Essential Albums...

Remove this Banner Ad

Good list. Prefer the first Kvelertak, Rollins had a cool groove on Weight.
Kudos on the Meshuggah, that killed when it came out.
First Kvelertak is fantastic too, Meir is a real grower.

That Rollins album still gets heavy rotation with me, similar with destroy erase improve, they've never been able to recapture the dynamics of that album again...not that they probably wanted to.

Some essential live albums
Motorhead - No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
AC/DC - If You Want Blood
Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

Would've selected The Wonderful and Frightening World... but this one has a few doozies. This is the kind of band whose albums even polarizes its fans
Yeah out of the 30 or so albums I think discussions, favourites and debates are quite interesting. 'This Nation's saving Grace' is probably universally considered their best album but after that there are so many varying opinions. My personal favourite is 'Live At The Witch Trials'.

Good spread (not all modern):

Death in June - Rose Clouds...
Sadistik Exekution - Kaos
Richard Wagner - Ring der Nibelungen (complete, should be around 14 discs)
Black Widow - Sacrifice
Lee Hazlewood/Nancy Sinatra - Nancy & Lee

thread has now changed from essential albums to any random s**t i particularly like that no-one else has heard of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't wait to see them again in March
Same, the last few times they've been out for Soundwave I've not seen their solo shows, due to other gigs being on the same night.

Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - Gurrumul.
The Birthday Party - Junkyard.

Same, the last few times they've been out for Soundwave I've not seen their solo shows, due to other gigs being on the same night.
I caught them at the Prince last time as well as SW - have seen them about a dozen times and all excellent.

My heart breaks...

Really stuck with the same genres guys.

Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life.
Perhaps the greatest musical masterpiece ever recorded, not ONE mention.
I Wish, As, Sir Duke, Pastime Paradise, Isn't She Lovely, Contusion...all on the same album. It's Stevie Wonder's masterpiece. Michael Jackson was in the studio watching Stevie Wonder craft this magic, Elton John has stated it's the greatest album he's ever listened to and he's taken it everywhere he goes. Paul McCartney said that this album is a revolution.
This album quite simply is perfection and for it to have not ONE mention frustrates me. It deserves recognition and I strongly suggest you go listen to it from start to finish, you'll love it. :)

Other amazing Stevie Wonder Albums: Talking Book and Innervision both from his golden period.
songs-in-the-key-of-life-prudential-center.jpg

Michael Jackson - Dangerous
Overshadowed by Thriller. Let's be honest, everything is overshadowed by Thriller. Thriller is the biggest album of all time, the most awarded record in the history of popular and classical music. It's sold 32 million records in America alone. It's untouchable.

Dangerous however is Michael Jackson's greatest album. It's more versatile, it takes more risks, it's more personal, it's mature. Michael Jackson got criticised for being too naive and having the audacity to attempt to heal the world. However, his music grows with relevance more as society evolves. Michael Moore used They Don't Care About Us as a video to raise awareness of the toxic water provided to the City of Flint this month. Jackson was paid tribute at the Superbowl, an event where he raised awareness to invest money in tackling poverty.

Dangerous touches on all these ambitious political themes with songs like Heal The World & Black & White. Deeper in the LP are songs like Will You Be There, Who Is It, Give In To Me & In The Closet. Who Is It for example was basically Michael Jackson beatboxing into a microphone, then adding layer and layer of instrumental depth. Will You Be There had Michael Jackson himself perform an Opera Introduction to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. These songs are pop/soul perfection and they're accompanied by artistic video clips. What people may overlook with Dangerous is that the album sold 35 Million copies, basically like any Michael Jackson record, it was a blockbuster and it sold otherworldly amounts.

Other Michael Jackson Records: Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad & History.
michael_jackson_dangerous_cover_by_markpudelko-d550jgh.jpg

That's all for now, we need a balance if you guys are gonna chuck your British White Bands and Indie bullshit throughout the thread.

A lot of records listed that I loved as a young man, but not sure how much I'd want to listen to some of them now.

Keeping it (very) short, a few old and newer that I would and do still play:

Stones - Let It Bleed
Neil Young - On The Beach (contains his greatest song, as proved by poster of this parish Zuma :) )
Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
History of Otis Redding
Massive Attack - Protection
Lara Nyro - Smile (thanks for the reminder, mianfei!)
CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
CunninLynguists - Dirty Acres

And yes, I do think the last two are *that* good.

Cunninlynguists are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back