The Syrian War

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Syria discussion and stuff in here. Sick of using the old 2012 thread.

Start with this footage of the Russians using advanced fuel-air explosive tipped rockets against rebel positions in Latakia.

You would not want to be anywhere near those things landing, they incinerate people.

The Battle for Aleppo going to reach the climactic phase in next few days - how long that lasts for remains to be seen - but the smart money would be on the joint SAA/Iranian/Hezbollah ground forces with massively effective Russian close air support taking the day.

For the Russians, this is a re-run of the Battle of Grozny in 99/00. The urban siege as winter falls.

If the regime forces can break the Jabhat and Ahrar Al Sham units in Aleppo and further north, then they can reach the border and cut their supply lines from Turkey.

Very hard to come back from that.

Mainstream media currently ignoring the mass protests in London over bombing Syria.

12313632_10201168707935731_2529237757729074287_n.jpg

12314137_10201168707095710_3407617073761096627_n.jpg

12311266_10201168705735676_4601769056287889608_n.jpg

12321634_10201168706575697_2899670432227601525_n.jpg

http://act.stopwar.org.uk/lobby/stopbombingsyria

Christ, I remember the massive anti Iraq War rally in London.

Makes sense why mainstream media is ignoring this.

12309915_484215365101068_4399256541746878120_o.png

There's that but far more prosaically, war sells papers and the Brits have always been susceptible to press and war mixing up.

The English did invent modern media culture.

There's an iconic photo of a paperboy selling the Evening Standard (I think) which has the "score" from that day in the Battle of Britain as St Paul's burns behind him.

There's that but far more prosaically, war sells papers and the Brits have always been susceptible to press and war mixing up.

The English did invent modern media culture.

There's an iconic photo of a paperboy selling the Evening Standard (I think) which has the "score" from that day in the Battle of Britain as St Paul's burns behind him.

I remember seeing that when i studied that battle extensively (ex douglas bader tragic)

There's also the bit Murdoch and his fox news are ignoring the theft of syrian oil by groups armed by Americans and poms and transporting the oil threw a nato country.

There's also the Murdoch press here, they're not making money out the war by selling newspapers, but they still push the same line and still actively hide the facts.

I remember seeing that when i studied that battle extensively (ex douglas bader tragic)

There's also the bit Murdoch and his fox news are ignoring the theft of syrian oil by groups armed by Americans and poms and transporting the oil threw a nato country.

There's also the Murdoch press here, they're not making money out the war by selling newspapers, but they still push the same line and still actively hide the facts.

Old Stumpy eh.

Old Stumpy eh.

How romantic was the duxford wing?

If only someone told him of the thousands of Russian fighters being assembled on the German borders , which limited what the Luftwaffe could throw at knocking England out the war.

How romantic was the duxford wing?

If only someone told him of the thousands of Russian fighters being assembled on the German borders , which limited what the Luftwaffe could throw at knocking England out the war.

Yeah. I actually had this conversation with my old boss in Brussels. War is never romantic - and he'd seen a fair bit of it and I've had my encounters in various ways - and I'm sure being ripped apart by 20mm cannon shells, or watching your mate explode in a ball of flames was horrific, but there is something supremely attractive, real knights of the air stuff, about the Battle Of Britain.

My granddad flew in Bomber Command, got shot down over Belgium. When I was there I got in contact with a dude who lived near where his plane crashed. The dude took me to the site, and I actually found a bit of the old bloke's plane, which is kind of astounding.

The Battle for Aleppo going to reach the climactic phase in next few days - how long that lasts for remains to be seen - but the smart money would be on the joint SAA/Iranian/Hezbollah ground forces with massively effective Russian close air support taking the day.

For the Russians, this is a re-run of the Battle of Grozny in 99/00. The urban siege as winter falls.

If the regime forces can break the Jabhat and Ahrar Al Sham units in Aleppo and further north, then they can reach the border and cut their supply lines from Turkey.

Very hard to come back from that.
they razed grozny tho didnt they?

russians are a fan of sieges. quite versed in the modern day iteration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Grozny is now rebuilt and booming.

Great photo that, taken from a roof from Fleet Street I think. St Pauls didn't burn though (couple of minor flare ups aside). Everything around it got nailed though.

Konigsberg. Two thirds of stuff all there now apparently.

Da'esh is anti-Assad in theory but not so much in practice.

Assad himself loves Da'esh.

That's why he laid out the welcome mat for them and made their growth very easy.

He loves the opportunity they present. He has no love for their ideology, as far as I know.
Assad was complaining the moment the americans transferred isis and thier heavy weapons from Libya to turkey after ghaddaffi was murdered (most likely the french). He has been has been saying that you are nuts supporting these people and it will comeback to bite you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back