Rumour Bluemour Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't been too many old favourite 'insider' posts lately. Not sure whether to be happy the leaks have stopped or sad because I want leaks dammit!

Actually find it refreshing that's there no rumours of our players behaving badly in the off season (which seems par for the course at this club since, well forever) at this time of the year.

In this case,no news is good news.

I would guess that around half of my posts have been deleted over the years.

But I guess that's to be expected when I spend most of my time on bigfooty posting pictures of questionable wrestling positions on the Wrestling board.

Sharpshooter+de+The+Rock.jpg
There's a wrestling board?????

I think the flack DVB has copped recently is unwarranted. At one point or another, who hasn't made an incorrect prediction or forecast something months in advance, even made outlandish statements, I know I've done all of those.
In my short time on BF, I've found it to be informative, funny, serious and at times interestingly provocative.
So he made some big calls, so what? You can focus on that or you can look at some of the great posts he's put forward.
Footy isn't a science, it's an art, nothing wrong with occasionally being a little abstract.
One thing I will take you to task on DVB, I get very attached to players, especially heart and soul guys, I'm a coach, it's in my nature. I understand footy is big business now, but I would hate to see the day we view our players as property or commodities. Other than that, you're OK by me.

I think the flack DVB has copped recently is unwarranted. At one point or another, who hasn't made an incorrect prediction or forecast something months in advance, even made outlandish statements, I know I've done all of those.
In my short time on BF, I've found it to be informative, funny, serious and at times interestingly provocative.
So he made some big calls, so what? You can focus on that or you can look at some of the great posts he's put forward.
Footy isn't a science, it's an art, nothing wrong with occasionally being a little abstract.
One thing I will take you to task on DVB, I get very attached to players, especially heart and soul guys, I'm a coach, it's in my nature. I understand footy is big business now, but I would hate to see the day we view our players as property or commodities. Other than that, you're OK by me.

Thanks Coach.

I just think with the introduction of Free Agency, there seems to be far less loyalty for players to stick loyal to their clubs and vice versa, and the game is poorer for it.

Jeffy was my favourite player for many years and it hurt bad to see him leave, but I understand the emotional reasons for him wanting him to leave. (don't want to discuss the supposed racist slur said to him by someone at the club, I actually don't know what happened there)

Everitt is now my favourite, and it irks me to hear him linked with Gold Coast last year, but I am resigned to the fact that that's part and parcel of footy these days.

I feel bad for the kids most of all seeing their heroes leave their clubs (although that suggestion by a SA Shrink last year that Crows supporting children should get therapy for Dangerfield leaving was a bit much)

Gotta love the jumper and the club and its history first and foremost. And i was just thinking that a pragmatist like SOS and his brain trust mainly consider the players to be 'commodities' . They can't afford to be as emotionally attached to the players as the fans/members (Jack Silvangi aside :) )

Thanks Coach.

I just think with the introduction of Free Agency, there seems to be far less loyalty for players to stick loyal to their clubs and vice versa, and the game is poorer for it.

Jeffy was my favourite player for many years and it hurt bad to see him leave, but I understand the emotional reasons for him wanting him to leave. (don't want to discuss the supposed racist slur said to him by someone at the club, I actually don't know what happened there)

Everitt is now my favourite, and it irks me to hear him linked with Gold Coast last year, but I am resigned to the fact that that's part and parcel of footy these days.

I feel bad for the kids most of all seeing their heroes leave their clubs (although that suggestion by a SA Shrink last year that Crows supporting children should get therapy for Dangerfield leaving was a bit much)

Gotta love the jumper and the club and its history first and foremost. And i was just thinking that a pragmatist like SOS and his brain trust mainly consider the players to be 'commodities' . They can't afford to be as emotionally attached to the players as the fans/members (Jack Silvangi aside :) )
I certainly understand your point, and unfortunately you're probably right. But I think the people at any club that are given the responsibility to make that club better, need to understand that some players make up the very fabric of that club, and trading them, regardless of their currency, doesn't help the club, it hurts it. There are certain players at all clubs that bring far more than stats, skill or ability, it's an intangible that can't be measured, manufactured or replaced. Corey Enright at Geelong, Daicos at Collingwood, Lenny Hayes, those sort of players...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isnt that he has made some big calls and got it wrong... it's that he took what certain members, and I use the next phrase loosely, of the journalism profession stated on social media as gospel and tried to, on occasion, bludgeon people into accepting the scurrilous comments as fait accompli.

It's one thing to come out with comments based on your opinions which are based on research and asking questions or to pass on rumours based on comments from trusted sources. But to blindly accept the words of these journo's who, as far as we know, make up half the rumours and stories you see in the papers or on the internet in an effort to make money for their respective newspapers... that's what has a lot of people up in arms about stuff that DVB posts.

It isnt that he has made some big calls and got it wrong... it's that he took what certain members, and I use the next phrase loosely, of the journalism profession stated on social media as gospel and tried to, on occasion, bludgeon people into accepting the scurrilous comments as fait accompli.

It's one thing to come out with comments based on your opinions which are based on research and asking questions or to pass on rumours based on comments from trusted sources. But to blindly accept the words of these journo's who, as far as we know, make up half the rumours and stories you see in the papers or on the internet in an effort to make money for their respective newspapers... that's what has a lot of people up in arms about stuff that DVB posts.
Yep. If you present yourself as in the know it's glory or consequence

don't want to discuss the supposed racist slur said to him by someone at the club, I actually don't know what happened there
Is this similar to the supposed homophobic slur levelled at Aaron Hamill which caused him to accept the Saint's offer?

Or is it similar to all the rumours swirling around after the 2009 Brownlow medal count that precipitated the departure of Brendon Fevola?

No one has actually come out with a dyed in the wool statement about either of those incidents, but they have been discussed ad nauseam over the years since they happened. Then there has also been the discussions about why SOS vowed that he would never return to the club while certain people were still on the board. And now we find him back there and one of those persons is still on the board.

You drop a line like that that suggests that him being pushed out the door wasn't because the club had decided to move him on because of his off-field antics and was in fact because he wanted to leave the club because of a racial slur? It's either one or the other and as such is open to public discussion on these forums.

I certainly understand your point, and unfortunately you're probably right. But I think the people at any club that are given the responsibility to make that club better, need to understand that some players make up the very fabric of that club, and trading them, regardless of their currency, doesn't help the club, it hurts it. There are certain players at all clubs that bring far more than stats, skill or ability, it's an intangible that can't be measured, manufactured or replaced. Corey Enright at Geelong, Daicos at Collingwood, Lenny Hayes, those sort of players...

Gary Ablett Jr., Buddy and Danger were all parts of their clubs fabric though- the Cats and Hawks moved on quickly and almost benefited from losing them, the Crows are unknown at this stage. I don't think there is an untradable player anymore, particularly if the player is enticed by another offer. It's all about how you manage the departure.

Couple of things -

So i got a few predictions wrong (based on twitter info etc) So what ? Hardly a sin, plus i did actually post that Nathan Bassett was going to Port as an assistant months before it happened (to that smart ass troll quoting 19th century posts from me)

Secondly, People have been twisting/distorting my opinions on Nick Graham, i might have clumsily worded it, but i never bagged the bloke or suggested trading him, i simply ventured an opinion based on intuition that SOS and the club may look to trade him if they want another good draft pick(s) in next year's draft, or as a means as part of a deal to get someone like Tomlinson from GWS.

Unless we get an outrageous offer, I don't think we'll be trading our first or second round picks this year, in a strong, deep draft from all accounts, and going by SOS's record, he will want to acquire more draft picks, and i think Graham, as an yet to be established best 22 player with some currency, could possibly be used as a trade. I don't see the need for some to carry on like I've just shot Bambi, I was speculating on what MIGHT happen, not what I WANT to happen RE Graham.

Maybe I've been following US Sports too long, but for a rebuilding club like us, we got to consider our players as Shares/Assets in a stock market, and the buy low/sell high approach into trading, say Graham (or someone else drafted somewhat late in the draft) for a second round pick, would be tempting for SOS, I would imagine.

I recently saw Draft Day, and I'm now getting delusions of being Kevin Costner :D (it was a movie about the NFL Draft and some of the ballsy and controversial moves Costner as Cleveland Browns GM made)

Finally, and i said this months ago, people have to start being less attached/emotionally invested in players, can't help but feel that player/club loyalty (and vice versa) is going the way of the dodo, and as the Troy Menzel trade proved, just about anyone, including fan favourites, can and will be traded if SOS and the club deem it necessary.

And haven't some suggested we should have traded Mitch Robinson back in 2012, when he did have some (relative) currency ?

This is the way modern footy works (esp after the introduction of free agency) and i don't like it, but I passionately believe the club needs to continue to be proactive and keep making list management decisions that will help us in the long term, for when our next premiership window opens.

You don't have to justify your opinions or comments DVB, that is what forums are all about. Okay, some people get the hump with them, so what ??

Besides, how boring would a forum be if people didn't stick their necks out occasionally. Without opposing views, there would be no discussion at all.

Nothing to see here, move on.

He's going for back-to-back Awards now ...... ;)

Is this similar to the supposed homophobic slur levelled at Aaron Hamill which caused him to accept the Saint's offer?

Or is it similar to all the rumours swirling around after the 2009 Brownlow medal count that precipitated the departure of Brendon Fevola?

No one has actually come out with a dyed in the wool statement about either of those incidents, but they have been discussed ad nauseam over the years since they happened. Then there has also been the discussions about why SOS vowed that he would never return to the club while certain people were still on the board. And now we find him back there and one of those persons is still on the board.

You drop a line like that that suggests that him being pushed out the door wasn't because the club had decided to move him on because of his off-field antics and was in fact because he wanted to leave the club because of a racial slur? It's either one or the other and as such is open to public discussion on these forums.
DVB said "supposed" as in "alleged", which is your whole point here. Pretty sure he was saying that he's not going to get into it because it's never been proven...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back