80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Round played and posted on BF by 12:33!!

Nice effort to break your handicap! do you find you have 5-6 less shots if you play at a "normal" course? like say you played Keysborough or Cranbourne? just a standard tree lined course rather than the tea tree lined death trap that is the National?

not caddying today?

Matt obviously had another good round

not caddying today?

Matt obviously had another good round

No mate, back to work for me!! I am saving my caddying for the Dunhill Links in Scotland in October, not that I have the job yet, but I have sewn the seed!!

Pretty hard for him to play badly at the moment, hitting it so straight it is ridiculous... so as long as he is sharp from 100m and inside and putts pretty well he will shoot consistently low numbers. That has pretty much been the formula for his success over the last 12-13 months.

Round played and posted on BF by 12:33!!

Nice effort to break your handicap! do you find you have 5-6 less shots if you play at a "normal" course? like say you played Keysborough or Cranbourne? just a standard tree lined course rather than the tea tree lined death trap that is the National?

i did? it says 10.33pm on mine. lol. weird.

thanks mate. look, ive learnt a lot over time, starting with a handicap of 30, then upto 32, then down to high 20s then the new GA system kicked in. im finding my groove, and like anything with enough GAMES you;ll find the handicap you should be on, and plateau. is this true you reckon?

i.e. as a beginner
start off high like 30
play rounds, inevitably s**t, but once a year win the comp
handicap comes in a tad
think about winning comps.
lessons
handicap goes in/out
more golf!
winning comps become harder as handicap comes down.
mid 20s, start looking at getting to 18.

i have been invited to keysborough this week! although prob wont play due to other things on. its a good question you asked. ive played the highs of kingston heath, rosanna and then ringwood. playing sub standard rounds at both. as a gun golfer yourself (with others here) you'd probably understand what im about to say.......nice lies, nice grass, nice soft fairways like at national helps, and that's where ive had best rounds....probably due to course knowledge. and to be honest national is more forgiving in terms of fairway width and green sizes.

but all things being equal? one expects to have better scores at courses that you mentioned i guess.

have you played at national B&G?

No mate, back to work for me!! I am saving my caddying for the Dunhill Links in Scotland in October, not that I have the job yet, but I have sewn the seed!!

Pretty hard for him to play badly at the moment, hitting it so straight it is ridiculous... so as long as he is sharp from 100m and inside and putts pretty well he will shoot consistently low numbers. That has pretty much been the formula for his success over the last 12-13 months.

so its true, short game is where it counts!

but what value is there on getting off the tee for professionals?

i did? it says 10.33pm on mine. lol. weird.

thanks mate. look, ive learnt a lot over time, starting with a handicap of 30, then upto 32, then down to high 20s then the new GA system kicked in. im finding my groove, and like anything with enough GAMES you;ll find the handicap you should be on, and plateau. is this true you reckon?

i.e. as a beginner
start off high like 30
play rounds, inevitably s**t, but once a year win the comp
handicap comes in a tad
think about winning comps.
lessons
handicap goes in/out
more golf!
winning comps become harder as handicap comes down.
mid 20s, start looking at getting to 18.

i have been invited to keysborough this week! although prob wont play due to other things on. its a good question you asked. ive played the highs of kingston heath, rosanna and then ringwood. playing sub standard rounds at both. as a gun golfer yourself (with others here) you'd probably understand what im about to say.......nice lies, nice grass, nice soft fairways like at national helps, and that's where ive had best rounds....probably due to course knowledge. and to be honest national is more forgiving in terms of fairway width and green sizes.

but all things being equal? one expects to have better scores at courses that you mentioned i guess.

have you played at national B&G?

No mate I haven't had the pleasure.. would love to come down sometime, everyone that goes near it raves about it!! I've only played The Dunes which I loved and Moonah legends which I thought was a touch disappointing. Amazing actually that the beach course at 13th Beach doesn't get a bit more air time.. a very good links in my opinion!!

In my prime I guess I probably shot my best scores around my home track or courses that I knew well. Probably got a bit over excited when playing on the K Heat, Royal Melbourne etc but as time goes on I am finding I am playing better away from home where I concentrate far better and like you say on courses that are well prepared etc These days at home I am hitting a lot of lazy shots or not really concentrating which is frustrating!!

In regards to Hçaps I guess you do find a plateau which is dictated by several factors, lessons, quality of teacher, equipment to some extent, talent, time and effort put in... the last 15 years I have hovered between 2 and 4 although with our course rating at the moment and the temporary holes giving me the shits I will be out beyond that if I am not careful. I guess I harbour a desire to get down to scratch even if only for a short while just so that I can say that I did it... but that is a long way off right at the minute!!

18 is a great goal to get to and with a few tweaks here and there it is not too hard to find 4-5 shots a round. Do you get lessons from anyone?

so its true, short game is where it counts!

but what value is there on getting off the tee for professionals?

Well it's funny it's very important as obviously they are playing long courses so if you are finding fairway bunkers or long rough you are in a world of trouble, Particularly when you throw firm fast greens into the mix. I have caddied for Matty playing with some bombers agood example was playing with Kiwi Ryan Fox in the Vic PGA last year... Now Fox is a PROPER BOMBER!! fairway bunkers on 11th at Huntingdale are 285m to carry... which he said to his caddy and I quote "Sweet, they are not in play with the driver" WHAAAAAAT!!! so Matt hits 3 rescue off the tee to lay up short of the fairway bunkers Fox flys them by 20 and ends up 70m from the green. Matt has 170m to the green and you are thinking wow Matt is hitting +/- 5 iron in and Fox has a flick wedge. Gotta go now but I will come back to this because it is interesting.

No mate I haven't had the pleasure.. would love to come down sometime, everyone that goes near it raves about it!! I've only played The Dunes which I loved and Moonah legends which I thought was a touch disappointing. Amazing actually that the beach course at 13th Beach doesn't get a bit more air time.. a very good links in my opinion!!

In my prime I guess I probably shot my best scores around my home track or courses that I knew well. Probably got a bit over excited when playing on the K Heat, Royal Melbourne etc but as time goes on I am finding I am playing better away from home where I concentrate far better and like you say on courses that are well prepared etc These days at home I am hitting a lot of lazy shots or not really concentrating which is frustrating!!

In regards to Hçaps I guess you do find a plateau which is dictated by several factors, lessons, quality of teacher, equipment to some extent, talent, time and effort put in... the last 15 years I have hovered between 2 and 4 although with our course rating at the moment and the temporary holes giving me the shits I will be out beyond that if I am not careful. I guess I harbour a desire to get down to scratch even if only for a short while just so that I can say that I did it... but that is a long way off right at the minute!!

18 is a great goal to get to and with a few tweaks here and there it is not too hard to find 4-5 shots a round. Do you get lessons from anyone?

You must play St Andrews Beach.
Shits on the dunes imo

Yeah I have heard that... The dunes is such a fun layout though... I do have a soft spot for it!!

Love the Dunes

Would marry St Andrews over and over again tho

Its a brilliant test of golf

Getting back to the length off the tee for pros thing... It's been really interesting watching the guys that Matt has played with over the last 4-5 years. Length v's accuracy... sure it is an advantage to be 30-40m further down par 4's or par 5's but would you rather be in play on 12-14 out of 14 par 4's and 5's or would you rather be LONG and only in play on 9-10 of them. Sure the bombers will have days when they bomb it down every fairway, but they will also have days when they find the trees pretty regularly, or when a lack of confidence with the driver means that they are forced to gear back and hit 3woods, hybrids or irons off tees.

Michael Long hit 4 drivers all day on Sunday, 1 x 3wood at the down wind reachable 15th and 9 x 2 irons.... In comparison Matt hit 9 drivers, 1 x 3 wood and 4 rescues on the 4 and 5 pars. As a result Matt was more often than not closer to the green than Longy... Both played very well, hit a lot of fairways and greens but there is just a different mindset. Now 13th beach particularly with a little bit of wind around is fairly daunting off a fair few holes.

Where the Bombers have a big advantage is when they play fairly open long tracks with bunker carries and heavy rough. Take the Australian (Aus Open venue last few years) Top 10 this year was Matt Jones, Scott, Speith, Pampling, Cullen, Ogilvy, Price, Tighe, Gibson, Pilkadaris, Sinnott & Rumford... Basically 5 BOMBERS and 4 guys with unbelievable short games. The year before it was pretty similar with Ryan Fox, Sinnott, Scott, Holman, Younger representing the bombers and Speith, Rumford Chalmers representing the short game wizards.

So is it better to be LONG and maybe a bit erratic or short but straight... neither is better than the other which is what makes golf such a great game.

N

how hard is it to get down to low figures? what did you do to get there? i mean, i know some guys off 4, they have great second shots, and stick wedges within a few metres. curious to hear your journey

i did have a few lessons last year, and a bevy of them maybe 4 years ago. problem is playing regularly. and really no time to practice.

how hard is it to get down to low figures? what did you do to get there? i mean, i know some guys off 4, they have great second shots, and stick wedges within a few metres. curious to hear your journey

i did have a few lessons last year, and a bevy of them maybe 4 years ago. problem is playing regularly. and really no time to practice.

Played cricket a decent level as a kid, up until 15 never joined a club but used to play occasionally with mates etc, I guess from cricket I had reasonable hand eye coordination so I started off 20 with no real idea of what I was doing in terms of how to actually play, I could just hit the ball reasonably well. It probably only took me around a year / 18 months to get down to single figures, I had a PE teacher at school who was off scratch or 1 who gave me a fair bit of help and was a member at the same course so improvement was pretty rapid. Made the ACT schoolboys team (yes grew up in Canberra... it's not my fault) in year 12 so I would have been 18 and down to 3 handicap (Adam Scott played for QLD as a 15 year old off scratch) not long after that the first of my mates decided to take a trainee-ship (M Millar) and a year or so later another mate went down that path. I probaby played my best golf (to date, still plenty of room for improvement) in my late twenties early 30's where I was still inconsistent but capable of shooting -4 or -5 on a really good day. Once started a round Birdie, Eagle, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie (shat myself and shot -2 from memory)

Over the years I have enjoyed PLAYING golf too much to become really good at it.. I would always turn up with the intention to hit balls / work on pitching / putting drills etc... but end up going out and playing 9 holes on the course. I wish I had better "work ethic" in a lot of respects as I feel like I could have become a better player. So here I am 39 and only been down to 0.8 under the old system and I guess only this year I have looked at myself and said "You are not getting any younger" and have set myself a goal to put some time and effort into getting down to scratch, even if it is only for a short while!!

Sorry for the essay!

All over the shop today. Thought I would get another round in as my confidence was sky high.

My front nine and back nine were exactly the same, 51 strokes, 12 puts and 17 stableford points. Really wasn't expecting to hit over 100 off the stick but 24 putts is incredible for me - I just put a new (second hand) putter in the bag last week and it has given me so much confidence on the greens.

Back to the practicing my irons for me and need to learn to stop taking the hero escape out of trouble shots :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played cricket a decent level as a kid, up until 15 never joined a club but used to play occasionally with mates etc, I guess from cricket I had reasonable hand eye coordination so I started off 20 with no real idea of what I was doing in terms of how to actually play, I could just hit the ball reasonably well. It probably only took me around a year / 18 months to get down to single figures, I had a PE teacher at school who was off scratch or 1 who gave me a fair bit of help and was a member at the same course so improvement was pretty rapid. Made the ACT schoolboys team (yes grew up in Canberra... it's not my fault) in year 12 so I would have been 18 and down to 3 handicap (Adam Scott played for QLD as a 15 year old off scratch) not long after that the first of my mates decided to take a trainee-ship (M Millar) and a year or so later another mate went down that path. I probaby played my best golf (to date, still plenty of room for improvement) in my late twenties early 30's where I was still inconsistent but capable of shooting -4 or -5 on a really good day. Once started a round Birdie, Eagle, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie (shat myself and shot -2 from memory)

Over the years I have enjoyed PLAYING golf too much to become really good at it.. I would always turn up with the intention to hit balls / work on pitching / putting drills etc... but end up going out and playing 9 holes on the course. I wish I had better "work ethic" in a lot of respects as I feel like I could have become a better player. So here I am 39 and only been down to 0.8 under the old system and I guess only this year I have looked at myself and said "You are not getting any younger" and have set myself a goal to put some time and effort into getting down to scratch, even if it is only for a short while!!

Sorry for the essay!

How often do you play? Practice?

Played RM West-Kingston Heath-Lost Farm-Barnbougle-Cape Wickham in a 9 day period last week. As good as it gets.

Cape Wickham is absolutely fantastic (if you can snag a moderate-ish wind day).

ok. im gonna fap now

Played RM West-Kingston Heath-Lost Farm-Barnbougle-Cape Wickham in a 9 day period last week. As good as it gets.

Cape Wickham is absolutely fantastic (if you can snag a moderate-ish wind day).

Damn you must have deep pockets for all those balls lost :fire:

Good track.
Long if the tees are back

yes it was. tees ok. greens awesome if a littl slow for my liking, but true, so true.

fairways nice. a lot of leaves of course because of the trees lol. a nice track. of course trees, and soil beneath them, are patchy. but hey, dont go in there!

enjoyable course.

clubhouse aged, but ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back