Should Port Adelaide, Bulldogs, MFC and Stk be allowed Top Up players

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know. The decision to ban Essendon from finals which bought Carlton into the 8 who beat you was pretty good also.
When was that, 2013? Looks like we have to wait another 2.5 years for the next good AFL decision.

You could say the same about Ports depth its not great by any stretch but it's something. Port have Frampton, who like Obrien is far from ready; plus the occasional rucks of Westoff, Dixon and Trengove. Lets face it both teams now have there eggs in one basket in lobbe and Jacobs
Please. Obrien is far more ready than Frampton. And you cant compare part time rucks with actual rucks like Hunter and Lowden. We have some ruck depth, you dont. So no, you cant exactly say you have some.

O'brien looks like a good player. We won't know if he can cut it in the afl until Jacobs gets injured. One thing we shouldn't have to worry about is losing him for 12 months for having illegal injections. At the moment we have more players that play ruck on our list so we actually have more depth than the power
OK, I can see why as a crow supporter you would be taking the high moral ground, what with you history of strictly adhering to the AFL Rules. As a Port supporter I would like to apologise to Gus and Paddy for giving you illegal injections.

"It wasn't us. It was them. It was the Warriors" (Essendon). Essendon shot Cyrus, not Port Drewie.

Port were the only team that didn't plan ahead. They had how many picks in last year's draft...you don't think it MIGHT be a wise idea to at least rookie pick a ruckman and/or small forward? That is beyond poor management!

Please. Obrien is far more ready than Frampton. And you cant compare part time rucks with actual rucks like Hunter and Lowden. We have some ruck depth, you dont. So no, you cant exactly say you have some.
"Please", does your ruck depth have a combined 1 game experience. If so yes I agree that is one more game than Ports ruck depth experience. Only a crow supporter would garner any excitement from the names your rattling of. The rest of us haven't even heard of these other blokes.

Port should be directing their anger at their list manager, not the AFL. Draft a ruckman, it isn't hard. Most clubs have a bare minimum of 3 on a list + 2 others that can chop out.

Port should be directing their anger at their list manager, not the AFL. Draft a ruckman, it isn't hard. Most clubs have a bare minimum of 3 on a list + 2 others that can chop out.
That's exactly what Port have. But if their number 3 is a kid then they really only have 2, which again is not that uncommon.

Of course they'll be regretting not having that 3rd mature back up.

That's exactly what Port have. But if their number 3 is a kid then they really only have 2, which again is not that uncommon.

Then they should have drafted a mature aged one with a rookie. Zero sympathy when it is your list manager's fault for this mess. They knew the risks with Ryder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timing and how long it took was dreadful. I can only imagine if this was a major US sport, can't see them taking a month to come to a decision on top ups, and even consulting other clubs for a decision that impacts one club (which only ever happens if a team is being relocated or having a new name/mascot)
Hey bro, 3 other clubs had players who were suspended as well. Universe doesn't revolve around Port. :)

by a few injuries you mean, 12. more than the amount of players they have been granted. the AFL could have stood back and said we will grant you top ups when you cant field a side, which is what the rule was designed for. not granting top ups because a side doped

so if a club has 10 LTI's should they be granted top up players? and this is the issue the AFL have created for them selves now

suddenly there is a number on the amount of players you are missing that will give people a precedent on when you can call for top ups

atleast in this situation essendon were in control of their fate. they could have not run this program to begin with or turned over the list more for players that would not be subjected to a ban

clubs that have LTI's do not foresee them occurring

i'd love to know what the AFL would get sued for also...
32 players and digging them out of the VFL at random when that number gets below 22 is not fair on the existing non cheating players.

It means no VFL side, no numbers for training, no senior bodies, pressure to play players who aren't 100% and injury risks.

If an AFL team ever had 12 season long injuries at the start of preseason then I'd be all for giving them top ups.

The simplest way to make sure the season is fair on the innocent players and coaches at Essendon is to give them a decent squad and to do it at the start of the year. Plucking players out mid season would not be good for anyone. I probably would've stopped at 8 top ups not 10, but what does it really matter? The more games they want to give retired old players instead of their kids the better. If the win (and being a pessimist I'll give them a chance against Melbourne) they'll have deserved it.

Essendon have 39 Senior Players, 37 with 12 players out and 10 top ups in
Port Adelaide have 39 Senior Players, 37 with Monfries and Ryder out
Melbourne have 39 Senior Players, 38 with Melkshem out
St Kilda have 39 Senior Players, 38 with Carlisle out
Bulldogs have 40 Senior Players, 39 with Crameri out
West Coast have 38 Senior Players, 37 with Cavka retired

Last edited:

They let a mature aged ruckman go at the end of 2015 in Jarrad Redden, who was 25 years old.

With question marks on Ryder's playing ability in 2016, that may not have been the best move for them

How many teams have 4 ruckmen with all the changes to the interchange? You can't just magically pluck an AFL std ruck the first year it has gone back to a 4 man bench. It kind of makes a mockery of everyone saying we should trade Lobbe, and everyone saying we were too tall by recruiting Dixon. All of a sudden, we're mugs for not having enough talls. Do you think Adelaide would be remotely competitive if Sam Jacobs was out for the season? More to the point, do you think you would be competitive if both Jacobs and Jenkins were out? Life moves on if Lobbe is fit for 90% of the season. If he goes down early we have a choice of exposing a 2nd year ruckman all season as 1st ruck, playing 2 guys who have stuffed ankles as first ruck or play Westhoff and get smashed all year. We get it, you're the across town mob that hate us so much you all cheered when Jackson Trengove did his ankle in your home 2014 Showdown and booed Schulz when he almost lost an eye. Logic when it comes to talking about Port Adelaide doesn't run strong with you, but the fact that almost every poster thinks it is bullshit tends to suggests that you're wrong.
Are you comparing Jenkins to Monfries? Not comparable at all, sorry.

He was cooked.

Remember Max Bailey? Redden's body is far worse off than Bailey's.
Oh was he? Alright in that case. Given that there was a good chance WADA's appeal would have been successful, I would have at least replaced him with another ruckman as a "just in case"- even if the ruckman isn't a spectacular player. Good list management would be to preempt situation like this

Oh was he? Alright in that case. Given that there was a good chance WADA's appeal would have been successful, I would have at least replaced him with another ruckman as a "just in case"- even if the ruckman isn't a spectacular player. Good list management would be to preempt situation like this
There was no AFL standard 'just in case' players under the age of 30, and list managers are never going to recruit a player over 30 for just 1 year of work. No player (especially living interstate) would accept it.

There was no AFL standard 'just in case' players under the age of 30, and list managers are never going to recruit a player over 30 for just 1 year of work. No player (especially living interstate) would accept it.
In hindsight that makes it a pretty stupid decision to pick up Ryder then doesn't it?

Can't you just rookie a ruckman? Many of those delisted players would love their hands on a second chance. You don't need a great ruckman in Port's case as Lobbe was fine pre-Ryder days. Someone like Ayce Cordy would have been fine IMO.
Also, you don't need to do it for "just in case". You can just get them and keep them on your list.

But I did hear Port's salary cap was a little tight so I am not sure if they'd want to get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back