2015 Formula One World Championship - Round Nineteen - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina)

Remove this Banner Ad

I packed it in and went to bed before 1am. No regrets.

Its a little like that, they were saying Mercedes got 86% of the total maximum points they could have achieved this year, it was way to one sided. I really hope they can have one or two challengers in 2016, because this was like watching the Harlem Globtrotters playing and not proper racing.

Plus I think if 2016 is like this, Bernie is going to start to get cold feet and change rules left, right and centre to get the other cars back into it rather than letting nature take its course.

Last edited:

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Are you sure? You might want a long off-season instead?

I liked this post without watching the race.
Mercedes will win the title again next year. All the major rule changes come into effect in 2017 which will hopefully even things up, plus the noise of the cars will be back.

I watched max 5 races this year, the 4 years before that I probably missed 5-10. It's been a dreadful season. WEC and Moto GP are far more interesting to watch as there is proper wheel to wheel racing AND it's competitive.

Kudos for getting that far. I had a bit of a personal struggle simply on deciding whether to record it or not.
I booked the day off earlier in the year, as I do for all GP's that are on late. So I kind of felt obligated to watch it. But it felt like such an ordeal.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Mercedes will win the title again next year. All the major rule changes come into effect in 2017 which will hopefully even things up, plus the noise of the cars will be back.

I watched max 5 races this year, the 4 years before that I probably missed 5-10. It's been a dreadful season. WEC and Moto GP are far more interesting to watch as there is proper wheel to wheel racing AND it's competitive.
I'm not having a go at your opinion on F1 racing. I just think it's too easy to have a pop at it as a spectacle, when to things that don't matter are focused so much on.

Whatever rule changes proposed for 17 won't do much. The noise makes absolutely no difference to the performance on track. Current F1 cars are still louder that V8sc. So I don't see why such a big deal is made of it.

Getting excited over WEC is like getting excited over VFL/SANFL/WAFL.

Motogp has it's share of processional races. Lorenzo led every lap for 4 races straight earlier this season.

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
I'm not having a go at your opinion on F1 racing. I just think it's too easy to have a pop at it as a spectacle, when to things that don't matter are focused so much on.

Whatever rule changes proposed for 17 won't do much. The noise makes absolutely no difference to the performance on track. Current F1 cars are still louder that V8sc. So I don't see why such a big deal is made of it.

Getting excited over WEC is like getting excited over VFL/SANFL/WAFL.

Motogp has it's share of processional races. Lorenzo led every lap for 4 races straight earlier this season.
Did you go to the GP this year? No way are F1 cars louder than V8s.

Surely you will agree there were some bog average races this season. And yes, there are average races every reason, but if the championship is competitive people will forget that as they will look at the bigger picture.

And you may think the sound is irrelevant as you're a long time fan, but it has incredible pulling power for the casuals. Its what drew me and I'm sure what first drew millions around the world to watch the sport in the first place, then the action and competition was what got me hooked.

The numbers tell the story, viewing figures are down all over the world, especially in Europe. Work needs to be done to fix the sport, or atleast help other teams be more competitive.

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
Did you go to the GP this year? No way are F1 cars louder than V8s.

Surely you will agree there were some bog average races this season. And yes, there are average races every reason, but if the championship is competitive people will forget that as they will look at the bigger picture.

And you may think the sound is irrelevant as you're a long time fan, but it has incredible pulling power for the casuals. Its what drew me and I'm sure what first drew millions around the world to watch the sport in the first place, then the action and competition was what got me hooked.

The numbers tell the story, viewing figures are down all over the world, especially in Europe. Work needs to be done to fix the sport, or atleast help other teams be more competitive.
Maybe there are some processional races. But i'd take that over the last 3 GFs.

I was at the Friday of the f1 this year. I sat in t9/10 in the morning, and t11/12 in the afternoon. The engine noise from both f1 ands v8sc was comparable.

Fair enough that you and I may see it differently since I'm a hardened motorsport fans, and you say you're a casual fan. But the point is, you and I don't have to fund these cars. They have to be worthwhile to spend the money to build them. If you were hired in a managerial position of one of the manufacturers, you would immediately change you view.

The truth is. There's nothing wrong with preferring WEC over F1. Up until a few years ago, sportscar/GT has mainly been ignored due to fans interest in F1 and whatever was the latest fad (BTCC, NASCAR). If anything, the popularity of F1 does need to be toned down a bit. F1 won't die.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Maybe there are some processional races. But i'd take that over the last 3 GFs.

I was at the Friday of the f1 this year. I sat in t9/10 in the morning, and t11/12 in the afternoon. The engine noise from both f1 ands v8sc was comparable.

Fair enough that you and I may see it differently since I'm a hardened motorsport fans, and you say you're a casual fan. But the point is, you and I don't have to fund these cars. They have to be worthwhile to spend the money to build them. If you were hired in a managerial position of one of the manufacturers, you would immediately change you view.

The truth is. There's nothing wrong with preferring WEC over F1. Up until a few years ago, sportscar/GT has mainly been ignored due to fans interest in F1 and whatever was the latest fad (BTCC, NASCAR). If anything, the popularity of F1 does need to be toned down a bit. F1 won't die.
I see myself as a hardened F1 fan (I was referring to when I first watched the sport 10 years ago), and a casual motorsport fan with regards to the other formats. I spend $400+ a year on my GP ticket and before this season would watch every race regardless of the time.

I'm not saying teams should increase the sound just for the sake of it (Mercedes tried to and failed), but you can't say that the sound isn't synonymous with the sport. Most of the lesser tracks were actually threatening legal action when they brought the turbos in because they used the sound to market the event for ticket sales and they could no longer do that. They brought in the turbo engines to make the sport competitive after Red Bull's dominance, and it backfired dramatically both on and on the track (not only are they quieter but they are more expensive making it even harder for the lesser teams to be competitive). But I'm happy to agree to disagree with you if you feel otherwise.

F1 will always be my number 1 preferred motorsport, but in terms of this season alone I much preferred the races I saw in the Moto GP than the ones I saw in F1.

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
I missed this race and from what I can gather this was no bad thing. Hopefully Ferrari can close the gap next year.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back