Victorian Clubs get 'Academies' for Indigenous/Multicultural players

How do the population figures line up though? I would imagine a chunk of the metro area would yield more eligible players than a scattering of country towns

But how many are Multicultural and Be okay with moving to AFL?

But how many are Multicultural and Be okay with moving to AFL?

The first part is the important part in balancing the academies.

The second part is what the club is meant to "fix".

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Surely it can't be that hard to divide up SA and WA.
The AFL basically owns the VFL and the TAC Cup.

SANFL and WAFL are far more independent. They'll probably kick up a stink if they don't have input into how these kids are going to be managed. IMO having to deal with those state leagues are what is causing the delay. After all they already have their own comps that they want these kids (presumably) to be involved in.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
First of all, academies are bullshit.

Secondly, how the **** do Collingwood get "central Melbourne" while Richmond get a bunch of assorted country leagues? Cities are far more multicultural than country towns.
Because our powerbrokers are more influential than your powerbrokers (that's also how we got Treloar btw).

The argument I've seen often is that you can only get so many players, and if a player from normal channels is better than your f/s or academy kid, then you'll take the other player first... northern club supporters also often say that their academies will eventually produce so many good athletes that they will spill over into other clubs as well.

These multicultural academies are meant to increase the number of multicultural kids participating in Aussie rules programs and ensure that they get the support they need and a chance at an AFL club, and will have similar arguments to the northern academies, i.e. they wouldn't play it otherwise, if they don't make the cut then they still won't be drafted, and if there are heaps of kids doing really well then they will also spill over into other clubs. Either way it helps to grow the sport and increase participation and the talent pool across the league. If my club's experience drafting top-ups is any indication, then the talent pool doesn't run that deep and these academies may do something to help that.

The association with TAC cup teams is probably a partnership that helps to facilitate multicultural academy kids within the TAC cup programs. The likes of Jacob Weitering, Josh Schache, Clayton Oliver or Darcy Parish would still be drafted under normal processes, because they are not (as far as I am aware) multicultural players.

I think this is just a test run for a predominantly bid-oriented live draft, along with live trading and such that we've heard about elsewhere.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The AFL basically owns the VFL and the TAC Cup.

SANFL and WAFL are far more independent. They'll probably kick up a stink if they don't have input into how these kids are going to be managed. IMO having to deal with those state leagues are what is causing the delay. After all they already have their own comps that they want these kids (presumably) to be involved in.

State Govt/taxpayer funds from WA & SA is not something the AFL will achieve without many strings attached.

That the AFL acted on Vic in isolation on Academies demonstrates how poorly our game is being managed.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Seeing as how WA is already carved up among WAFL teams wouldn't the clean way to involve the afl clubs would be to follow the current F/S WAFL alignments the clubs currently have/had

State Govt/taxpayer funds from WA & SA is not something the AFL will achieve without many strings attached.

That the AFL acted on Vic in isolation on Academies demonstrates how poorly our game is being managed.

Is the AFL getting government funds for any of the others? I was talking the leagues themselves - they're known to be reticent for anything that might cede control of some of the sport in their "territory" to the AFL, and this definitely fits that description.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Is the AFL getting government funds for any of the others? I was talking the leagues themselves - they're known to be reticent for anything that might cede control of some of the sport in their "territory" to the AFL, and this definitely fits that description.

You mean WAFC funding versus say AFL Victoria funding?

he who pays the piper calls the tune
proverb
the person who provides the money for something has the right to determine how it's spent.

You mean WAFC funding versus say AFL Victoria funding?

he who pays the piper calls the tune
proverb
the person who provides the money for something has the right to determine how it's spent.

Isn't the WA State Government already in bed with the AFL. After all Stadiums Australia won the tender to run the new stadium.

Back