Recruiting News for 2016

Willy Wonker

Debutant
Sep 7, 2010
Around
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Given the outs from Horsham and Saints and the ins for the Burras you would say on paper its the Burras to lose. Could do with some more pace maybe?

Willy Wonker

Debutant
Sep 7, 2010
Around
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hear he will be at Dees for all of 2016 having a gap year if he doesn't get rookie drafted. Huge for Dees if it happens.

Demons
In: Blake
Out: Burke, Christopher, Conboy, Lakin, Thompson, Wood, Nelson, Kelly.[/
Some quality players on the move. Would need to do some serious recruiting to replace this lot I would think.

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
As someone who is moving to a town soon within the Wimmera footy league I'm interested to know more about the goings on. Was there ever any debate as to whether southern mallee giants would join your league or was it always a non thought.
Is everyone comfortable with the amount of teams within the league and are the teams going strong.

jwshrive

Debutant
Feb 20, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
As someone who is moving to a town soon within the Wimmera footy league I'm interested to know more about the goings on. Was there ever any debate as to whether southern mallee giants would join your league or was it always a non thought.
Is everyone comfortable with the amount of teams within the league and are the teams going strong.
For some reason, I'm not really sure there was any serious discussion about the Giants coming to the Wimmera League - which I find quite strange, given we recently lost a team (Horsham United at the end of 2013) and I think the Giants would have been competitive. The HDFL has plenty of sides, but from their perspective they would have been silly to knock another team back given you never know when the next merger might happen or when another side might leave your league (as has been discussed with the possibility of Edenhope/Apsley merging with a near by side in the near future).

So at the moment I would say there's a fair imbalance with the numbers, but I don't think anyone really wants to create waves about it until the much talked about possible restructure of country football, which I think is meant to come in at the start of 2018. Personally, I think we could end up with a relegation system between the two leagues, but at the same time I'm not sure anyone with the power to make it happen would actually be able to follow through with such an idea, as I imagine there could be a lot of resistance (especially from clubs with a long history in one league or the other).

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
For some reason, I'm not really sure there was any serious discussion about the Giants coming to the Wimmera League - which I find quite strange, given we recently lost a team (Horsham United at the end of 2013) and I think the Giants would have been competitive. The HDFL has plenty of sides, but from their perspective they would have been silly to knock another team back given you never know when the next merger might happen or when another side might leave your league (as has been discussed with the possibility of Edenhope/Apsley merging with a near by side in the near future).

So at the moment I would say there's a fair imbalance with the numbers, but I don't think anyone really wants to create waves about it until the much talked about possible restructure of country football, which I think is meant to come in at the start of 2018. Personally, I think we could end up with a relegation system between the two leagues, but at the same time I'm not sure anyone with the power to make it happen would actually be able to follow through with such an idea, as I imagine there could be a lot of resistance (especially from clubs with a long history in one league or the other).
Would be a pretty brave step to go into a relegation system but it would be pretty exciting. At least demons wouldn't win every year I suppose. Compared to a lot of other neighbouring leagues in Vic the teams from both Wimmera and hdfl are reasonably close.
Interesting to see what happens with the restructure. I could see minyip murtoa in the north central possibly.

MrSolodolo

Rookie
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

I've heard while there senior team was strong, there junior and reserves sides wouldn't be up to the competion of the Wimmera league. It's a shame they took the easy option in going to the district league.

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
I've heard while there senior team was strong, there junior and reserves sides wouldn't be up to the competion of the Wimmera league. It's a shame they took the easy option in going to the district league.
Is the Wimmera league a higher standard than the district league?

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
I'd say both leagues have good players and teams but the Wimmera league has much more depth.
Do most teams have strong numbers in the reserves grade? Wouldn't mind having a kick if I got down to playing weight haha

jwshrive

Debutant
Feb 20, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, I'm sure you could easily get a kick regardless of current form or fitness - not too many sides have an excess of players. The WFL has a much stronger Twos comp, but the top senior sides in the HDFL could give those in the WFL a run for their money. While the WFL is the higher tiered of the two there are a lot of players in the HDFL who have played successfully in both leagues.

InsiderNews12

Draftee
Oct 30, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tim Mackenize & Nick Petering, both NOT returning home for the Burras, as they've decided to stay at their previous clubs.
Also, a truck load of locals set to depart the Burras, as the quest for flag has clearly overrun the once 'family' orientated club.

Ploughman

Rookie
Mar 31, 2010
Wimmera
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tim Mackenize & Nick Petering, both NOT returning home for the Burras, as they've decided to stay at their previous clubs.
Also, a truck load of locals set to depart the Burras, as the quest for flag has clearly overrun the once 'family' orientated club.

Talking about players that aren't returning is hardly newsworthy! Other players that AREN'T returning home include Jeremy Clayton to Warrack, Brent Tuckey to Stawell and Adam Goodes to Horsham...!

Also who are the players that are part of the 'truckload' that have left the Burras? They already have 3 ex Burra players returning to the club in Clinton Young, Tom Delahunty and Jarrod Newell. I think you'll find there will be more ex Burras returning than leaving.

part_timer

Draftee
Jun 13, 2015
Horsham
AFL Club
Richmond
Ins and Outs so far, fill in the gaps

Saints
In:
Outs: Rowe, Butch, Watson, Sheppard, Knott, Butler, Hallam

Demons
Out: Burke, Christopher, Conboy, Lakin, Thompson, Wood, Nelson, Kelly

Minyip
In: Young, Cameron, McGrath, Petering
Out: Kelly

Ararat
In: Mendes, Brain
Out: Cosson, Cavanagh, Vearing, Searle

Stawell
In:
Out: Driscoll

Dim
In:
Out: Clugston, Sibson, Rentsch, Seers

Warrack
In: McKenzie
Out: McGrath

Nhill
In:
Out:

So apart from players who aren't coming back...

Any one able to update ins/outs?

Footyz Life

Senior List
Mar 15, 2007
Western Highway
AFL Club
Essendon
Ins and Outs so far, fill in the gaps

Saints
In:
Outs: Rowe, Butch, Watson, Sheppard, Knott, Butler, Hallam

Demons
Out: Burke, Christopher, Conboy, Lakin, Thompson, Wood,Nelson, Kelly, Cross.

Minyip
In: Young, Cameron, McGrath, Petering
Out: Kelly

Ararat
In: Mendes, Brain
Out: Cosson, Cavanagh, Vearing, Searle

Stawell
In:
Out: Driscoll

Dim
In:
Out: Clugston, Sibson, Rentsch, Seers

Warrack
In: McKenzie
Out: McGrath

Nhill
In:
Out:

Any updates people? Bit quiet on hear lately over the xmas break. I would imagine the recruiting will fire up over the next month.

toohard

Debutant
Nov 24, 2011
Wimmera
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where's all these demons players off to? Big losses there

Sean Christopher - Glenelg
Ben Lakin - North Adelaide
Billy Lloyd - North Adelaide
John Wood - Out for year (knee)
Rhona Conboy - Hoping to get a club in Adelaide
Beau Nelson - Geelong for work (club not decided yet)
Missing anyone?

Footyz Life

Senior List
Mar 15, 2007
Western Highway
AFL Club
Essendon
Sean Christopher - Glenelg
Ben Lakin - North Adelaide
Billy Lloyd - North Adelaide
John Wood - Out for year (knee)
Rhona Conboy - Hoping to get a club in Adelaide
Beau Nelson - Geelong for work (club not decided yet)
Missing anyone?
Jordy Burke - North Ballarat City
Nathan Kelly - Geelong (club not sure)
Beau Cross - Taylors Lake
Alex Thompson - ?

Pooipooimoimoi

Draftee
Oct 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Wow Adelaide seems to be popular, will be handy for Horsham in a few years if they decide to come back from the sanfl, like Pekin did.

Hard to replace that many key positions, hopefully a few of there junior boys can step up

MrSolodolo

Rookie
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
The clearance period Has opened again. The only action for this league so far is a couple of big losses for Ararat

Willy Wonker

Debutant
Sep 7, 2010
Around
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wow Adelaide seems to be popular, will be handy for Horsham in a few years if they decide to come back from the sanfl, like Pekin did.

Hard to replace that many key positions, hopefully a few of there junior boys can step up
I don't think they will be able to go close to replacing those guys. Lloyd Lakin and Conboy would be in their most important 4 players. Kelly Christoper Nelson Woods are all coming into their prime. Their very best defenders going as well. All home grown and very very big outs IMO.

oldbomber

Debutant
Apr 22, 2010
Horsham
AFL Club
Essendon
With first pick of all the junior talent in the area im sure they will still be quite competitive. Big opportunity for many other teams to finally have some success against horsham head to head though as some teams would be lucky to have beat horsham just once in the last decade. Should be an interesting year with burras being the team to beat

Back