Club Mgmt. Essendon to not bid on Women's Licence

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-...witter&utm_campaign=RSS+feed:+AFL+Latest+News

ESSENDON has joined the ranks of clubs keen to introduce a women's team in 2017, with the Bombers announcing they will bid for a licence when the competition begins.

The AFL continues to push forward with its plan to introduce a full-scale women's competition within two years and the Bombers are among the clubs who will ask to field a side.

I'm glad that Essendon are pushing for this, growing the women's game is one of the most important things to do for the league IMO and I hope we're a big part of it.

The idea would be to have the league as curtain-raisers to the main game.

Being flippant for a minute, could this be the way Hird comes back to the club?
Humour me; how are the two things linked, pazza?

Anyway, I hope we get a team. It's a good concept.

The idea would be to have the league as curtain-raisers to the main game.

Being flippant for a minute, could this be the way Hird comes back to the club?
God Dammit Pazza

I've been umpiring afl 9s for the last few weeks at my local club and there's a mixed team that's made up of mostly girls from a WAFL woman's side. Some are state players who really know how to play.

I'm amazed at their skills and their enthusiasm for the game.

Great work by the EFC getting involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great news. Atleast now my decision on which women's AFL to follow is now automatic.

The biggest thing the AFL will need to do is make the woman's a genuine AFL and not appear to be doing it for the sake of doing it.

If it is to work, curtain raisers will need to be played, broadcasting of these games will need to be done, the coverage the men's game gets will need to be of the same calibre for the woman's.

The AFL can't half arse this if it wants to get it up and going right from the get go.

If the AFL did things to pay respects to those who have helped the game, and not to make money, Tassie would have had a team a long time ago.

They'll be doing it for the same reason they do anything - they think they can make a buck out of it.

So true

If the AFL did things to pay respects to those who have helped the game, and not to make money, Tassie would have had a team a long time ago.

As is this

Pretty exciting news - i would definitely watch. If Essendon don't get a side I would probably follow a WA side.
Plus red and black have always been the best colours and i can't help but think that women will fill it out much nicer than the men.

I'm certainly interested in the concept but I wonder if there's enough talent to substantiate more than a few sides at best - otherwise this could end up as a mediocre trial.

Affiliated clubs like Charlton FC tried to attach to a club name previously - where it bleed the club of money trying to make it work. Being Aussie Rules based the market is OK - but if only one team is serious in supporting the concept, it won't get too far off the ground at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back