Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I'm really going out on a limb here :rolleyes:, but I'm changing my 2016 Best 22 given the Sunshine situation. And not having heard anything positive on Tim Mohr, I'm forced to accept that he's not likely to be ready for round 1 and therefore he drops out of my best 22.

Still some questions to be answered, but my revised (pragmatic) 22 is:

B: Joel Patfull, Aidan Corr, Phil Davis
HB: Zac Williams, Nick Haynes, Heath Shaw
C: Tom Scully, Dylan Shiel, Lachie Whitfield
HF: Devon Smith, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kelly
F: Steve Johnson, Jonathon Patton, Rhys Palmer
Foll: Shane Mumford, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio
IC: Adam Tomlinson, Ryan Griffen, Toby Greene, Jack Steele
Emerg: Lobb/Downie/Simpson, Marchbank, Ahern/WHE/Hopper/Matt Kennedy

Will be interesting to see now how Tommo slots in - does he take the roving forward role previously taken by Sunshine? Certainly his marking, running & fitness are up to it. Or - & because I still think we're light on for tall defender options should any of these get injured - does he perform a more utility role? For example, does he mark Riewoldt like he did last game vs St Kilda so successfully? And still possible that Hopper gets an early shot (probably in place of Steele), but need to see how the practice games go.

Mohr is an interesting one. When he was a regular starter, his two main attributes were his talk in the backline, and his size. With Heater on board, and Phil having a few more years of growing his leadership capabilities, I think the talk aspect and leadership down back is covered. Similarly with size, the skinny kids have all bulked up (and from what i saw of Mohr in preseason, i think he has slimmed down a bit). For mine, in the absence of injuries, I expect Mohr will be a NEAFL mainstay this year.

On Tommo, definitely needs to be a regular in the side this year. He is so versatile, the problem then becomes where do you play him. I think, as you suggest, he might get special assignments each week (as he did with Riewoldt) rather than locked down a permanant position. It would be interesting to hear from him what his preferred role/position would be.

Sorry wasn't sure where to put the SC questions, how is Zac Williams' preseason going? Still going to be playing off the HB? Locked into best 22 or right on the edge?

Thx in advance

If Zac plays he's likely to be off hb flank or (more likely) interchange. We'll know more when we see him up against the likes of Nathan Wilson in the intraclub in a fortnight.

On Tommo, definitely needs to be a regular in the side this year. He is so versatile, the problem then becomes where do you play him. I think, as you suggest, he might get special assignments each week (as he did with Riewoldt) rather than locked down a permanant position. It would be interesting to hear from him what his preferred role/position would be.
I have previously heard Tommo say he likes CHF. He has a real chance to establish himself as a lead up fwd with Sunshine out of the way. I hole he has been work hard on his goal kicking though, needs to make more scoreboard impact. I like his versatility but he needs to have more impact. I am more of a Stewart fan as he can take a nice mark and kick a long goal.

I have previously heard Tommo say he likes CHF.

I'm a Tommo fan, as you all know ;) but in no universe is he going to play CHF for the Giants. If it isn't Jezza, it's Patton. Tommo needs to improve his accuracy to be a KPF.

That said Leon likes three talls in the forward line so he'll get a shot at the third tall slot sometimes. I'd like to see him take on Reiwoldt again and some other players if Corr or Marchbank are struggling.

I'm a Tommo fan, as you all know ;) but in no universe is he going to play CHF for the Giants. If it isn't Jezza, it's Patton. Tommo needs to improve his accuracy to be a KPF.

That said Leon likes three talls in the forward line so he'll get a shot at the third tall slot sometimes. I'd like to see him take on Reiwoldt again and some other players if Corr or Marchbank are struggling.

He rucks better than Stewart. That third tall/chop out option is open. Both need to learn to kick straighter. Thommo has the better tank.

He rucks better than Stewart. That third tall/chop out option is open. Both need to learn to kick straighter. Thommo has the better tank.
I would have Stewart before Tommo as the third tall back up ruck.
Tommo plays like a high half forward / wing. And he is behind a few in this area.
He is most likely to be a KPD or nothing at GWS

I have revised my 22 for round 1 taking into account sunshine is unlikely to be available and it looks like Haynes will miss the start of the season.

Shaw Davis patful
Williams corr Buntine
Whitfield ward Scully
Johnson Cameron Palmer
Smith Patton lobb
Mumford Shiel Griffen
Tomlinson Kelly Greene coniglio

Emerg Simpson, Steele, Pickett, Wilson, Stewart.

I'm a believer that first year players need to be managed and eased into senior footy which is why I don't have the likes of hopper and Kennedy as emergencies and they are definitely behind those that I have in the 22.

I am hoping Pickett or WHE can force their way into the side for a bit of X factor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have revised my 22 for round 1 taking into account sunshine is unlikely to be available and it looks like Haynes will miss the start of the season.

Shaw Davis patful
Williams corr Buntine
Whitfield ward Scully
Johnson Cameron Palmer
Smith Patton lobb
Mumford Shiel Griffen
Tomlinson Kelly Greene coniglio

Emerg Simpson, Steele, Pickett, Wilson, Stewart.

I'm a believer that first year players need to be managed and eased into senior footy which is why I don't have the likes of hopper and Kennedy as emergencies and they are definitely behind those that I have in the 22.

I am hoping Pickett or WHE can force their way into the side for a bit of X factor

I agree with this but Hopper might force his way in.Time will tell.See how Nab cup goes

I agree with this but Hopper might force his way in.Time will tell.See how Nab cup goes

Hope you are right but without injury I struggle to see how he players ahead of any of the following guys in the midfield rotation.

Shiel
Ward
Griffen
Coniglio
Greene
Kelly
Whitfield
Scully

Palmer/Johnson/smith/Williams/Tomlinson who will play smaller roles through the midfield are all far superior elsewhere on the ground.

Good position to be in though. When you have a midfield group waiting in the wings that includes Steele, Barrett, Pickett, Ahearn, WHE, Kennedy, Hopper, Wilson the future is looking very bright.

Team for round one
Shaw Davis Buntine
Williams Corr Wilson
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Johnson Cameron Palmer
Smith Patton Lobb
Mumford Sheil Cogs
Greene Griffen Hopper Scully

Unavailable: Haynes Patfull WHE Mohr
Others: Tomlinson Marchmont Steele Kennedy.
The above is our best 30.
I think Ward Whitfield Griffen can rotate thru HBF to assist the defence rotations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team for round one
Shaw Davis Buntine
Williams Corr Wilson
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Johnson Cameron Palmer
Smith Patton Lobb
Mumford Sheil Cogs

I think Ward Whitfield Griffen can rotate thru HBF to assist the defence rotations
I think Patful will be ready for Rd 1.

I'm not so positive as others....

If he is fit for round one then he replaces either Buntine or plays NEAFL
Fair enough. I don't see Patful and Buntine competing for the same spot. Patful can play on talls and often does. Buntine is strictly on medium to small players.

Team for round one
Shaw Davis Buntine
Williams Corr Wilson
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Johnson Cameron Palmer
Smith Patton Lobb
Mumford Sheil Cogs

Pretty close to my thinking. Had Patfull in, but if he isn't right then Bunts it is. I would have Tommo on the bench for Hopper at this stage. If Hopper steps up in the preseason games, then I might be persuaded to have in a round one 22. I will also be watching the progress of Stewart.

Pretty close to my thinking. Had Patfull in, but if he isn't right then Bunts it is. I would have Tommo on the bench for Hopper at this stage. If Hopper steps up in the preseason games, then I might be persuaded to have in a round one 22. I will also be watching the progress of Stewart.

Consensus seems to be that there are only a couple of positions up for grabs in the starting 22.

Pretty much the same. Patfull starting if fit but Raymanns team is how i see it.

Team for round one
Shaw Davis Buntine
Williams Corr Wilson
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Johnson Cameron Palmer
Smith Patton Lobb
Mumford Sheil Cogs

I see Steele or Tomlinson where you have Hopper, but NAB will tell a lot of that story, nice team and from a club perspective nice that some great players are still awaiting selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back