Buying an engagement ring

Remove this Banner Ad

if you want to get right intoit, go to www.pricescope.com. its like bigfooty for diamon and jewelry lovers. heaps of education there and i ended up getting several diamond specs and asking for members opinions. theyre quite knowledgable.
i bought mine from overseas online. had it delivered. now the dollars out of whack it might not be as economical but australia is like bum flufff idaho with diamonds.only a tiny amount of world stock comes hre so its much much harder to come across something decent.
educate yoursef and you can find something nice for, say $5000 or dont and waste $10,000 on some crap (pulling figures out my ass)

jewelers know that most men
a) dont know what theyre on about
b) qre emotionally attached to the purchase.

OK so it seems I have approached the time in my life where I need to go out and buy an engagement ring. The jewelery world could not be more foreign to me, so I seek the assistance of the BigFooty faithful:

- how much should I be budgeting for? Is that a stupid question?
- I think I'd like to avoid the cliche of getting her a diamond ring, or is that just crazy talk?
- birthstones. She's born in June (so her stone is pearl), I hate pearls and I reckon she might too, I am thinking of getting her an amethyst (February) is that bad luck or voodoo or whatever?
- white gold - yay or nay?
- how do I figure out what ring size she is without telling her that I'm buying her a ring? I'd like it to be a surprise.
- should she participate in choosing the ring or should I be the creative genius behind the whole thing?

Any advice. Anything at all. Would be much appreciated.

First of all ask your fiancee her choice about jewelry. If she has liking for diamond ring then why you are getting out of it. You should be clear on this issue. I am just sharing my experiences with you and consider it as my better advice to you that you should go for diamond ring with in your budget. Long back one of my friend has referred me the online reference of jtelsen as they specially deals with diamond engagement rings. They have beautiful collection.

buy uncut diamonds from a quality mine. A top quality 1 carat diamond will set you back $300 but buy a 1.4 carat diamond if you want a 1 carat diamond after cutting.

a good diamond cut will set you back $12-$20.

Then just buy the ring and have the best quality diamond ($10k) worth for well under $1k.

it's worth the effort and if you buy 2 or 3 you will make a profit.

Bump.

Going through this process atm, interested in what colour and clarity people settled for?

Currently looking at D & E's, wondering how low people went down the spectrum? I'll be getting an oval cut.

bk_onion_ring.jpg

i'm hungry now

buy uncut diamonds from a quality mine. A top quality 1 carat diamond will set you back $300 but buy a 1.4 carat diamond if you want a 1 carat diamond after cutting.

a good diamond cut will set you back $12-$20.

Then just buy the ring and have the best quality diamond ($10k) worth for well under $1k.

it's worth the effort and if you buy 2 or 3 you will make a profit.

Where would one buy uncut diamonds? And how do you know the quality of the mine?

Where would one buy uncut diamonds? And how do you know the quality of the mine?

it isn't very sophisticated, just call up a producer or near term producer (they will have samples). If you don't know the quality, have them assessed by a diamond trader explaining you can source supply.

it can be done with bluff and buster or pursued as something commercial. you have to remember most diamond plays are started by amateurs who are desperate for a bit of love and attention.

Elkedra was an excellent mine

You have to remember diamonds are not rare thus stones are cheap. The market is controlled thus artificial pricing occurs

Elkedra was an excellent mine

You have to remember diamonds are not rare thus stones are cheap. The market is controlled thus artificial pricing occurs

Any chance you know a suitable producer? I have googled diamond mines and as one can expect it comes up with numerous suggestions. You could PM me so not to derail this thread further (PM'ing you doesn't appear to be available?).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back