List Mgmt. 2016 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Here we go again another year, another round of bigfooty BS, 'inside sources', my mate who is x players cousin said, etc.

Lets try to keep all the information in here and I will update this OP over the course of the year with relevant changes.

Players out of contract at the end of season 2016:

leon-cameron.jpg

Who will choose to stay loyal to Leon and the Greater Western Sydney Giants?

Senior List
Lachie Whitfield - Re-Signed until 2018 (2 years)
#08 Callan Ward (Co-Captain) - Re-signed until 2021 (5 years)
#11 Jack Steele - traded to st kilda
#17 Steve Johnson - Re-Signed until 2017 (1 year)
#24 Joel Patfull - retired
#26 Dawson Simpson - Re-Signed until 2017 (1 year)
#28 Jake Barrett - delisted
#34 Caleb Marchbank - traded to Carlton
#36 James Stewart - traded to Essendon
#39 Tim Mohr - Re-Signed until 2018 (2 years)
#41 Shane Mumford Re-Signed until 2018 (2 years)
#42 Patrick Mckenna - traded to Melbourne
#44 Tom Downie - Re-Signed until 2018 (2 years)
Rookie List
Daniel Lloyd - retained
#50 Sam Reid - retained

Top academy prospects for 2016 Draft

AcademyKids-Article.jpg

Kobe Mutch, Zach Sproule, Will Setterfield and Harrison Macreadie enjoyed their taste of the life of a professional footballer

writeups courtesy of Grundog49

Harrison Macreadie
GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Key Defender
Height: 195 cm Weight: 82 kg D.O.B: 11/4/98

Far and away the best Key Defender of next year's AFL draft. Harrison Macreadie is a rebounding key defender in the Tom McDonald mould who has impressed at both TAC Cup and u18 Championships level. This year his draft stocks have skyrocketed to become a potential top five candidate. This has no doubt to be caused by his TAC cup form which earned him three morrish medal votes, third in the NSW-ACT side. He was skillful, speedy and jaw dropping the way he went about his football. This was no different in the u18 Championships where he was a candidate for the u18 All Australian side and if not for Kieran Collins and Jacob Weitering probably would have been selected. He was selling candy, penetrating his kicks and creating run from the back half, something the NSW-ACT side lacked. He averaged 13 disposals, three marks, one inside 50 at an elite 81% efficiency during the Carnival. The thing that makes Harrison Macreadie so good in my opinion is his mobility. At 195 cm he’s the tallest key position player in the AIS AFL Academy and he moves like a wingman. In fact at times has made runs like one during the year. This is so prominent he has drawn comparisons to running key defender Tom McDonald from the Melbourne Football Club. Harry is also extremely composed in traffic. At times during the year he looks like the play slows down, allowing for Harry to deliver the football to his teammates. He dodges tackles using his strong core and uses his height allowing him to get loose in tackles and deliver to his outside runners by hand. Harrison as a prospect is extremely solid and doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses. The thing I would like to see from Harrison Macreadie is to go forward in stints. This year we saw both Kieran Collins, Jacob Weitering and Ben McKay go forward at times, switching from there key position posts. If Harrison Macreadie can go forward and use his clearly dominant athletic traits then I think he could cement himself as one of the best players at the draft. Although Harry has many fans, he will be a Giant no doubt and won’t they be happy to have him on board out west.

Kobe Mutch

Bendigo Pioneers/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Small Utility
Height: 184 cm Weight: 75 kg D.O.B: 18/3/98

As one Kobe retires, another one emerges. Although he doesn’t play basketball, he should be in the spotlight for next year's AFL draft. Kobe Mutch is a clean kicking small utility from Gol Gol who has relocated to play footy for the Bendigo Pioneers. He played mainly as a small defender and wingman for the pioneers and was one of their clear standouts as a bottom ager. He was composed and clean, something the Bendigo Pioneers have lacked all year. He averaged 18 disposals, five handball receives and an elite five marks per game. This impressive form translated very well to the u18 Championships where he was played as a high half-forward and half back. This is because of the lack of classy ball users in the NSW-ACT side and because of how proficient he is on both sides of the body. He averaged 16 disposals, 11 uncontested possessions and six marks per game. Those numbers are a testament to his high work rate to get around the ground and create run for his side. Kobe best trait I feel is his versatility. He can play practically everywhere on the ground. In defence he provides a good kick and run as well as an ability to stop his opponents. In the midfield he creates forward plays which make most opposition back off from him then as a forward he provides some real x-factor in the way he plays. In every position you put you feel he makes a big impact. Mutch also has an extremely high work rate. In both the TAC cup and u18 Championships he averaged elite numbers for uncontested marks and uncontested possesions, a hallmark of every good wingman. He also has good handball receive numbers for a player of his type. Kobe big issue is his muscle mass. Kobe looks like a twelve year old at times in the TAC Cup and at the u18 Carnival. This will obviously improve with time in the gym but you would like to see him play games earlier. Kobe is one of only a few small utilities who can make a great impact all around the ground.

William Setterfield
Sandringham Dragons/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Balanced Midfielder
Height: 189 cm Weight: 73 kg D.O.B: 5/2/98

Caulfield Grammar have done well to hide this kid. William Setterfield is a tall midfielder who can play both on the inside and outside. This year Will played only four games at rep level, making him very unknown compared to the other GWS Academy players. He started his year by playing in New Zealand for the u17 AIS AFL Academy team. He played as an inside midfielder and used his height in a Scott Pendlebury type role for the Academy. At the u18 Championships he was used in a different role, on a wing. He was smooth, clean and ran his opponent into the ground. In the first game he gathered an outstanding 20 disposals, three marks and four inside 50’s against a strong Tasmania side. This was just a glimpse of what he could do but it was enough to keep him in the side for the rest of the carnival. In the next two games he was less impressive with 15 and 4 disposals in his next two games. He averaged 13 disposals, three marks, four inside 50’s and one goal assist per game. Setterfield’s best tool is probably is his kicking going inside 50. In multiple occasions I’ve seen Setterfield set up his teammates to perfection with excellent delivery to his forwards. This evident from his inside 50 numbers which are elite. He also has one of the highest ceilings in the draft. His body is extremely skinny and for a kid to cut games up like he has makes me think he could become a very good prospect in the future. If he can beef up I would think he plays as an inside midfielder full time. Setterfield does just lack that elite trait. That thing that makes him special. At the moment that's the difference from him going inside the top 20 to going in the third round. If he can add a standout trait to his bow we could expect a splash for Setterfield next year. Willy Setterfield is your classic tall wingman who runs games forward, if he can fulfill his potential or add another string to his bow then watch out.

Zach Sproule
Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Key Forward
Height: 193 cm Weight: 81 cm D.O.B: 12/5/98

The marque Key Forward in next year's draft. Zach Sproule is a lead up key forward who has the runs on the board. This year Zach Sproule has played in both the u18 and in the TAC cup where he played for the Murray Bushrangers where he partnered up with star Key Forward Josh Schache. He averaged 11 disposals, five marks and two goals a game. In fact he kicked two bags of five in consecutive weeks. He also averaged the most goals of any Murray player besides Josh Schache. At the u18 Championships though he was less impactful on the scoreboard, but more prolific in the marking. He averaged seven disposals, four marks, two inside 50’s and one goal a game as a foil to Harrison Himmelberg. Although these numbers are good, the thing that makes me think he can become a handy player at AFL level is his contested marking numbers. He averaged one contested mark for the tournament, the third most of any player who has played three or more games at the carnival. The biggest strength Sproule has is his ability to cover the ground. He is a true centre half-forward in the sense that he is a linkup man. I’m sure if you looked at his GPS numbers, they would be up there with the best for a key forward. Sproule also has some extremely hands for a key forward. On lots of occasions this year Sproule has at least gotten hands to the ball, if not mark it. This is evident from his marking stats which are some of the best for a player at his age. In fact Sam Weideman, who went top ten, at the same age averaged less marks then Zach. Sproule doesn’t have many big problems in his game but he doesn’t chase defenders at times. This can be a problem because it makes things harder for players in the midfield and defenders. Zach Sproule is one of the best Key Forwards of the draft and it's clear to see why.

Connor Byrne

North Ballarat Rebels/GWS Academy/NSW-ACT
Balanced Midfielder/Small Defender
Height: 182 cm Weight: 70 kg D.O.B: 16/6/98

Damaging is an understatement when you’re talking about this lad. Connor Byrne is a damaging midfielder who can play as a small defender. Last year Connor Byrne was playing for NSW-ACT where he won their MVP award for his standout u16 Championships. Even though he was their most dominant midfielder he wasn’t selected into the AIS Academy. This lead him to follow the footsteps of Jacob Hopper to move to Ballarat to try to gather more exposure. At TAC cup level he played for the North Ballarat Rebels and was one of there best underage prospects. He averaged 15 disposals, four marks, three tackles and four handball receives. This statline isn’t as flattering as many others at his age but you only need to look at his stats from his first seven games to see why he rated so highly. He averaged 18 disposals, six handball receives, four marks and three tackles. This got him a call up to the NSW-ACT state team. He played all three games and showed that he can keep up with the best. He averaged 11 disposals, five tackles and one inside 50 per game. His best game came in the first round when he had 16 disposals, three marks, six tackles and two inside 50’s. He was clean below his knees, explosive through stoppages and create space for his teammates, rare traits for a bottom ager. Connor’s best attribute is his ability to cut games up. Byrne is probably the most damaging player in the draft because of how much he influences games with his great disposal. This was apparent in the first game of the TAC cup finals where he had 11 disposals at 100% efficiency and kicked the match winning goal for the Rebels. Connor just doesn’t waste any of his disposals. Connor’s also has elite endurance. Connor runs out games extremely well and makes opposition follow him around all game. This evident from his beep test which was at 15.6, a score which would put him second in testing at the AFL Combine. Connor’s biggest concern is his accumulation. Byrne at the moment doesn’t gather disposal like other players and will put down the order due to this fact. If he could gather more disposals we could see him play somewhat like a Callum Mills from the Swans. Connor Byrne has all the skill in the world and if he can gather more disposals watch out.

Current draft selections held by GWS for 2016 draft

GubbyUpdateSLIDER.jpg

After engineering these trades Gubby is savant!!!!!!!!!

Round 1:

Original round 1 draft pick
Tied to GWS ladder position(#15)

Extra round 1 draft pick (received from Brisbane via 2016 pick exchange)
Tied to Brisbane ladder position(#2)

Round 2:
Original round 2 draft pick
Tied to GWS ladder position

Extra round 2 draft pick (received from Sydney via 2016 pick exchange)
Tied to Sydney ladder position(#39)

Round 3:
Original round 3 draft pick

Extra round 3 draft pick (received from Carlton as part of Caleb Marchbank/Jarrod Pickett trade)
Tied to Carlton ladder postion(#45)

Extra round 3 draft pick (received from Sydney Swans in a pick exchange; received by Sydney Swans from Hawthorn as part of Tom Mitchell trade; originally received by Hawthorn from West Coast as part of Sam Mitchell trade)
Tied to west coast ladder position(#52)

Extra round 3 draft pick (received from Melbourne as part of Pat McKenna trade; received by Melbourne from Hawthorn as part of the Jordan Lewis trade; received by Hawthorn from Sydney Swans as part of Tom Mitchell trade)
Tied to Sydney ladder position(#57)

Extra round 3 draft pick (received from Carlton as part of Caleb Marchbank/Jarrod Pickett trade; received by Carlton from Western Bulldogs via a 2015 pick exchange)
Tied to bulldogs ladder position(#58)

Round 4:
Extra round 4 draft pick (received from Melbourne as part of Pat McKenna trade; received by Melbourne from Essendon as part of the Michael Hibberd trade)
Tied to Essendon ladder position(#59)

Extra round 4 draft pick Greater Western Sydney (received from Brisbane Lions via a 2016 pick exchange)
Tied to Brisbane ladder position(#60)

Round 5:
Extra round 5 draft pick (received from Essendon for James Stewart)
Tied to Essendon ladder position(#77) expect to get points from this pick as it moves up the ladder after bidding

Round 6:
Original round 6 draft pick

Round 7:
Original round 7 draft pick

Closing message:
Many of us are going to read alot of media spin about the will he/wont he stay arguements and the always enjoyable barrett sliding doors BS. Not to mention the countless Bigfooty drivel about how our players are done deals to join opposition clubs in june. How about we reflect on all the players that have chosen to stay loyal despite big money offers to head interstate.

gws team.jpg

BRING ON SEASON 2016!!!!!!!!

Players that have re-signed!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Bumper crop in prospect from Giants academy
Callum Twomey
February 5, 2016 6:58 AM

383851-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Defender Harrison Macreadie's height and position will make him an appealing draft prospect

DRAFT night last year sticks in the mind of Zach Sproule. The teenager sat on his couch at home and watched as Greater Western Sydney used all four of its selections on zone academy players.

It was exciting for Sproule. He had played with Jacob Hopper, Matt Kennedy, Harrison Himmelberg and Matthew Flynn last season as part of the NSW-ACT Rams program and is a member of the Giants' academy this year.

It gave a glimpse into what could happen to the key forward this season if the cards fall his way.

But Sproule also spent much of the night hoping the Giants would use a fifth selection on his close friend Lachlan Tiziani, who was watching the draft around the corner in Albury.

The Giants' recruiting team didn't pick Tiziani, and all clubs in the following week's rookie draft also overlooked him, meaning the Giants academy product experienced the other, often forgotten side of the draft: of a hope being dashed.

It was a reminder of the NAB AFL Draft's dual possibilities, and something Sproule will take with him throughout this season as he aims to end the year on an AFL list.

"It gave me a view of both sides. When I was watching the GWS academy boys getting picked I was definitely thinking it could be me in a year, but it also showed me I've got such a long way to go and need to work on a lot," Sproule said.

"I want to make myself as good as possible."

After the Giants' haul of academy picks last season, the club has another batch of local talent they will have first call on at this year's draft.

Sproule, Harrison Macreadie, Will Setterfield and Kobe Mutch headline the pack, and all are also members of the 34-player NAB AFL Academy, which trained in America in January on a high performance camp.

The quartet presents the Giants – and other clubs weighing up their talent – with different options.

Sproule is a 197cm forward with top-end running capacities – on tour at the IMG Academy in Florida he completed the 3km time trial in 10:18 seconds, beating many of the midfielders.

He has grown since last year and is fitter, too, having torn his meniscus in his knee last year and missed the pre-season.

"It means I should be ready to go in round one this year, which will make a difference I hope," Sproule told AFL.com.au in Florida.

Sproule has known Setterfield for many years, with both growing up in Albury. Setterfield moved to Melbourne in 2014 at the start of year 10 to board at Caulfield Grammar. He was 15 at the time but could see the shift would have its benefits.

"I thought boarding there would be a good opportunity for footy and school. It was a pretty big decision, but I had family in Melbourne and it's been great," said Setterfield, who found a bonus of being in the city meant he could go to AFL games every week and study players from close range.

Harrison Macreadie (21) running the 3km time-trial in Florida. Picture: AFL Media
macreadie_running_620.jpg

Setterfield has also overcome an injury-affected 2015 season to return to full fitness. The athletic and composed wingman had surgery last year to shave off a bone lesion, but it didn't quite correct the problem.

"I had to go through the rehab process twice before it came good, but I've built up my leg in the gym now and I'm back into training," he said.

Like Setterfield, Mutch has already left home to pursue his broader football ambitions. Originally from Broken Hill, he last year moved to Bendigo and lived with a host family while he played with the Pioneers in the TAC Cup.

The lightly framed midfielder has put on eight kilograms since playing in the national carnival for the Rams mid-year, when he faced many division two draftees.

"It was a huge learning curve for me, playing on the likes of Mitchell Hibberd, Kieran Lovell, Ben Keays, Daniel Rioli and guys who are all at AFL clubs now," Mutch said.

"The contested side of the game is probably a weakness for me, so I didn't have much of a choice but to put on some size. I feel like I've got a bit more of a mature body now."

That hasn't been as much of a priority for Macreadie. The key defender, who impressed on tour with his athleticism and awareness in the air, is seen as the most highly rated of the Giants' academy players. And in a draft that looks dominated at the top by midfielders, Macreadie's size and position will make him an appealing prospect for rivals.

Aside from training with the club for two weeks over summer as part of the AFL Academy's program, the crop of possible Giants have had little contact with the club's academy program since their early teens, but fall into the its wide academy zone.

GWS's hold on the Riverina region will likely come under fire from rival clubs again, but the academy prospects are keeping their minds open about their futures.

"I don't think of us look at the year any differently because we're in the Giants academy," Macreadie said. "We're the same as anyone else. We're all just hoping we get drafted by an AFL club. That's the goal."

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Aside from training with the club for two weeks over summer as part of the AFL Academy's program, the crop of possible Giants have had little contact with the club's academy program since their early teens, but fall into the its wide academy zone.

GWS's hold on the Riverina region will likely come under fire from rival clubs again, but the academy prospects are keeping their minds open about their futures.

Thanks for the barbs thrown our way there Cal. Perhaps he's a bit grumpy after the Essendon decision. Another few BF threads will be started or re-opened.

And on a lighter note, any rumours being heard about re-signings? It has been awfully quiet for GWS with a few key signatures to get. Would like to have some locked in before the NAB Challenge commences.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The only certainty to sign is the captain. The biggest flight risk is Caleb. Most of the rest will re-sign. I don't see a Treloar like saga this year.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
My views

Senior List
Lachie Whitfield - will re-sign
#08 Callan Ward - will re-sign
#11 Jack Steele - will re-sign
#17 Steve Johnson - retirement
#24 Joel Patfull - possible retirement
#26 Dawson Simpson - will re-sign
#28 Jake Barrett - may leave for opportunities
#31 Jeremy Finlayson - possible delisting/rookie downgrade
#34 Caleb Marchbank - will re-sign if he gets regular games
#36 James Stewart - depends on sunshine
#39 Tim Mohr - depends on how he returns from injury but could face delisting if corr and marchbank deliver on potential
#41 Shane Mumford - will re-sign
#42 Patrick Mckenna - will receive 2 year extension
#44 Tome Downie - will re-sign

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
My views

Senior List
#17 Steve Johnson - retirement
#24 Joel Patfull - possible retirement
#28 Jake Barrett - may leave for opportunities
#31 Jeremy Finlayson - possible delisting/rookie downgrade
#34 Caleb Marchbank - will re-sign if he gets regular games
#39 Tim Mohr - depends on how he returns from injury but could face delisting if corr and marchbank deliver on potential
#41 Shane Mumford - will re-sign
#42 Patrick Mckenna - will receive 2 year extension
#44 Tome Downie - will re-sign

I think you're underestimating Finlayson. Can play either end and played some excellent games at the back end of the season after hip surgery early. If Marchbank does go, he's the obvious next to step up.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
I think you're underestimating Finlayson. Can play either end and played some excellent games at the back end of the season after hip surgery early. If Marchbank does go, he's the obvious next to step up.
I'm more thinking that we have macreadie and sproule coming in. His spot will be pushed back further because of this.

KPD ahead of him are
Davis
Patfull
Core
Haynes
Marchbank

KPF ahead of him are
Cameron
Patton
Tomlinson
Stewart
McCarthy
Lob

He is a long way back

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Also anyone got any predictions on who we may target from other clubs?

The obvious names in hooker and Hurley come to mind but thinking outside the box there is Schofield from west coast who given that they have Mackenzie and brown back to fitness could see him become expendable. Especially if wce enter the McCarthy negotiations.

However if corr really does step up this year then I can't see any gaping holes in our list. I would be happy with bypassing recruits and pick up all 5 highly rated academy boys.

Would be an amazing achievement if we brought in another 5 NSW/ACT kids on the back of 5 last year in hopper, Kennedy, himmelberg, Flynn and Lloyd. Add Williams, finlayson, Steele, Barrett and Davis. That's nearly half our list !

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
My views

Senior List
#17 Steve Johnson - retirement possibly one more year if he has a good 2016?
Joel Patfull - possible retirement
#28 Jake Barrett - may leave for opportunities particularly if Hopper &/or Kennedy get an early start & go well
Jeremy Finlayson - possible delisting/rookie downgrade possibly, although I would hope we keep on main list & at worst rookie
Caleb Marchbank - will re-sign if he gets regular games
#39 Tim Mohr - depends on how he returns from injury but could face delisting if corr and marchbank deliver on potential I'd hope to keep as a backup
Shane Mumford - will re-sign
#42 Patrick Mckenna - will receive 2 year extension the one kid I'm not too sure on - rookie possibility?
Tome Downie - will re-sign

Thanks Raymann & Cogs_No1. Don't disagree overly much, but a couple of comments against your assessment above.

Obviously a long way out & does depend on who might ask to leave, but what do you think our list approach might be this year? I was a bit surprised we moved on so many last year. In hindsight, was it because of the perceived shallow draft and so clubs were happier to take a punt on our 'underperformers' (some more lacked the chance to show their ability) & give away lower draft picks? Given our list state vs 2017 requirement (42 vs 40-44 senior list) and a deeper draft pool this year, I don't think we'll see that many trades/delistings. 3-6 off and 3-4 on would see us 40-42. I could see us possibly dropping 1 or 2 of those to the rookie list.

I'm thinking that GWS will take 3 or 4 in the 2016 draft. I'd think all academy, or does anyone think we'd take someone else for a particular need? Macreadie filling a KPD & Sproule a KPF spot I assume would be close to locks. Do we need all of Setterfield, Mutch & Byrne as midfielders? And will someone rise up from outside this frontrunning list? Given the number of midfielders jostling for spots (and agree with potential for a mid like Barrett to seek opportunities elsewhere, like Townsend & Bugg did) we need to weigh up the consequences of having too many on the books. And with healthy KPP stocks, are we happier to release Sunshine? I'd see he, Patfull & possibly Stevie J as the likely first 3 off, so we don't really need to cull any harder. Just see who might retire or opt to leave, but otherwise can sign all of these guys as long as $ are managed properly.

I would not be against taking another highly rated mature KPD, (mainly because Davis & Haynes seem injury-prone) so Hooker, Hurley or Schofield shape as possibilities. But I think the first 2 are not likely to come to NSW, & so maybe Schofield could come into play for McCarthy trade. But would not like to jeopardise holding onto young guns like Haynes & Marchbank. Don't see a burning need elsewhere.

Last edited:

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very curious!
At what point does Tomlinson get a regular spot? With Mc Carthy unlikely to play this year does he get that 3rd tall position that you guys run?
If he isn't in the best 22 & with list cuts & more top end talent to come in would he be considered trade bait for academy picks?
I ask because with the loss of Hale, Lake, Gibson getting on, Spang injury prone & only a couple of KPD prospects in Brand & Heatherly, Tomlinson would be a perfect fit at the Hawks it would seem.
Where is he at??? Sounds like his pre season is going well.
I follow the Giants a bit if you haven't seen me pop in before.
Cheers guys
----
Great start to this thread btw!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
At what point does Tomlinson get a regular spot? With Mc Carthy unlikely to play this year does he get that 3rd tall position that you guys run? If he isn't in the best 22 & with list cuts & more top end talent to come in would he be considered trade bait for academy picks? Where is he at??? Sounds like his pre season is going well. Cheers guys

Ah, the exact questions that most of us GWS fans have. I think a lot of us have him in the best 22, but generally not locked to a starting 18 position. Last year we thought was his chance to lock down that 3rd tall position, but he stubbed he toe against Melbourne and it really derailed his season. And in his absence McCarthy starred. There's a split among posters on whether he's 3rd tall material - he tends to not score freely, and Lobb & Stewart are seen as likely better there.

He probably doesn't lock down a defender position (& I suspect that's not his preferred spot, think he'd like the CHF) unless he takes the Patfull type role in future. He can do a special job though, look at his job on Roo in the second game versus St Kilda last year. With his tank and marking skills, he's a great link man, winger ... but we have Whitfield, Scully, Kelly & WHE already battling for spots.

For me, he's an ideal benchman, because he can cover so many areas. I hope that he's a regular 22 in 2016, and that this suffices - because I think he can continue to improve and I like his enthusiasm. Leon needs to take him aside and explain his value to the team even with a floating role. Presuming that Leon sees it the same way.

I wouldn't think that we'd trade him just to get draft picks. Although there's another reasonable crop of academy guys, I'm of the view that we can't afford to keep rolling over large numbers of players. We've done so thus far because of the convergence of list reduction requirements, academy picks in 2015, fringe or not 22 players wanting to go home or leave for more opportunities. But we have 3 1st & 2 2nd round 2016 draft picks already, which should be enough (irrespective of the Sunshine situation & whether any picks result this year). Of course, future picks could be an option, but personally I hope he wants to stay and that GWS wants him to stay.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
I think Tommo is number 24 to 26 on the best 22. Because of his versatility he is handy to keep. Not sure Tommo will be happy not being best 22 and may look for opportunities elsewhere. From all reports he is having a red hot crack so kudos to him. Hope i am wrong.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ah, the exact questions that most of us GWS fans have. I think a lot of us have him in the best 22, but generally not locked to a starting 18 position. Last year we thought was his chance to lock down that 3rd tall position, but he stubbed he toe against Melbourne and it really derailed his season. And in his absence McCarthy starred. There's a split among posters on whether he's 3rd tall material - he tends to not score freely, and Lobb & Stewart are seen as likely better there.

He probably doesn't lock down a defender position (& I suspect that's not his preferred spot, think he'd like the CHF) unless he takes the Patfull type role in future. He can do a special job though, look at his job on Roo in the second game versus St Kilda last year. With his tank and marking skills, he's a great link man, winger ... but we have Whitfield, Scully, Kelly & WHE already battling for spots.

For me, he's an ideal benchman, because he can cover so many areas. I hope that he's a regular 22 in 2016, and that this suffices - because I think he can continue to improve and I like his enthusiasm. Leon needs to take him aside and explain his value to the team even with a floating role. Presuming that Leon sees it the same way.

I wouldn't think that we'd trade him just to get draft picks. Although there's another reasonable crop of academy guys, I'm of the view that we can't afford to keep rolling over large numbers of players. We've done so thus far because of the convergence of list reduction requirements, academy picks in 2015, fringe or not 22 players wanting to go home or leave for more opportunities. But we have 3 1st & 2 2nd round 2016 draft picks already, which should be enough (irrespective of the Sunshine situation & whether any picks result this year). Of course, future picks could be an option, but personally I hope he wants to stay and that GWS wants him to stay.
Cheers mate!
I think I remember that game against the saints.
I could definitely see him as a CHB full time, who like Roughhead, can roll into the middle for limited minutes/pinch hit ruck rover.
good luck to him with a starting spot! I'll be keeping a close eye this year. Thanks again Giant Strides

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Tomlinson is best 22 for me. Now that McCarthy isn't going to be in the picture he is only competing with Stewart and a combo of lobb/downie.

He will play the majority of the season barring injury of course.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Tommo will only be best 22 when he starts taking contested marks.
That is probably Tommos weakness. He also needs to dispose of the ball quicker in traffic. As i said I really hope he makes the third tall his but I have some doubts.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Very curious!
At what point does Tomlinson get a regular spot? With Mc Carthy unlikely to play this year does he get that 3rd tall position that you guys run?
If he isn't in the best 22 & with list cuts & more top end talent to come in would he be considered trade bait for academy picks?
I ask because with the loss of Hale, Lake, Gibson getting on, Spang injury prone & only a couple of KPD prospects in Brand & Heatherly, Tomlinson would be a perfect fit at the Hawks it would seem.
Where is he at??? Sounds like his pre season is going well.
I follow the Giants a bit if you haven't seen me pop in before.
Cheers guys
----
Great start to this thread btw!
Where there is a gap in Hawks list management is where we are strongest. Players in the 22-23 yo range with 40 -70games.I fully expect and worry that the Hawks with Hodge,Burgoyne,Mitchell etc aging will target a number of our players.Hopefully u wont nab any but with salary cap space opening up it could be an interesting off season.On the flipside I can see us targeting some quality 27-28 year old free agents/other players once we have drafted our academy players.We need some top end experience to replace Mummy,Shaw,Patfull and SJ when they retire over the next few years

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where there is a gap in Hawks list management is where we are strongest. Players in the 22-23 yo range with 40 -70games.I fully expect and worry that the Hawks with Hodge,Burgoyne,Mitchell etc aging will target a number of our players.Hopefully u wont nab any but with salary cap space opening up it could be an interesting off season.On the flipside I can see us targeting some quality 27-28 year old free agents/other players once we have drafted our academy players.We need some top end experience to replace Mummy,Shaw,Patfull and SJ when they retire over the next few years
I wouldn't be to worried with the Hawks poaching players as I think, like everyone else that reads Big Footy, JOM is the primary target for this year.
I'm sure if Whitfield isn't locked away there will be speculation on him but for me Tomlinson looks a Hawthorn player.
The only thing I see GWS lacking is experience. By the time those players you mentioned are done others guys will be ready to step in. There will always be free agents or players looking for a trade for more opportunities, Jed Anderson :(, that can come in but investing in your own list is the most important part of list management I think.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The only thing I see GWS lacking is experience. By the time those players you mentioned are done others guys will be ready to step in. There will always be free agents or players looking for a trade for more opportunities, Jed Anderson :(, that can come in but investing in your own list is the most important part of list management I think.

I certainly hope that Tommo doesn't become a Hawk (no offence), but I certainly agree with the other aspects of your post. While we should always be on the lookout for a FA or player who wants to move from their existing club who meets a need for us, I strongly believe that we need to be developing our young guys into the Mumford, Patfull, Stevie J replacements. If we end up looking for mature replacements, then IMHO our draft & talent managers have misfired. They don't have to be exact replicants but perform a role, so Downie/Lobb combo, Buntine & Pickett or Matt Kennedy are the guys I'd be thinking in relation to replacements for the former trio.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I certainly hope that Tommo doesn't become a Hawk (no offence), but I certainly agree with the other aspects of your post. While we should always be on the lookout for a FA or player who wants to move from their existing club who meets a need for us, I strongly believe that we need to be developing our young guys into the Mumford, Patfull, Stevie J replacements. If we end up looking for mature replacements, then IMHO our draft & talent managers have misfired. They don't have to be exact replicants but perform a role, so Downie/Lobb combo, Buntine & Pickett or Matt Kennedy are the guys I'd be thinking in relation to replacements for the former trio.
I agree with that but inevitability some of our players outside our best 22 will leave and maybe one within our best 22 will leave.Where I disagree slightly is that I cant see us bringing in more than 4-5 youngsters from now on.Our premiership window opens in 2017.We will continue to bring in 1 or 2 experienced players each year.We can fastrack the leadership of our players a great deal but we will still need some experienced finals players once our 30+ players of Shaw,Mummy,Griffen,Patfull and SJ have gone.This will also help retain our star players who come out of contract in 2017.A precedent was set I believe when we overlooked Tiziani for mature bodies Lloyd and Reid.We wont pick players just so we have a certain amount of academy players on our list.If they are a great fit then pick them but otherwise only bring players to the club who can help us win premierships

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I agree with that but inevitability some of our players outside our best 22 will leave and maybe one within our best 22 will leave.Where I disagree slightly is that I cant see us bringing in more than 4-5 youngsters from now on.Our premiership window opens in 2017.We will continue to bring in 1 or 2 experienced players each year.We can fastrack the leadership of our players a great deal but we will still need some experienced finals players once our 30+ players of Shaw,Mummy,Griffen,Patfull and SJ have gone.This will also help retain our star players who come out of contract in 2017.A precedent was set I believe when we overlooked Tiziani for mature bodies Lloyd and Reid.We wont pick players just so we have a certain amount of academy players on our list.If they are a great fit then pick them but otherwise only bring players to the club who can help us win premierships

I started out to write that I'd be surprised if we brought in 1-2 experienced players every year, but concede it's a possibility if we want guys with finals experience. The ones we've brought it so far have targeted a need - Griffen (another hard-bodied mid), Mummy (a strong ruck), Simpson (a backup strong ruck), Shaw (defensive leader), Patfull (experienced defender) & Johnson (forward leader). However, I would say that in 2016-2019, at 5 to 8 years from inception, our initial intake - who are still the most numerous as a group - and the next 2 years' draft crop need to be the guys able to take the front-running both as players and leaders. Absolutely trade in for need (& one need might be experienced finals players), but most needs we should look to fill from within. We've got a young list and not too many draft failures, so I just see the need to trade in as slightly less than most clubs. Of course, if we lose a bunch of guys wanting to leave over that time, then we would have to trade in some experienced players to replace them. And I've no doubt that we'll lose a couple of guys we don't want to, but hopefully not too many from within the best 22.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with GG, the experience we need is already in our team, full seasons from Mumford, Davis, patfull, Shiel, Patton, Cameron, Haynes would be the best injection of experience in my eyes. Also the natural improvement from our next tier players will help propel us to September

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Agree with GG, the experience we need is already in our team, full seasons from Mumford, Davis, patfull, Shiel, Patton, Cameron, Haynes would be the best injection of experience in my eyes. Also the natural improvement from our next tier players will help propel us to September
Im looking at 2018-19.Patfull andSJ will be gone.The end can come quickly post 30 so Mummy Shaw and Griffen could be gone.I believe the club will primarily build with what we already have.However when looking at our premiership window in a few years time Gubby and Cameron will want a couple of extra experienced players who are currently 27 -28.All premiership teams have players around the 30 mark.We only have Palmer in this range at the moment.

Hypothetically say Marchbank doesnt re sign and Mcarthy will be gone.There are a host of free agents Centre Half Backs out there this year.Bring in Macreadie and an experienced free agent.We will also be a much more attractive destination for free agents from now on.This in my opinion is closer to the reality of what will evolve over the next few years compared to what people would like to happen.The vast majority will stay a few will leave and we will hand pick recruits to suit our needs with the draftpicks we acquire from trading players.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
No doubt things will change in the future but I have a gut feeling that apples will have a serious breakout season. His size is looking great and he has the aggression to play as a lockdown KPD.

However I'm not against a cheap mature insurance policy. Tim Mohr could very well be this option

Also I'm very keen to see how Tom young does this year in the NEAFL. Won the B&F and is a KPD. May lack a few cms to be a true KPD but is the very definition of a cheap mature KPD who is already living in Sydney

Back