Windows 10: General Comments/Positives/Gripes etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't really complain. Upgraded my windows 7 machine and it seemed smooth enough. Just did a clean install on a new ssd and no issues to report either.

But yeah if there is no rush and you are happy with Win 7/8.1 just stick it out.

Both my parents' machines have had issues with the start menu failing in Win 10 at various times. May have to try a clean install to get them some stability.

Mine on the other have been fine. Albeit I have switched a lot of things off and don't use Cortana, the Store, a MS account... so in some ways there's less to go wrong!
Yeah I disabled all the search features and cortana. Pretty impressed with it to say the least.

A word of advice. If you want to uninstall Windows 10 using the Settings/ Update & Security/ Recovery path you have 30 days to do so. After 30 days Gates & Co assume you are happy and the uninstall Windows 10 option disappears. If you want to remove W10 and revert to your previous OS after 30 days you will have to do a clean install and that is a lot more complicated.

A couple more W10 issues, neither of these is remotely terminal but they are annoying-

I have an occasional BSOD and a bad pool error message. - I have had it twice in a month and from what I can gather it is associated with available windows memory not the memory hardware itself. It sounds like it is a reasonably widespread issue and one for which Microsoft do not yet have a fix.

On resumption after my computer goes into 'sleep' mode I do not have a mouse pointer. Windows re boots OK but obviously has a problem finding the mouse. Thus does not happen on boot up but only on the re boot after 'sleep'. According to Microsoft this could be a driver issue but I have checked and my driver is up to date. I suspect that the latest driver for my mouse, which is Microsoft branded product, has a conflict with Windows 10. Again this problem appears widespread so it seems that Gates & co have yet another annoying problem to fix. If anyone else encounters this problem I have been able to restore the mouse by Alt+Ctrl+Del. Obviously it is only the mouse that is affected and not the keyboard.

I do not think it will be too long before we get a major W10 upgrade to iron out the bugs, just as we did with W8. Clearly Microsoft were too quick to get W10 into the marketplace. The system works fine but has plenty of annoying issues that need to be fixed.

I would make sure that I kept the Windows 10 updates current as Microsoft is fixing issues regularly.

I also agree with Matty6 re disabling Cortana as it has tracking capabilities and is a bloody nuisance.

A word of advice. If you want to uninstall Windows 10 using the Settings/ Update & Security/ Recovery path you have 30 days to do so. After 30 days Gates & Co assume you are happy and the uninstall Windows 10 option disappears. If you want to remove W10 and revert to your previous OS after 30 days you will have to do a clean install and that is a lot more complicated.

A couple more W10 issues, neither of these is remotely terminal but they are annoying-

I have an occasional BSOD and a bad pool error message. - I have had it twice in a month and from what I can gather it is associated with available windows memory not the memory hardware itself. It sounds like it is a reasonably widespread issue and one for which Microsoft do not yet have a fix.

On resumption after my computer goes into 'sleep' mode I do not have a mouse pointer. Windows re boots OK but obviously has a problem finding the mouse. Thus does not happen on boot up but only on the re boot after 'sleep'. According to Microsoft this could be a driver issue but I have checked and my driver is up to date. I suspect that the latest driver for my mouse, which is Microsoft branded product, has a conflict with Windows 10. Again this problem appears widespread so it seems that Gates & co have yet another annoying problem to fix. If anyone else encounters this problem I have been able to restore the mouse by Alt+Ctrl+Del. Obviously it is only the mouse that is affected and not the keyboard.

I do not think it will be too long before we get a major W10 upgrade to iron out the bugs, just as we did with W8. Clearly Microsoft were too quick to get W10 into the marketplace. The system works fine but has plenty of annoying issues that need to be fixed.

I would make sure that I kept the Windows 10 updates current as Microsoft is fixing issues regularly.

I also agree with Matty6 re disabling Cortana as it has tracking capabilities and is a bloody nuisance.

They both sound like driver issues, you should be able to pull an error code from the BSOD and find out where the issue is. As for the mouse issue it's possibly a chipset/USB thing, try using the chipset manufacturer drivers (Intel/AMD) instead of OEM drivers (ASUS, Acer, etc). It could also be a power state thing, a BIOS update may help too.

They both sound like driver issues, you should be able to pull an error code from the BSOD and find out where the issue is. As for the mouse issue it's possibly a chipset/USB thing, try using the chipset manufacturer drivers (Intel/AMD) instead of OEM drivers (ASUS, Acer, etc). It could also be a power state thing, a BIOS update may help too.

Thanks for the response Dav. I have checked the drivers and they appear OK. They are up to date and not OEM. From my research these small issues are pretty widespread and the general consensus is they are W10 related. As I posted neither is a huge issue and they are intermittent. I have on had a blue screen twice but both of these have occurred after installing W10.

The one driver that I did upgrade was the video driver. It was out of date and I had some issues with videos locking up. That appears to have been rectified.

Last edited:
Can you not just slam the window against the side of the desktop to resize. Then you get to select which open window you want to have running beside it.

Found an easier method. Hold Windows + right arrow keys. You can move the active window right, left, up, down using keyboard short cuts.

Post upgrade, my mum's Dell desktop was having all sorts of troubles with the Start Menu and Edge.

The 'Reset this PC' option has done a remarkably painless yet effective job of clearing out all the junk that survived the upgrade from Win7 and taking us to nice pure Win10, and it's now definitely running more efficiently. That it also produced a list of all the program you would need to manually reinstall (or just forget about) was a nice touch. Makes me wish we could all have done a clean install at the outset.

Had difficulty setting Firefox as my default browser in W10. I tried to do it in Firefox by using the 'Make Firefox you default browser' option. Did not work.

I had to make the change within Windows 10 by using the Settings /Default Apps option. One thing though Mr gates has cunningly included a Set Microsoft Defaults option in the Default Apps dialogue box. If you hit the Apply button in this box it will reset all apps to Microsoft and not reset the default browser of your choice.

Prior to setting Firefox as the default I could not open Firefox from the task bar or desktop. This was possibly a Mozilla problem and has sorted itself out.

Post upgrade, my mum's Dell desktop was having all sorts of troubles with the Start Menu and Edge.

The 'Reset this PC' option has done a remarkably painless yet effective job of clearing out all the junk that survived the upgrade from Win7 and taking us to nice pure Win10, and it's now definitely running more efficiently. That it also produced a list of all the program you would need to manually reinstall (or just forget about) was a nice touch. Makes me wish we could all have done a clean install at the outset.

How did your anti virus go? Did you have to reinstall it? I have toyed with the idea of a Reset PC but do not want the hassle of reinstalling programs.

Bits I like, bits I don't like about windows 10.

Have had major problems with Office 2016. Outlook isn't connected with Telstra yet so will have to wait until all that fixes up. Similarly Skype for Business has had regular issues with crashing on startup.

Regarding Windows 10 the major issue and the only true stumbling point for me has been game compatibility. I play almost exclusively retro games and about half of them just aren't compatible with Windows 10, so that's really doing my head in. The general compatibility really greatly needs to improve greatly.
Otherwise it's fine. Some software better, other software worse. I just love Windows 7 so nothing that was ever coming after it would leave me satisfied anyway. In saying that though I'm comfortable enough on it and much prefer it to Windows 8.

How did your anti virus go? Did you have to reinstall it? I have toyed with the idea of a Reset PC but do not want the hassle of reinstalling programs.

Yep, had to reinstall that (fortunately Mum didn't have a lot of extra programs, overall) but you can d/l the setup files for stuff like that ahead of time. Definitely worth it if you're having serious issues... dunno about just for a tidy-up though.

Had difficulty setting Firefox as my default browser in W10. I tried to do it in Firefox by using the 'Make Firefox you default browser' option. Did not work.

I had to make the change within Windows 10 by using the Settings /Default Apps option. One thing though Mr gates has cunningly included a Set Microsoft Defaults option in the Default Apps dialogue box. If you hit the Apply button in this box it will reset all apps to Microsoft and not reset the default browser of your choice.

Prior to setting Firefox as the default I could not open Firefox from the task bar or desktop. This was possibly a Mozilla problem and has sorted itself out.
I think the idea is to prevent programs making changes without your permission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to have broken my computer and need some help please!

I already had Windows 10 installed & running fine. I threw in an SSD yesterday, and did a clean install of Windows 10 using their media creation tool. Everything installed fine, but I have no sound. I've tried going through device manager, uninstalling all the audio devices & drivers, put a different headset in to see if it was the speakers that were broken, changed to the speaker port on the front of the case instead of the back, and no dice. If I go into Playback devices, it's showing the sound levels as if there was actually sound playing. I'm so confused what to try next!

I'm running a H97-D3H motherboard, I didn't change anything except for adding the SSD and disconnecting my CD drive (had no other power cords left in the case). Help!!! My computer speaker is a Razor Leviathan sound bar, but I'm not getting sound out of even generic headphones

I already had Windows 10 installed & running fine. I threw in an SSD yesterday, and did a clean install of Windows 10 using their media creation tool. Everything installed fine, but I have no sound. I've tried going through device manager, uninstalling all the audio devices & drivers, put a different headset in to see if it was the speakers that were broken, changed to the speaker port on the front of the case instead of the back, and no dice. If I go into Playback devices, it's showing the sound levels as if there was actually sound playing. I'm so confused what to try next!

I'm running a H97-D3H motherboard, I didn't change anything except for adding the SSD and disconnecting my CD drive (had no other power cords left in the case). Help!!! My computer speaker is a Razor Leviathan sound bar, but I'm not getting sound out of even generic headphones

Have you checked what device it's using as an output device? I've seen Windows automatically pick the monitor as the default output device (as DisplayPort/HDMI support audio) even though it hasn't got any speakers.

I've had some issues with Windows 10. First, I had issues installing upgrades but that seems to be fixed. Second, Windows Edge has completely disappeared and despite trying some fixes it hasn't returned. Thirdly, right-clicking on an item in file explorer can sometimes cause file explorer to freeze/crash. I'm interested to see if any of you guys have encountered these problems.

FYI my issue's fixed now. Turns out I fried the port on my motherboard. Sorry for blaming you Windows 10!

Had an update the other day and Cortana is now available. I also got a message telling me Windows had uninstalled my anti virus. :drunk:
Got the same update. Need help from someone a bit tech savvy. Keep getting "Default gateway not available" on ethernet but not on WiFi so it keeps dropping out.

Also get an error "Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing."

I've looked on line for both. Done some command prompt entries and it keeps occurring. Had this happen when I first got Windows 10 but for the life of it cannot recall how it came to stopping with these faults.

Ive got the same problem on another machine. As soon there is some load (youtube for instance) the ethernet drops

Cant find a solution

I did a quick check this morning and found that since November when I installed Windows 10 I have had 53 Windows Updates so I strongly advise that you have Windows 10 set to auto update. Hopefully the issues I have had in the past have evaporated due to these updates. Check particularly that Cumulative Update KB3124262 has installed because Microsoft advise that this will plug a few 'security issues' in Windows 10. This was released around Jan 27 and will have auto updated on most systems. It is cumulative so it will install updates that have not previously been installed and should bring Windows 10 up to date.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3124262

The large number of updates is good and bad. It is good to see Microsoft working to improve the product but you wonder why they need so many updates on a product that was supposed to have been thoroughly Beta tested ?

I just arrived home after being away overnight to find Windows 10 had installed by itself, without confirmation from me.

******* Microsoft.
You're not the only one. Have had my default gateway dropping out on Ethernet ever since.

Registry errors galore. Unprompted upgrades shouldn't be allowed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back