anyway. Back the club in and get behind the kid.
i don't really care about what other kids or clubs do.The whole post season had gone paired shaped right from the time Treloar was going to the Pies,Motlop re-signing>>Harlett knocking us back,Even GC taking our preferred option in Ah Chee,Its smells all wrong to me,An act of desperation,Afterall the knock backs they have something to hang their hat on over summer.What Rioli could be?Who knows,You can ask the very same question about every other kid in the draft.
He's in Richmond colors and like every other kid I,ll support him/them to the cows come home.Doesn't mean i can,t question the decision in the first place.

I am not understanding all the anger over a number. Its damned if you do damned if you don't on this board at times. The club finally takes a gamble and signs the young man based on his huge upside potential after years of most people here whinging like school kids over vanilla/safe picks and "grrr why did we take him he isn't a sure thing" :drunk:
Then the club OFFERS the young man his famous grandfathers/great uncles number as a sign of respect for the Rioli tradition at tigerland and what does the young man do? Say yes straight away? No, he goes back and asks the Rioli family what they think about it and gets the families approval in wearing no:17. If the Rioli family is ok with it what ****ing problem should any of us have? The answer is plainly NONE.
Yeh mate, I reckon number 17 is a prime number for Rioli. ;)

i don't really care about what other kids or clubs do.The whole post season had gone paired shaped right from the time Treloar was going to the Pies,Motlop re-signing>>Harlett knocking us back,Even GC taking our preferred option in Ah Chee,Its smells all wrong to me,An act of desperation,Afterall the knock backs they have something to hang their hat on over summer.What Rioli could be?Who knows,You can ask the very same question about every other kid in the draft.
He's in Richmond colors and like every other kid I,ll support him/them to the cows come home.Doesn't mean i can,t question the decision in the first place.

You didn't question the decision, you said we drafted Rioli because of his name and that the decision to give him the number 17 "confirms it"...

It was a very definitive statement from you. Questions usually end with a question mark.

You can crow about Collingwood getting Treloar (I was very keen on him as well) but the Pies lost a top 10 draft pick to St. Kilda and a top 6 draft pick to a 2nd ACL tear. GC may have gotten Ah Chee but they lost Bennell, Dixon and continue to have massive cultural issues.

Usually im on the other side but in this years draft i support the club in going left field and selecting a player for 'needs'

Small foward is a bit like ruckman where you need a 'special player' rather than just get 4-5 and see what happens (we have tried that)

The main thing about Daniel that i do like is that he has all the tools to make it,Speed,Stamina,Footy Smarts,Marking and kicking are all there

#17 its a no brainer, Kids name is rioli he has a right to the number same as Dyer jnr did when he played his 3 games

So to all the princesses get over it the kids in the tiger colours and will wear the #17 so just support him and hope he becomes a 'GUN'

You didn't question the decision, you said we drafted Rioli because of his name and that the decision to give him the number 17 "confirms it"...

It was a very definitive statement from you. Questions usually end with a question mark.
Just my opinion on how i see things.I'm very cynical when it comes too certain things.I guess the 3 EF losses and the BS excuses after it has me wary of what/why or how the club make some decisions.This is one of those occasions.I must point out i'm not potting Daniel at all but moreso the process and the spin(as i see it) comes with it.

Great post brother, you made me moist.

18tH92-1G5w-300x200.jpg

Post reported. Account hijacked. TFL78 is on an international flight at the moment.

I have booked in 4 whinges a day over the offseason (down from my usual 7) and nuffin you can say is gonna stop me.:mad:
Tomorrow I'm going with:
1. Dimma shouldn't have run at the 3km time trial - too old and fat, typical spin and media whoring.
2. Dimma is a fat campaigner and should exercise more - take up running maybe.
3. The assistant coaches are too old or been around too long - both Williams, Ross Smith etc.
4. Not enough experience in the box on game day, too many untried assistants - Truck, Ferguson, McQualter.

This is bigfooty. Logic is not welcome here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back