2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You see this is where posters comments are twisted and assumptions made

I said he played rubbish .......that in no way says Menzel is a rubbish player ......you've drawn that inference and then associated it with me?

My posts on Menzel have clearly stated Menzel is a highly talented and skilled player .......however in response to people believing Menzel is a walk up automatic selection, i've rebutted with the fact that the majority of his games last year were rubbish efforts

The club obviously believes they can turn the talent into talented output ?

Good answer and well written. Your original comments did look fairly negative against Menzel and I'm sure he is a talented player and think he will have a positive effect at the club.

As you say, Macca had this insane ability to run just fast enough to stay 2 steps in front of the chasing player. He would somehow adjust this based on who was chasing him.

However his top line speed was absolutely elite. He had an extra gear that he not many other players had. His running technique with th ball was outstanding which made him look effortless.

Milera is a smooth mover and has good technique when running with the ball (unlike Cameron) but i havent seen that extra gear yet. In saying that I've only seen his highlights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have not seen them side by side in the 100 dash, But don't believe there much difference, But I have seen Malera burn of some fast runners in the SANFL, With more strength training he will get better.
He makes running look easy those guy have pace.

Milera
Doedee
Hunter
Wigg
McGovern
Keath
O'Brien
Dear
Greenwood
Menzel
Knight
Seedsman
Hampton
Atkins
Shaw
Hartigan
Beech
Ramsey
Kelly
Lever
Laird
Smith

Isn't the unknown of improvement, and novelty, and potential of all these guys so exciting? Anticipation of finding out more about these guys is making it a season to really look forward to. So many unknowns!
Laird the only one I can think of that doesn't belong on this list. We know what he brings. Elite small defender.
Smith just makes this list, his injuries last year mean we might see the real player this year.
Other one to consider is Sloane. Will his game go to a new level with Danger gone and him playing a full season?

Not true. However, I am aware of his weaknesses and how long it took him to establish himself. My concern is how poor our spread in both directions has been over the last year or so and Thommo is a big part if that issue. I'm not convinced that he will be able to change the way he goes about it.
It's our ability to defend the outside that has been more of an issue than anything

There is room for a thommo type that pressures around the contest as well as he does , can't have too many though and hence only one of M crouch or CEY will be in the round 1 side and I'm tipping it will be M crouch

As you say, Macca had this insane ability to run just fast enough to stay 2 steps in front of the chasing player. He would somehow adjust this based on who was chasing him.

However his top line speed was absolutely elite. He had an extra gear that he not many other players had. His running technique with th ball was outstanding which made him look effortless.

Milera is a smooth mover and has good technique when running with the ball (unlike Cameron) but i havent seen that extra gear yet. In saying that I've only seen his highlights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I look Hampton moves the most like Macca. That 'crow in focus' video of him at training shows how much he moves like Macca. You can tell Macca was his favourite player, he really studied him and moves like him. I hope he learns to embrace the half back role like McLeod did.

Maybe I'm just seeing things but it does look like knights right boot isn't laced up at all. In fact it looks very loose.

View attachment 213650
Nah that's just the tongue of the boot. It's a black V which sits over the laces.

B Crouch sporting the same pair.
416059-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com.au/the-cro...t/news-story/e3caed849f2bb1aa8fb439e1a308ceff

Crows can still prosper and make a tilt at the finals despite Patrick Dangerfield’s exit

Boy is there some holes in this journos work.....

Can someone tell him Scott Thompson of the Adelaide variety actually played in 2015!

"Injuries to key players such as Brad Crouch and Brodie Smith throughout the 2015 season hampered Adelaide’s ability to play midfield stalwarts in their ideal positions, relying too heavily on the Dangerfield and Sloane combination to win a majority of Adelaide’s contested ball, clearances and drive forward without the desired clean disposals and kicking efficiency to provide adequate scoring opportunities.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2015&rt=LT&st=CP

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2015&rt=LT&st=CL

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's our ability to defend the outside that has been more of an issue than anything

There is room for a thommo type that pressures around the contest as well as he does , can't have too many though and hence only one of M crouch or CEY will be in the round 1 side and I'm tipping it will be M crouch

I don't think there is room for a Thommo type clearance only player. I'm not sure any of the consistently best midfields over the last few years have one. What we got last year from Thommo is a player that works from stoppage to stoppage without being able to get to contests in general play to impact the outcome. And despite an apparent top 3-4 ruck am in the league and 2 of the best contested ball winners we allow pressure free clearances to our opponents which is in stark contrast to the way we often have to hack the ball forward. I think the foundation that we built our stoppage system is flawed and that it was Thommo's strengths that it was built around. I don't think we'll improve the quality of our clearances or reduce that of our opponents unless we start from scratch and forget about building a system based upon Thommo having a role.

Eddie says he's likely for more midfield time under Pyke.
Hope so .......his fitness levels have been the ???? .......IMO he looks as fit as he's ever been ...maybe seeing his football mortality & wants to give his all, OR he's just loving the Crows environment ?

From Eddie about Milera - 'seriously, the boy can play. Once he gets going none of the boys can catch him. They all want him on the wing delivering the ball. He is like a combination of Andrew Lovett with Andrew McLeod.'

Fair wrap!
Dare suggest Milera will get early games ......b4 Menzel?

Hope so .......his fitness levels have been the ???? .......IMO he looks as fit as he's ever been ...maybe seeing his football mortality & wants to give his all, OR he's just loving the Crows environment ?
He said he's been managed a bit during the pre-season just because he's getting a bit older, but hopefully that keeps him a bit fresher for the start of the year.

Well I think you can all wipe Riley Knight off your Round 1 team.

I hear he rolled his ankle quite badly recently during the players 3 days off from training. No it wasn't at Bounce. Although there is nothing sinister (a boat ramp I heard) the club is not happy however and it is expected he will miss the NAB cup matches.
I'm not sure if it is the same ankle he broke this time last year, but he would want to be careful with it. There is also a large number of players lining up to play the same role he does, so the timing is not great for him.

Might be the first bit of bad news from the pre-season. Sorry everyone.

Sorry if I have missed the posts, but has there been any confirmation or updates regarding this?

From Eddie about Milera - 'seriously, the boy can play. Once he gets going none of the boys can catch him. They all want him on the wing delivering the ball. He is like a combination of Andrew Lovett with Andrew McLeod.'

Fair wrap!
I don't think we ever saw the best of Lovett, one of the more unjust things to occur to a player (I mean he gets the sack for allegations that others don't)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back