Can a draftee refuse to go a club with criminal record?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly hypothetical but say pick 1 doesnt want to play for essendon at the end of the year, whats to stop them telling essendon they wont sign a contract if drafted? Or does declaring for the draft automatically form a contract? Would they have to just not declare?

That's not true, Dave.

If you choose not to sign with the team you're drafted to, you can re-enter the draft pool the following year.

But you can't play during that time. I thought you get suspended for Draft Tamepring?

But you can't play during that time. I thought you get suspended for Draft Tamepring?
No. If they told a club not to draft them because they'd only play for one club, that's draft tampering.

If they just choose not to sign a contract with the club that they were drafted by, that's their choice, and they re-enter the draft as normal the following year.

Silly hypothetical but say pick 1 doesnt want to play for essendon at the end of the year, whats to stop them telling essendon they wont sign a contract if drafted? Or does declaring for the draft automatically form a contract? Would they have to just not declare?
They would have to sit out the season and re-enter the 2017 draft if they were drafted and chose not to sign.

They could sign with a non-AFL team, play the next season out and go to the draft again, where they'd have no guarantee of being drafted somewhere else anyway.

The baller move if a draftee elected to sit out rather than play for your team would be to just draft him again and screw him over.

So does that mean the club that chose the draftee who decides to sit out for a year has wasted a pick? Do they get compo

Aren't clubs incorporated bodies, hence they are an entity by law, they can sue and be sued. Does that make them a legal entity subject to the laws of the land?

Yep - That's why Microsoft got charged with rape that time, and Coca Cola lost it's driver's licence after a DUI.

Obviously certain types of laws would be more to the point

No. If they told a club not to draft them because they'd only play for one club, that's draft tampering.

If they just choose not to sign a contract with the club that they were drafted by, that's their choice, and they re-enter the draft as normal the following year.

Okay but Didn't Chad Wingard did that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draftees sign a contract on draft night. I doubt any kid would stuff up draft night by sitting back stage and refusing to sign and Id imagine the AFL would take a draftee pulling that stunt lightly, and in fact would be surprised if the AFL would approve a players registration in the future.

Generally the entitled kids these days interview poorly for clubs they don't want to go too (ie wingard), and/or just leave and demand a trade to a club of their choice after their initial 2 year contract (ie.. Aish)

Okay but Didn't Chad Wingard did that?
No, Chad Wingard was rumoured to have told GWS that he would be unlikely to sign an additional contract after his rookie deal because he'd rather be playing close to home in South Australia.

He neither refused to go to GWS or specifically said that there was a single club he'd play for - He just forewarned them that he'd be likely to seek a trade home, and they elected not to bother with the trouble.

The AFL might still consider it tampering, but I'd doubt that anyone could actually prove he said that anyway.

The AFL might still consider it tampering, but I'd doubt that anyone could actually prove he said that anyway.
He confirmed it in an interview. The AFL doesn't care. Players and their family are fine to suggest they "might get homesick" in order to limit the team's picking them to only a couple (or 10 if Victorian). Whether that's in the spirit of the draft or not is a separate question.

A player can always deny his services if drafted somewhere he no longer wanted to play. Used to be a common practice around the late 80's. Its not going to get him a free pass to another club though. Curious post OP, the assumption being you have someone in mind drafted to Essendon who you would like to see at Hawthorn. Apart from 3 or 4 of the suspended Essendon players I cant see any on Essendon's list who Hawthorn would want. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back