Toast Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Hogan?
Yes but I don't think anyone here has gone beyond thinking wow wouldn't it be amazing if we could somehow get him.
There is a difference between wanting something and making the jump in your head that because you want it you are somehow going to get it. Magical thinking. Some of the Saints supporters are talking as if the deal is all but done.
Some people have got a little like that with McCarthy but I still don't think we are as collectively delusional. Perhaps because we have been so unsuccessful at luring any tall forwards here. Melbourne based clubs are more likely to carry on as if getting the player is simply a formality.

Yes but I don't think anyone here has gone beyond thinking wow wouldn't it be amazing if we could somehow get him.
There is a difference between wanting something and making the jump in your head that because you want it you are somehow going to get it. Magical thinking. Some of the Saints supporters are talking as if the deal is all but done.
Some people have got a little like that with McCarthy but I still don't think we are as collectively delusional. Perhaps because we have been so unsuccessful at luring any tall forwards here. Melbourne based clubs are more likely to carry on as if getting the player is simply a formality.
McCarthy is vaguely conceivably gettable, Hogan isn't until he is an unrestricted free agent.

One of the weird things about BigFooty (and lets face it there is bound to be weirdness when a subsection of humanity comes together on the internet) is when a supporter group fixates on a young player from another club that for some reason, usually geographical/family/home and speculates on the chances of said player coming home.
After a while the speculation based on nothing but wish fulfilment becomes a certainty and supporters are making claims of getting the player for a 3rd round pick because in their head he's already not only asked to be traded but nominated their club. Its as if the thing is done and dusted.
There is a lot about footy that is delusional. A lot of people, and probably a good proportion of them on BigFooty, live their lives vicariously through it. A team wins a premiership and it's as though the fan has won it. s**t players are ostracised cruelly. Talented players who behave poorly are excused. The truly tragic amongst us submit our identities to the club. Truth rarely comes into it, which is why it has so much capacity for mythologising and superstition.

Last edited:

There is a lot about footy that is delusional. A lot of people, and probably a good proportion of them on BigFooty, live their lives vicariously through it. A team wins a premiership and it's as though the fan has won it. s**t players are ostracised cruelly. Talented players who behave poorly are excused. The truly tragic amongst us submit our identities to the club. Truth rarely comes into it, which is why it has so much capacity for mythologising and superstition.
I noticed a lot of Hawthorn supporters tend to preach to other clubs supporters, like they are somehow by association responsible for their teams success, making them more knowledgeable than other fans.

I noticed a lot of Hawthorn supporters tend to preach to other clubs supporters, like they are somehow by association responsible for their teams success, making them more knowledgeable than other fans.
I'll bet you they're like that in real life as well as online. Generally speaking, if you're an individual who feels powerless in general, there is an attraction to attaching yourself to the success of something else to make yourself feel better. It'd be interesting to check out the demographics of members of football clubs.

I'll bet you they're like that in real life as well as online. Generally speaking, if you're an individual who feels powerless in general, there is an attraction to attaching yourself to the success of something else to make yourself feel better. It'd be interesting to check out the demographics of members of football clubs.
Same thing happens when people go out with someone famous or very successful. They act as though it is in some way means they themselves are somehow more important or special.

Supporting a team is not about right or wrong. What's wrong with your footy team giving you a bit of emotional rocket fuel to add spice to life?

Supporting a team is not about right or wrong. What's wrong with your footy team giving you a bit of emotional rocket fuel to add spice to life?
I never said there was anything wrong with it necessarily – it's just what happens, the world over. We all wouldn't be here if we weren't a bit obsessive about it ourselves. For most people who follow sport, it adds a bit of excitement to a regular 9 to 5 existence but for some people who get completely lost in it, it means they don't allow themselves or those close to them, the time to achieve something for themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did any of you old timers (from the 90's) ever think any of our high profile recruits would ever say "I want to be a Docker for life"? :) oh how far the club has come!
Fyfey says he would die for the club that's pretty different. I am a 20 year member and it's quite refeshing to hear that someone wants to be a docker for life but anyone of the inter-staters that did go back like the Jeff Whites of the world Clive Waterhouse Dylan Roberton etc never went on to any super great heights that they wouldn't have acheived had they stayed.

Did any of you old timers (from the 90's) ever think any of our high profile recruits would ever say "I want to be a Docker for life"? :) oh how far the club has come!
And in the same week, one of the league's best coaches says he will extend his contract if the Club wants.....It's like another world compared to the old days and while there were some awesome moments and characters back then in our amateur days that kept the faithful fed, the Club has become so professional in building a culture and group that has us pushing so agonisingly close towards the Holy Grail.

Having said that, I do miss this. Would be a hoot to wheel it out on to the MCG during a grand final.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe we can get Mav over here to bolster the stocks at Peel.
What do you think Defacto.

sounds good... two first rounders sent our way should do it

in all seriousness, good on freo and good on lachie

no one likes seeing top end talent walk out on the clubs that draft them. good to see some loyalty!!!

Where? This has to moved to Cockburn . Maybe we could ask if the training watchers could use it for a meeting place at the new ground. Lol
It's around the back of the clubhouse as the players drive up and around to their car bays its on the left hand side and I think it is in a locked open cage. That was the anchor that was supposed to be weighing us down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back