2016 Fed Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow! Had to bail after the first set of the Birrell match so am rapt to see we clinched the tie with a win in the doubles! Great effort from Sam; we needed her to really step up and play her best to win this and she didn't let us down :thumbsu: :)

Just read the scores!
Great win! Happy to be proved wrong in my prediction in how this tie would pan out. Sounds like Stosur really lifted!
Who do we play next in April, is it Italy?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It is a sorry state of affairs that Dellacqua is 30 years old and we haven't been able to produce a local top 100 player on the women's side since she came through as a junior.

Not even female equivalents of Groth/Ebden/Matosevic/Duckworth types that drift in/out of the top 100.

Interesting that Stosur and Dellacqua have 3/6 record in doubles. You'd think they'd make a pretty formidable team given their own success in doubles.

It's pretty disappointing that we haven't produced any top young players since Stosur. We have Dasha only because she decided to leave from Russia.

Let's see if S Tomic ends up a good player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news.

Will Barty be a chance to play a Fed Cup tie or will she need to be on the circuit for another 12 months?

Does anyone know how it works ranking wise for her to begin with?

Good news.

Will Barty be a chance to play a Fed Cup tie or will she need to be on the circuit for another 12 months?

Does anyone know how it works ranking wise for her to begin with?

There are no rules stopping her from playing a Fed Cup tie. As she has spent time out of the game she would need to prove her form. If she came back in good form it would be conceivable that she could be picked to play doubles with Casey straight away. They've reached GS finals and it lessens the load on Sam but who knows how she plays on her return, wait and see.

As for rankings she starts at the bottom. She is unranked. Should be able to pick up points pretty quickly in the Australian ITF events, she is not competing against much.

There are no rules stopping her from playing a Fed Cup tie. As she has spent time out of the game she would need to prove her form. If she came back in good form it would be conceivable that she could be picked to play doubles with Casey straight away. They've reached GS finals and it lessens the load on Sam but who knows how she plays on her return, wait and see.

As for rankings she starts at the bottom. She is unranked. Should be able to pick up points pretty quickly in the Australian ITF events, she is not competing against much.
Oh yep thanks for clearing that up

Apparently we have been seeded for the next Fed Cup round, opponent as yet unknown. Draw to be done at 11pm tonight AEDT.

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2016/02/09/tough-opponents-loom-for-australia
that is just stupid. should just separate them by the losers and the winners. easy. anyway.

according to the article we could face so
USA- hope not, Williams', Sloane and lots of depth afterwards.
Belarus- i think Azarenka does not have to play to play in the Olympics. Azarenka would win her 2 matches if she played. leaves a lot of pressure in the other 3 matches, as Belarus has 2 players inside the top 100 in singles still to contend with.
Spain- no no no no no, Muguruza CSN. yeah, no.
Romania- Halep might be injured(might not), which gives us a chance at least. Niculescu would be very annoying opponent, and they have strong depth.

Our best hope is getting a home tie, and having some players not bothering to turn up to Australia before the clay season starts. that best bet would be a azarenka less Belarus. anything else will be a bridge too far one expects.

Spain would be the worst, as that will be an away tie, likely against very strong opponents. coin toss for USA(really), Belarus and Romania to determine who is at home.

It's probably best to play Belarus or Romania, the other nations have more depth.
dont know about Romania. they have 4-5 players inside the top 100(Begu, Niculescu, Halep Dulgheru and someone just outside). plus a returning Cirstea.

they might have a strong team as well, as some players may need a 3rd nomination this Olympic cycle. (Halep has played 3 times now). they have been playing outside the world group before 2015.

dont know about Romania. they have 4-5 players inside the top 100(Begu, Niculescu, Halep Dulgheru and someone just outside). plus a returning Cirstea.

they might have a strong team as well, as some players may need a 3rd nomination this Olympic cycle. (Halep has played 3 times now)

true, also depends what surface they play on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back