Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No. The $2 billion TV rights that Seven and Foxtel pay are, as well as Telstra paying for online content as well.

Maybe when A-League can boast a $2 billion dollar TV deal from a major Australian TV network, then they might have less clubs falling over as well.

Also, AFL clubs aren't privately owned, so this is why they are less likely to fall over.

Considering that the AFL is the absolute pinnacle of footy 2 billion isn't that impressive at all. And a competition where half the competition needs cash injections from the AFL to balance the books ensures clubs may not go bust for the moment but also ensures the sport will never grow beyond the current setup.

We've already seen the FFA cup outperforming the foxtel cup by miles and it's only a new comp.

Considering that the AFL is the absolute pinnacle of footy 2 billion isn't that impressive at all. And a competition where half the competition needs cash injections from the AFL to balance the books ensures clubs may not go bust for the moment but also ensures the sport will never grow beyond the current setup.

We've already seen the FFA cup outperforming the foxtel cup by miles and it's only a new comp.
As has been said elsewhere, it is in the nature of sports competition that those at the bottom struggle in comparison to the top. The bottom performing clubs actually turn over a lot of cash, the problem is the costs incurred in trying to match it with the wealthiest clubs.

This is why the bottom performing clubs cannot be used as an indication of the health of the league. If the AFL made 5 billion, after it all shook out, you would still have clubs at the bottom struggling and needing help.

Soccer Australia needs its own house in order. If it isn't, then no amount of difficulty being felt by Saints or Doggies or Suns will help in the slightest.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

world cup in cricket how many countries play cricket and are super powers also in the wc in soccer u have the might of different continents its harder winning a world cup than a cricket world cup

Firstly, the Australian economy is not as big as the US and England, so you can't compere what Aussie TV pays for sporting rights to the Americans and Poms. Those countries pay more because they have a much bigger population to watch the sport and push advertising onto.

I'm sure that the rights US TV stations bid to show the Superbowl would be more than the AFL Grand Final, but they have a bigger audience, and the advertisers thus spend more to push their product onto a larger group of people.

Okay, so when is Nine, Seven or Ten going to offer two billion for TV rights to A-League, or even the friendlies or World Cup Qualifying Matches?

When that happens, come and talk to me. Until then, be content with the mediocre TV deal SBS has with soccer, and that's not even all the games.

Hell, the Big Bash Cricket, which is a minor competition, is pulling the numbers that A-League are, and yet are on Channel 10 every night.

If I wanted to watch every game of the A-League, where would I find it on free-t-air, digital or Foxtel? I can watch every AFL game or every cricket game if I have Foxtel. But I don't know if Fox Sports shows EVERY A-League game played, and like to concentrate on Premier League instead.

So, TV would rather show EPL than its own local league. Ha! Ha! Hell, even Channel Seven shows the VFL. Meaning that AFL and VFL are on TV, yet A-League hardly gets a look-in.

I saw Rebecca Wilson wrote an article in today's paper bagging the Big Bash League.

If I wanted to read a bunch of losers heap s**t on everything, I'd just come on here.

What do they say - it's easier to write a sad song than a happy one? It's also easier to write an negative article bagging anything and everything than it is to write one that celebrates something.

Wilson is nothing more than a professional moaner who needs a hug.

I saw Rebecca Wilson wrote an article in today's paper bagging the Big Bash League.

If I wanted to read a bunch of losers heap s**t on everything, I'd just come on here.

What do they say - it's easier to write a sad song than a happy one? It's also easier to write an negative article bagging anything and everything than it is to write one that celebrates something.

Wilson is nothing more than a professional moaner who needs a hug.

I'd say that's what got her the gig at News Corp in the first place :D

Surprised not much talk from the game last night about the flares/flare guns apparently happened last night.

Disgraceful if true, thought all concerned would have backed up the talk about the stadium bans.

heard on fairfax news radio report concerning flares and seat smashes at the city game. 19 flares.

There certainly wasn't 19 flares in the stadium, the number would've been 6 or so.
I'm assuming the media is reporting 19 over the course of the night including pre-game in the streets since they follow the supporter groups around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised not much talk from the game last night about the flares/flare guns apparently happened last night.

Disgraceful if true, thought all concerned would have backed up the talk about the stadium bans.

I don't know what you've been reading - 7, 9, Fairfax and SEN have all covered it. And that's only what I've seen/heard/read. I'm sure News Corp would've been all over it.

As reasonable-minded fans, I think it's hard to know how to respond. I speak personally in saying that I'm embarrassed and I'm angry after standing by these people in November.

I started off by saying that I don't think it's the active fans and members who turn up week in, week out - it's tagalongs trying to be terrace bad arses. But the more I read on facebook and twitter, and the more I see "the usual" terrace members stick up for the flare-lighters, the more uncertain I become.

The facts are:
- they're illegal under state, federal and maritime law. These pinheads can't/won't understand that legalising them isn't as simple as the FFA saying "bring them along!"

- they're dangerous - 2 people were injured by one in Perth last year.

- whether or not you agree with the hysterical media coverage we get, it's a fact of life. Football fans managed to win a lot of support from the non-News Corp media last year for the professional, meaningful way that the November protests were handled, and they've pissed all over that good will.

- Rightly or wrongly, this media reporting does stunt the growth of the game - 75% of kids who play football in this country don't attend A-League games. This is at least partly due to the media reporting around the A-League - incidents like Saturday night are a free kick for those sections of the media.

There certainly wasn't 19 flares in the stadium, the number would've been 6 or so.
I'm assuming the media is reporting 19 over the course of the night including pre-game in the streets since they follow the supporter groups around.

As I whinged about on Saturday, I couldn't get to the game - but I think people on both sides of the argument (whether they're pro-flare or anti-flare) can't/don't differentiate between dangerous, illegal flares and relatively harmless smoke bombs which, based on the ingredients, can be legal (although they're frowned upon, and they probably aren't harmless to those with breathing difficulties.)

That said - no, they're saying 19 flares in the stadium and another 6 outside the stadium, but I have no idea whether that's right or not

Last edited:
I don't know what you've been reading - 7, 9, Fairfax and SEN have all covered it. And that's only what I've seen/heard/read. I'm sure News Corp would've been all over it.

As reasonable-minded fans, I think it's hard to know how to respond. I speak personally in saying that I'm embarrassed and I'm angry after standing by these people in November.

I started off by saying that I don't think it's the active fans and members who turn up week in, week out - it's tagalongs trying to be terrace bad arses. But the more I read on facebook and twitter, and the more I see "the usual" terrace members stick up for the flare-lighters, the more uncertain I become.

I was talking about these parts.

Not a dig at the people around here or the decent fans, disappointing that the 2% of flogs from both teams have let down the other 98% that go to enjoy themselves, shouldn't get to the stage where they're playing certain games in empty stadiums.

Radio with the usual suspects. No doubt Tom Elliott will have his rant this afternoon. I can't see the problem with fixing it. Ban WSW from travelling to away games for 6 matches or the rest of the season. If they do it again then make it the season. If the home team supporters let off flairs then the club gets fined $50,000. The second time $100k third time they play in an empty stadium.

Anyone caught lighting a flair or trying to bring one into the stadium fined $50,000 and banned for life.

I was talking about these parts.

Not a dig at the people around here or the decent fans, disappointing that the 2% of flogs from both teams have let down the other 98% that go to enjoy themselves, shouldn't get to the stage where they're playing certain games in empty stadiums.

Fair enough - I thought that might've been the case, which is what prompted the rest of my reply.

There was a little bit of chatter during the game on Saturday night, but mostly I'd be surprised if people don't feel similarly to me - we're embarrassed having stuck up for these shitheads a couple of months ago, and with the appeal process proposal due in a couple of weeks.

Radio with the usual suspects. No doubt Tom Elliott will have his rant this afternoon. I can't see the problem with fixing it. Ban WSW from travelling to away games for 6 matches or the rest of the season. If they do it again then make it the season. If the home team supporters let off flairs then the club gets fined $50,000. The second time $100k third time they play in an empty stadium.

Anyone caught lighting a flair or trying to bring one into the stadium fined $50,000 and banned for life.

By doing this though, you aren't punishing the guilty parties - if I'm not able to attend Victory games cos some other prick is lighting flares, that's not particularly fair.

That said... I do think invoking the Wanderers' suspended points deduction is a good idea. While it's still punishing the team instead of the relevant people, I think that's the surest and quickest way to get people to stop the "protection racket" around those who rip flares.

I also agree that there's some merit to banning away supporters - but I don't quite know how you implement that. Although I guess it could be done quite easily if we just wanted to ban Wanderers fans from Victory games. Most of the ground is sold to members anyway, so I guess you can make them "members only" games. But Victory/AAMI park is really the only team/location where this will work.

I wonder if the FFA will carry out it's threat to dock points from the Wanderers over this.

After all the kick up from the RBB in particular late last year about unfair treatment, this is not a good look for them.

While I understand the need to stamp the flares out, I bloody love them, Adds so much to the atmosphere, Nothing like a loud passionate supporter base singing though a haze of smoke.

that's fine. do it in an empty warehouse. dont bring that s**t to football games.

yep, elliott was frothing today. he shouldve listened to francis leach on sen talking about this problem, leach was measured yet angry. having a direct go at the dickheads who behave like this, saying they dont represent him or other football lovers.

but instead elliott was wound up. he also said gallops name was jeff gallop.

While I understand the need to stamp the flares out, I bloody love them, Adds so much to the atmosphere, Nothing like a loud passionate supporter base singing though a haze of smoke.
It adds nothing bar the majority of the stadiums going 'Here are the idiots at it again'.

Simon Hill had a fair crack today which is unlike him.

Back