2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At least this piece is written by Davis and not Ralph! Let's hope the part about Richy is true!

DAYNE Zorko says the Lions are about to go places so he is going nowhere.

The Brisbane vice-captain is poised to sign a contract extension with the club before the start of the 2016 premiership.

Zorko was linked to being part of a possible exodus from the Gabba last year that never eventuated.

With a new manager in tow, the midfielder/small forward is keen to lock away a new deal with the club that gave him a shot as a mature-age rookie.

Zorko said the environment at the Lions made the decision to stay a no-brainer.

“I’m happy at Brisbane so I’m sure my manager and the club will go through the process and it (the contract extension) won’t be too far away,’’ Zorko said.

Other Stories
Aussie city facing ‘50C days’

Spat overshadows Froome’s Tour win

Top cop dies on day of retirement
v1

013922b7503ffc550e33ce506e84ed66

Daniel Rich and Dayne Zorko in action. Picture: Jono Searle
“What’s been created by the coaching staff is a really fun environment not only for the younger kids to come into but even us older guys that have been here a while.

“We’ve had a couple of years under the system Leppa (coach Justin Leppitsch) has put in place.

“The way we are moving the ball and our training standards are really picking up. I’m excited about the future.

“We feel like we are on the right track and we are building something we all want to be a part of, hopefully the younger guys can stick around and we can build something.’’

Zorko’s imminent recommitment will take the number of re-signings in the past six months to 10.

Stef Martin, Pearce Hanley, Harris Andrews, Mitch Robinson, Marco Paparone, Rohan Bewick, Ryan Harwood, Jaden McGrath and Josh Clayton have all extended recently.

Vice-captain Daniel Rich is out of contract at the end of 2016 but is set to re-sign soon while skipper Tom Rockliff is keen to extend despite being signed to the end of 2017.

The one-year extension for Leppitsch will be rubber-stamped at a board meeting later this month with all directors unanimously supporting the decision to keep the triple premiership player at the helm until the end of 2017.

Zorko said the extra experience and depth in the Brisbane midfield with the arrival of Ryan Bastinac and Tom Bell was an extra reason for optimism.

“It’s (depth) something we haven’t had since I’ve been here so Leppa might have a headache trying to pick his midfield,’’ he said.

Brisbane will play their final intra-club match at Burpengary this Friday before the opening NAB Challenge clash with the Gold Coast on February 21.

A lot of engineers moving to NZL at the moment due to a lack of work here and an abundance of it over there. Thought you might have been one.

A lot of engineers moving to NZL at the moment due to a lack of work here and an abundance of it over there. Thought you might have been one.

Nah, just a victim of the mining downturn. Chose to take a redundancy rather than taking a 25k paycut+25% increased workload on an already overloaded workload.

I start with Fulton Hogan on the 15th of Feb as a Line Marking Assistant.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
How has Mathieson looked in the Match Sims in terms of fitness & 2 way running?
didn't watch him specifically for this aspect of his game, but didn't notice him struggling either. i think he is a bit like lewy taylor and rocky in the fitness stakes, all 3 don't test all that well in measurable tests like time trials and beep tests but get them out on the field they find something extra, i would call it white line fever fitness. i like spending a fair bit of time watching behind and in front of the ball play when at live games and rocky and lewy just run to the point of exhaustion, they can find that extra few percent, hopefully rhys has this trait as well.

Nah, just a victim of the mining downturn. Chose to take a redundancy rather than taking a 25k paycut+25% increased workload on an already overloaded workload.

I start with Fulton Hogan on the 15th of Feb as a Line Marking Assistant.
How much does that pay ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Little worried about our ruck stocks. If martin goes down, then we're essentially stuffed.
We must remember the form West was in before his knee went, everyone was raving about him and being one of the top ruckman, then Martin got his chance and everyone forgot about Westy. I don't think he is a done force yet and a good back up that can take more inside 50 marks. Archie is young but has a great leap, probably a year away given his late start to football. The they took a kid into the academy this year at just 16yrs old would already be the second tallest player in the AFL. Yes we haven't got great depth, but we have cover and we don't have to worry they will be leaving at the end of this season.

Back