Roast What the hell is our President doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
It make me sick every time I see another news release with our president and the whole sorry saga.

Former Essendon Bomber Nathan Lovett-Murray to appeal drug ban to Swiss authorities

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/6822566fb95fdc1e3e6b9d9d03749e5a

And Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon, a prominent lawyer whose son Patrick is one of the leading lawyers involved, told ABC radio the appeal would likely be on the grounds that CAS went beyond its legal scope in hearing the case from scratch.

“I think … the most substantial ground of the appeal is that the Court of Arbitration for Sport made an error in conducting the appeal as a fresh hearing,” Gordon said.

“What they really should have done is examine the AFL tribunal decision for a legal error.”

Gordon said he believed some players would join the appeal — to be heard in either German of French — while others “are sick of it and want it to go away”.
His son is a key lawyer in the appeal. At best, that makes Peter conflicted and at worst there is some nepotism involved. The whole thing stinks.

How do I best express my opinion to Peter Gordon, that he should shut the hell up about Essendon and CAS and appeals?

Peter has done great things in his time as president, but this is beginning to change my views on his approach to the WB presidency.

Last edited:
Big Deal, Doesn't involve us

This is to do with Peter Gordon the lawyer, not Peter Gordon the Western Bulldogs President. Let him be, if there's any conflict of interest that comes up as President I'm sure it would be only his company dealing with it rather than having him involved

Relying on technical legal errors smacks of desperation

Hird should really say enough is enough nough and accept some responsibility

His son is a key lawyer in the appeal. At best, that makes Peter conflicted and at worst there is some nepotism involved. The whole thing stinks

Conflicted between what? Wanting his son to win for his son, and wanting his son to win for Crameri & Prismall?

It make me sick every time I see another news release with our president and the whole sorry saga.

How do I best express my opinion to Peter Gordon, that he should shut the hell up about Essendon and CAS and appeals?

Peter has done great things in his time as president, but this is beginning to change my views on his approach to the WB presidency.
Why not send him an email? You are entitled to your viewpoint, just as he is entitled to his.

My take on it is that Peter is a man who has passionate views on a number of things (thankfully two of those are the WB and the need for a fair go). When he gets fired up about something he doesn't just sit on his hands or post on the social media, he actually does something constructive. That's why we love him.

It just happens that his view on this is different to the view that some of us hold. More power to him, I say. He has become the icon he is by standing up for the underdog, very often when he has been in the minority.

Conflicted between what? Wanting his son to win for his son, and wanting his son to win for Crameri & Prismall?
Between solely representing the interest of our club and the being seen to represent the interests of another club.

Why not send him an email? You are entitled to your viewpoint, just as he is entitled to his.
Will probably happen, but not on a Friday night after a long week at work.

I totally disagree with this thread

PG is doing what good leaders of sporting organizations do
he is getting involved, he is active, he is investing time and money
he is raising his profile, and that of the club's in the sporting community
whether you like it or not, he is growing the brand

maybe next time gill needs an opinion on equalization or budget injections
he will have PG in his ear, rather than the TV trash presidents at collingwood or port.
gill might owe us one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Gordon is fighting for justice. As he should. If he believes there has been a miscarriage of justice and that the players are just not guilty, then hats off to him for fighting for what he believes in.

Disagree. He is arguing a side that represents his sons clients position. No one is fighting for justice a la Erin Brokovich here. "Justice" has been decided upon. Further legal argument is just poking at holes in the process at this point. Still has its place but its legal posturing not Robin Hood fighting for the poor....

Peter Gordon is fighting for justice. As he should. If he believes there has been a miscarriage of justice and that the players are just not guilty, then hats off to him for fighting for what he believes in.
Justice has already been served. Gordo should be starting a class action lawsuit against Essendon rather than trying to get the rightful result reversed on a technicality.

The problem is not that Pete is involved, it's that he gets involved with his Western Bulldogs hat on. So it looks like it's a Western Bulldogs issue, that we are championing the cause, that we were/are involved.

As a club we should distance ourselves as much as possible from this. In his own time, with his son fronting things he can rightly do what he wants, but not as the Western Bulldong president. Fine line maybe, maybe difficult to do, but please let's do all we can so we are not seen to be in the cahoots with ESsendon, it's a really bad look.

I think we have every right to try and protect our interest from the damaged cause by the bombers and the afl
well done to PG and his associates whoever they be
any action is better than no action at this point

The problem is not that Pete is involved, it's that he gets involved with his Western Bulldogs hat on. So it looks like it's a Western Bulldogs issue, that we are championing the cause, that we were/are involved.

As a club we should distance ourselves as much as possible from this. In his own time, with his son fronting things he can rightly do what he wants, but not as the Western Bulldong president. Fine line maybe, maybe difficult to do, but please let's do all we can so we are not seen to be in the cahoots with ESsendon, it's a really bad look.
Would argue that it is a WB issue as two of the players involved are employed/contracted to the Western Bulldogs Brand.

Agree with this. I couldn't think of a worse mob to align myself with (or be perceived to be aligned with) than Essendon

There are bigger injustices in footy that drug cheats getting suspended (and only half the suspension they deserve)

Justice has already been served. Gordo should be starting a class action lawsuit against Essendon rather than trying to get the rightful result reversed on a technicality.

Agree on the part about technicality.

But I agree with pg on the point that you cannot throw a blanket over all 34. Some of them like Lovett Murray questioned doc Reid about the program. He didn't get a discount because the action of all the others affected him.

The cas findings also bagged players for not declaring thymodulin in their tests that year. If that's what they thought they were given they should have told testers. Only 8 players were tested during the year and 3 were not in the supplement program. So cas punished all 34 removing discounts based on the action of 5.

I have read the 40 pages and no doubt I would have had comfortable satisfaction - but thought cas were way too tough with their findings about players hiding the truth and should have applied better discounts to charges considering they only heard evidence from 8 players and my other points mentioned above.

That's not going to hep the appeal though being heard in 12 months after suspensions have been served

Remove this Banner Ad

Back