Universal Love Classic Cats Matches - 186

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very hard to underestimate how vital a win this game was, not just to the club, but to the mental health of so many of us.

Personally, a loss would have all but seen me off to basket-weaving classes.
Arguably it was THE most important turning point for GFC.

A loss would have perpetuated the belief that some clubs were simply never destined to win a premiership again.

Thanks TurtleBots certainly brings back the gutchurning moments of the last 1/4. The person that I was with sat for minutes after the siren with head in hands not game enough to believe that we had won.
We were terrific and the last five minutes could have ben different if Bartel and Kelly had go those frees(even the commentators named them), Rocca had not became 'injured', Johnson hadn't been slung to the ground and G Ablett not flattened in the middle.
Still we won and as they say the rest is history.

when Ablett kicked that goal, I think it was the first time I felt like he could do what his father could do and win games off their own boot. There were always flashes he had that rare quality but this was the game and match winning goal which began the rise.

I just watched that 4 times. How massive was ottens effort to get into position when he was easily a step out of position?

I was almost sick watching the last 1/4. And the last 5 minutes I was so nervous that I just paced up and down in the lounge room drinking heaps of water. I was too nervous to sit down and had visions of Geelong throwing the game away in the style of 2005 semi final against the Swans.

You have no idea (maybe you do) how relieved I was when that final siren sounded.

I remember the huge crowd, dominated of course by Collingwood fans (was this the night they locked out MCC members because they thought the members area was over-capacity, causing huge furore amongst the elites?). When Collingwood started coming back, their roar picked up, and just the sound of the stadium full of Collingwood chanting added to the feeling of the Collingwood wave overtaking us.

Even though Geelong was dominant throughout the night, we just couldn't seem to shake Collingwood. And given our previous history of grand final failures, there was a horrible feeling that the Pies might roll over the top of us in the last quarter, despite our superiority.

But Ottens' around-the-ground dominance, Ablett's match-winning goal, and Jimmy Bartel's work around the stoppages at the end, to negate any final chance of Collingwood scoring, were what got us over the line.

I've never been more ecstatic at a game than when the final siren went, all the Geelong fans leapt to their feet, I had tears in my eyes, and hugged the random Cats fan next to me. Such a combination of relief and pleasure, and much more emotion than at the grand final the following week.

An epic encounter, and in some ways it made our ultimate victory even better, showing that we could guts out a close match as well as belting opponents off the ground.

Would have been a tragedy had we not won that night. The best side all year, by a mile, yet fell in against a bunch of honest toilers, and that's what they were that year.

Was nervous all week and despite their extra time win the week before, all the talk was how they can beat us and it did get to me - the night was hell and not in the least enjoyable. It was one of the worst I've experienced, and the outpouring of emotion at the final siren was sheer relief. I can recall a Cat fan sitting in front of me basically trembling in shock/relief for minutes after the final siren.

Grand Final week was the complete opposite, nice and relaxed, and on game day, I had to remind myself we were playing in the GF that day, I was that calm. Must have known something. ;)

I was there, what a game to start our monentous week. Myself and three other mates drove over to melbs from mount gambier to watch it two of us cat's supporters, the other two were neutral.
The atmosphere was huge, we were all standing rm down the punt rd end. It was unforgettable

It's curious - but not in the least surprising - that although the 2010 Prelim final continues to be spoken about, very little is mentioned of the previous year's game. Especially considering we won by a mere 73 points.
I have re-watched the 09 game before and it was like there was zero atmosphere. Could be because we were flogging them or the Channel 10 mics were inadequate.

I remember Jimmy winning or at least halving a contest on the wing when out numbered and against quicker opponents... you forget how bloody good he was that year.

All night I felt we were in control, we just couldn't shake them. I had a house full of Cats mates and we had a projector screen organised (ready for the grand final)

The relief then joy on the siren, we all ended up on our front porch, no one able to stand or sit still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If i remember correctly, i don't think either team kicked more than 3 goals in a row all night.

Having never watched it I'm only going by what i could hear on the radio at work

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Was nervous all week and despite their extra time win the week before, all the talk was how they can beat us and it did get to me - the night was hell and not in the least enjoyable. It was one of the worst I've experienced, and the outpouring of emotion at the final siren was sheer relief. I can recall a Cat fan sitting in front of me basically trembling in shock/relief for minutes after the final siren.
;)

Might have been me, might have been anyone of us.

My girlfriend at the time had to stick a pacifier in my mouth, change my pants and throw a blanket over me after the game to stop the hyperventilating.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why she left me...:oops:

If the umpire hadn't payed Rocca the softest free kick payed all night it wouldn't have been as close in the end anyway

The one against Byrnes a little earlier, when he had broken free and was off was softer I reckon. Terrible decision given the context of the game....

Not related to the OP, but your post reminded me - in 1994 I took my then 4 year old daughter to see the great Gary Ablett Senior play on the MCG so she could one day say, "I saw him play". Sadly, she has no clear memory of the day even though I do!
Haha think I took my nephew ( Collingwood supporter) to one of them -Ablett flogged Richmond! Still remember it.

Great game. We had the nervous nellies. If we had faced the Pies a week later when we actually turned up with our A+ game, it would not have been pretty either. Correct result but it was tough getting there, being there and exhilarating.

I had a ticket to go to the game but decided to go to my university formal instead. I thought with the frame of mind, "football is just a game you can't miss out on lifes opportunities". Stupid decision.

I spent the whole night in a side room watching the game by myself until 3 quarter time when I left the event and went pacing the streets cause I couldn't handle it anymore.

Asked my oldman who was at the game to text me when it was over. Was just a wasted night, I didn't really attend the formal and missed out on going to the game.

Not sure if others have mentioned this but there was a lock out. Not sure if the whole ground or just the MCC Members. Anyway, I went with a mate who follows Collingwood. We got there mid afternoon, lined up for the Members to open and managed to get front row seats on the Balcony (overlooking the wing).

As many will know, once you are assigned a seat in the Members you are given a ticket with your seat number so you can leave the stand or even the ground. Our plan was to grab a meal in Richmond to kill time. After a few beers we decided not to leave the MCG, even though it wasn't yet 5.00pm! Best move ever. Ground staff panicked with the masses of people trying to get in and implemented a complete lock out. Anyone who left the MCG could not get back in. Not sure if they were able to get back in later or if that was it. Anyway it all added to the drama.

Not sure if others have mentioned this but there was a lock out. Not sure if the whole ground or just the MCC Members. Anyway, I went with a mate who follows Collingwood. We got there mid afternoon, lined up for the Members to open and managed to get front row seats on the Balcony (overlooking the wing).

As many will know, once you are assigned a seat in the Members you are given a ticket with your seat number so you can leave the stand or even the ground. Our plan was to grab a meal in Richmond to kill time. After a few beers we decided not to leave the MCG, even though it wasn't yet 5.00pm! Best move ever. Ground staff panicked with the masses of people trying to get in and implemented a complete lock out. Anyone who left the MCG could not get back in. Not sure if they were able to get back in later or if that was it. Anyway it all added to the drama.
It was in the MCC Members only (the only place with 'walk up' seating during a final) and it was the first time since the redevelopment that the capacity was reached.

I don't think anyone panicked, but the problem was that the newish (at the time) passout system of scanning in and out (rather than paper pass outs) did not accommodate for those who had already been in and then left.

It was in the MCC Members only (the only place with 'walk up' seating during a final) and it was the first time since the redevelopment that the capacity was reached.

I don't think anyone panicked, but the problem was that the newish (at the time) passout system of scanning in and out (rather than paper pass outs) did not accommodate for those who had already been in and then left.
Panic is a strong word. But a work colleague of mine left with a pass-out and was refused re-entry despite all his stuff being left behind on the seating

Panic is a strong word. But a work colleague of mine left with a pass-out and was refused re-entry despite all his stuff being left behind on the seating
The new system had never been tested for a capacity crowd in the Members. That was the problem.

I feel it would also be remiss of me to forget to mention the early contribution of Stokes in this game as well.

Kicked 3 in the first quarter if I remember correctly and in the context of the game his opening was really important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back